1* Voluntary Redundancy - Did they jump or were they pushed?

Army’s most senior female officer quits amid cuts anger - Telegraph

There has been comment that cuts in troops haven't been matched by cuts in the Army's corporate structure. I'm not sure I totally buy the demoralisation/disillusioned motive (though I suspect it isn't completely insignificant), £100k Salary as part of a £200k package is bloody good in this day and age.

I wonder if they saw a night of the long knives coming (perhaps when A2020 gets its 5th (or 6th?) reshow) and jumped early to beat the rush? Or perhaps were told that there was writing on the wall and jumping early would be appreciated.

Z

Zarathustra

I can't comment on why 1* are jumped/been pushed but I did notice this :

The Royal Irish Regiment, the last single-battalion regiment in the Army, will also escape the axe.

Now I know it's only a small error but the Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots, Irish and Welsh Guards are all 1 Battalion regiments.

My first instinct when I read the article was not that they were pushed. Perhaps it was an honourable resignation (of sorts).

They jumped. I can paraphrase the details but Id prefer to wait until the intellectual heavy hitters of Stonker et al. Have scribbled all over the thread.

R

really?_fascinating

Crow bag. No they are not. You have Bns in suspended animation and PD coys that represent them.

R

really?_fascinating

I cannot for a moment believe Brig Justin was pushed. Do not know the other one, but DCbt would be v well placed to know what is happening.
What is interesting is that Brig Moffat has gone so publicly and the week before the cuts. I expect we will see her on tv giving her reasons soon after the announcement ...

So the head of HR quit. So what? - they are two a penny.
the significance being that she's a lady brigadier who a few weeks ago was espousing the virtues of wimmen's careers in the Army. Lady Brigs aren't 2-a-penny and outside of the AMS i only know of one female OF5 in the Army

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
the significance being that she's a lady brigadier who a few weeks ago was espousing the virtues of wimmen's careers in the Army. Lady Brigs aren't 2-a-penny and outside of the AMS i only know of one female OF5 in the Army
But what has any of that got to do with military capability?

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I know three 1* that went and for them it was all about timing; decent pay off, diminishing opportunities inside and time to do something outside.
(
I'm sure they all looked at where the Armed Forces area heading and made their own conclusions, no-one pushed.

I know three 1* that went and for them it was all about timing; decent pay off, diminishing opportunities inside and time to do something outside.
(
I'm sure they all looked at where the Armed Forces area heading and made their own conclusions, no-one pushed.
£190000 and a circa 45000 pension a year looks appealing to me!

Munch Me

(
Hit nail on head. Contrary to popular belief they are generally quite sharp cookies at that level, and well able to understand what the score is.

R

really?_fascinating

Could it be that, as so many on here always clamour for, she has left because she cannot remain due to her principles? Seems she might have more balls than any of the Generals!

Maybe she jumped. Maybe she was pushed. Maybe it is an Honorable resignation.
Either way, I'll wait for the book to make up my mind.
Cynical, moi!

SK

I cannot for a moment believe Brig Justin was pushed. Do not know the other one, but DCbt would be v well placed to know what is happening.
What is interesting is that Brig Moffat has gone so publicly and the week before the cuts. I expect we will see her on tv giving her reasons soon after the announcement ...
A former colleague of mine doesn't have a very rosey view of Brig unpronouncable. I sent him the link and his rather rapid response (freely decorated with expletives) involved the rearranging of "leaving", "rats", "ship" and "sinking" in to a well known phrase

None of these senior officers (DCbt, DSPS(A), EinC(A) et al) are leaving because of any sort of moral obligation or sense that they've done all they could for their people and now, in principle etc etc. They are leaving now whilst the conditions are good before the next round of redundancies (three times what we've seen so far) price them out of the market.

But there's nothing remarkable in this self-serving attitude. The one consistent message from the chain of command has been "**** you, get on with it". CGS' silence has been deafening.

Serve to lead? **** off.

But there's nothing remarkable in this self-serving attitude. The one consistent message from the chain of command has been "**** you, get on with it". CGS' silence has been deafening.

Serve to lead? **** off.
Well said! I've been critical of CGS before and I'll be critical again - yet another example of his stunning lack of leadership. Just to put things in perspective, the pay off figures for one stars seem pretty good, but they are hardly popstar wages. A Brigadier's lump sum wouldn't buy my house for cash for example and H_M towers is not exactly grand! I don't blame either officer for getting out now while they can, but things are not rosey on the outside and the Tories and their Liberal lackeys seem determined to repeat the Geddes Axe and deflate the economy as much as possible.