1 Royal Welsh and RWF (capbadge picture)

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by fredster, Apr 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi again,

Bugger me if I didn't think I had this project sorted and I find that the very week this project is due in, the 1 RW take over and the info I've got is shot. So, once more my fellow lunatics, anyone know where a decent graphic of the Royal Welsh is to be found? Failing that, the RWF? I've been to see them but they're still in the "what the F**k is going on" mode. Thanks for your help in advance, just a bit behind the curve!!

2. Thanks Barb,

I've had a look at this site and there aren't any decent graphics on it. Anyone else help? It's a real SNAFU situation when you proof read some work to realise 50% of it's wrong.

3. What's with the motto: "Ich Dien" ?
    Is it what i think it is; German for "I Serve" ?

Cheers
    Danny

4. Fredster pm me with all your questions and I'll give you all the help I can. Cloggie motto is "Death rather than dishonour".

5. @Red Dragon; Thanks for the answer.
    I've heard the motto Death before dishonour using by other than the RW too.

6. I am led to believe that the picture on the R Welsh website is of the (once) Adjt of the Green Howards.

Can anyone confirm?

It is also the same picture used by General Dynamics for all the Bowman adverts, strange that considering he is using Clansman!

7. Yes. Old German, I believe.

Cheers, h

8. If I remember rightly, the Prince of Wales's feathers and motto were taken from the crest of the blind King of Bohemia, who was killed at Crecy. I may stand corrected by more astute historians.

9. Indeed, John of Bohemia was advised of the general slaughter and asked to be led into the thick of it. What a guy!.

10. OK, I know not the story about Crecy but I can clear up other matters.

The three feathers and motto (Ich Dien) are the badge and motto of the Colonel of the Regiment, The Prince of Wales hense the German origin.

The motto of the Regiment "Gwell Angau na Chywilydd" is Welsh and its true translation is "Better Death, not Shame" which was adapted into its military setting of "Rather Death than Dishonour".

The reference for this material is A History of The Royal regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot) 1689-1989; J.M. Brereton

11. Ich Dien comes ultimately from Old Saxon the language of that area that is now Hanover. King Horsa the saxon gave us the White Horse of Kent (and Hanover) whose motto is'Invicta Ich Dien' - Unconquered I Serve'.

Blind King John of Bohemia was tied to his horse and launched into battle. The Black Prince was so impressed that he adopted the feathers in King John's helmet as his own badge.

In addition to Welsh Regiments the badge is worn by the PWRR who inherited it from the Middlesex Regiment who were awarded the feathers in 1810 by the 15th Prince of Wales who felt them to be deserving of the honour after their exploits in India.