1* Voluntary Redundancy - Did they jump or were they pushed?

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by smallbrownprivates, Jun 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Army’s most senior female officer quits amid cuts anger - Telegraph

There has been comment that cuts in troops haven't been matched by cuts in the Army's corporate structure. I'm not sure I totally buy the demoralisation/disillusioned motive (though I suspect it isn't completely insignificant), £100k Salary as part of a £200k package is bloody good in this day and age.

I wonder if they saw a night of the long knives coming (perhaps when A2020 gets its 5th (or 6th?) reshow) and jumped early to beat the rush? Or perhaps were told that there was writing on the wall and jumping early would be appreciated.
  2. I can't comment on why 1* are jumped/been pushed but I did notice this :

The Royal Irish Regiment, the last single-battalion regiment in the Army, will also escape the axe.

Now I know it's only a small error but the Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots, Irish and Welsh Guards are all 1 Battalion regiments.
  3. My first instinct when I read the article was not that they were pushed. Perhaps it was an honourable resignation (of sorts).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. They jumped. I can paraphrase the details but Id prefer to wait until the intellectual heavy hitters of Stonker et al. Have scribbled all over the thread.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Crow bag. No they are not. You have Bns in suspended animation and PD coys that represent them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I cannot for a moment believe Brig Justin was pushed. Do not know the other one, but DCbt would be v well placed to know what is happening.
    What is interesting is that Brig Moffat has gone so publicly and the week before the cuts. I expect we will see her on tv giving her reasons soon after the announcement ...
  7. So the head of HR quit. So what? - they are two a penny.
  8. the significance being that she's a lady brigadier who a few weeks ago was espousing the virtues of wimmen's careers in the Army. Lady Brigs aren't 2-a-penny and outside of the AMS i only know of one female OF5 in the Army
  9. I know of 2 in the Signals.

Munch Me
  10. afraid that says more about your limited exposure to the wider army than anything else mate. 2 just in my corridor.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Isn't this the Brigadier who went on the 'Pride' march in her uniform to the annoyance of the General Staff ?

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

But what has any of that got to do with military capability?
  13. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

I know three 1* that went and for them it was all about timing; decent pay off, diminishing opportunities inside and time to do something outside.
    I'm sure they all looked at where the Armed Forces area heading and made their own conclusions, no-one pushed.
  14. £190000 and a circa 45000 pension a year looks appealing to me!

Munch Me
  15. Hit nail on head. Contrary to popular belief they are generally quite sharp cookies at that level, and well able to understand what the score is.