1 USN KIA, 11 USMC KIA, 10 US Army KIA, 1 USAF KIA

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Oct 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [FONT=&quot]Upon my return from a good week in the UK I was struck by the somber casualty lists-note the variety of places and units involved.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]USN:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Hospital Corpsman Edwin Gonzalez, 22, of North Miami Beach, Fla., died Oct. 8 from wounds sustained from an improvised explosive device while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 2nd Marine Division, Fleet Marine Forces, Atlantic, Camp Lejeune, N.C. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]USMC: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lance Cpl. Scott A. Lynch, 22, of Greenwood Lake, N.Y., died Oct. 6 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cpl. Stephen C. Sockalosky, 21, of Cordele, Ga., died Oct. 6 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Lance Cpl. John T. Sparks, 23, of Chicago, Ill., died Oct. 8 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Lance Cpl. James D. Boelk, 24, of Oceanside, Calif., died Oct. 15 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Lance Cpl. Alec E. Catherwood, 19, of Byron, Ill., died Oct. 14 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Lance Cpl. Irvin M. Ceniceros, 21, of Clarksville, Ark., died Oct. 14 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] The following Marines died Oct. 13 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Cpl. Justin J. Cain, 22, of Manitowoc, Wis. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Lance Cpl. Phillip D. Vinnedge, 19, of Saint Charles, Mo. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Lance Cpl. Joseph E. Rodewald, 21, of Albany, Ore. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Pfc. Victor A. Dew, 20, of Granite Bay, Calif. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] All four Marines were assigned to 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Lance Cpl. Raymon L. A. Johnson, 22, of Midland, Ga., died Oct. 13 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]US ARMY:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Pfc. Jordan M. Byrd, 19, of Grantsville, Utah, died Oct. 13 in Yahya Kheyl, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit using small arms fire. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of three soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. They died Oct. 14 while conducting combat operations between Moqur and Darreh-Ye-Bum, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked their unit with an improvised explosive device. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Killed were: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Sgt. Carlos A. Benitez, 24, of Carrollton, Texas. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Spc. Rafael Martinez Jr., 36, of Spring Valley, Calif. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Pfc. Tramaine J. Billingsley, 20, of Portsmouth, Va. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] They were assigned to the 7th Squadron, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Sgt. Eric C. Newman, 30, of Waynesboro, Miss., died Oct. 14 in Akatzai Kalay, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit using an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to 1st Squadron, 38th Cavalry Regiment, 525th Battlefield Surveillance Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Bragg, N.C.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Pfc. Cody A. Board, 19, of McKinney, Texas, died Oct. 4 at Mirwais, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 1st Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Pfc. Ryane G. Clark, 22, of New London, Minn., died Oct. 4 in Shekhabad, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with small arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades. He was assigned to the 27th Combat Engineer Battalion (Airborne), 20th Combat Engineer Brigade, Fort Bragg, N.C. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Sgt. Karl A. Campbell, 34, of Chiefland, Fla., died Oct. 4 in Babur, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 1st Squadron, 75th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Sgt. Brian J. Pedro, 27, of Rosamond, Calif., died Oct. 2 in Pol-e-Khumri, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with small arms fire and rocket-propelled grenades. He was assigned to the 2nd Engineer Battalion, White Sands Missile Range, N.M. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Spc. Joseph T. Prentler, 20, of Fenwick, Mich., died Oct. 4 in Mama Kariz, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his military vehicle using an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, Vilseck, Germany. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]USAF:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Senior Airman Daniel J. Johnson, 23, of Schiller Park, Ill., died Oct. 5 of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device in Kandahar, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 30th Civil Engineer Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. [/FONT]

2. Thats a ******* big list. Not good

What were you up to this side of the pond? and did you RV with any arrsers?

3. Indeed a bad week for casualties.

I have good friends from the RM and QDG (no Para Mortars I hasten to add) and try to holiday at least quarterly in the Cotswolds area between Bath and Bristol. Hopefully I will be able to lift a pint (Elderflower for me as a tee totaler) with any ARRSERs willing to be seen in a pub with a yank Marine on my next sojourn.

4. Colonel,

Just got back from Italy myself. Keep me informed, I'll go to England with you.

5. R.I.P.

God bless thoughts go out to the famlies left behind.

6. That is one Hell of a butcher's bill...

RIP. My condolances to all those who have lost family and friends.

7. Woah. Thats a sorry list to read JJH.
    With regards to the QDG is that due to affiliation from the first Gulf War?

8. RIP My sympathy to the families involved and to those in their units who are impacted by this loss.

It is an odd feeling reading these lists. I have friends with sons over there, fine young men I have known since they were toddlers. I feel relief that the men I know are not on the list and guilt for feeling the relief when others are grieving. The dad of one was in theater last week for a few days and I worried about him too.

JJH - Glad you are back and hope you are back to full health!!

9. Really bad news, Jim. My sympathies towards all the families, friends and comrades involved.

10. If you're passing through the Midlands next time; stop for lunch. You can watch me quaff a Guinness.
    RIP to all the lads on that long list.

11. How do those figures go down over there JJH? **** knows what would be said over here if the PM had to read out that Casrep. Truly shocking amount of casualties for a week.

12. Actually Bosnia. Affiliation with HM forces in the 1st GW were with "less conventional" units when I was younger and a bit more nimble. ;-)

13. Many thanks to all posters--I was and still am shocked by the toll. Sadly in the US, such news does not even get a passing mention on our traditional "news" sources given their political leanings. While most in the US appear generally unaware of the day to day goings on in the war (a combination of the usual avoidance of such coverage by most of our media as explained below and a pervasive lethargy and self absorption of most Americans, especially due to the economy), I suppose it is even more the case now in the run up to the by election on 2 November since such news does not help our current masters politically.

14. Dreadfully sad reading,It is difficult to understand how such a profound loss can be anything but traumatic,but we in the U.K. often forget how big America is and how diverse the society there is.For what it's worth from an anonymous poster,I can only say I am truly humbled by the sacrifice these Sailors,Marines,Soldiers and Airmen have made,and my heart goes out to their families,friends and colleagues.We must remember the terrible losses the U.S.A. is sustaining,and endeavour to stiffen our own governments resolve to stand firm until a resolution worthy of the awful cost incurred is found.

15. Seconded. Hopefully as winter approaches, this high toll of casualties will fall away.

RIP