1 Royal Anglians on patrol in helmand video

Video

Interesting video of a 1 Royal Anglian patrol where they're engaged by a sniper and then a larger firefight ensues. Theres one bloke on there carrying a sniper rifle and a Javelin who has his face pixellated, and yet no one else does, hmmm...

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe he dosen't want the publicity being splashed all over the net?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
smudge67 said:
Maybe he's pixel-man?
Nah he's Andy McNab - it's been known for years

Or it could be that snipers are treated the same by the media ops rules as SF.
At a recent PR shoot with the sun all but 1 of the snipers were not allowed to be photographed.

Still, doesnt explain why the jock lad got plastered all over the press recently.

Just to show how much of a "laser" I am when it comes to faces, but the Lance Jack on that video is the same lad who got interviewed by Ross Kemp on his first Aghan gig as a crow who was fresh into theatre. Obviously coming along leaps and bounds.

The more I hear and see The Royal Anglians, the more I think they are the dogs danglies. They have certainly earnt their battle honours in Afghanistan, top work fellas!

"Sniper".

Right.

It never ceases to amaze me how ONE idiot with a rifle taking pot shots at an element, no matter how ineffective, is deemed worthy of the moniker "sniper".

You can tell when a "sniper" is around because dudes are getting shot....with one round.

John_Mosby said:
"Sniper".

Right.

It never ceases to amaze me how ONE idiot with a rifle taking pot shots at an element, no matter how ineffective, is deemed worthy of the moniker "sniper".

You can tell when a "sniper" is around because dudes are getting shot....with one round.
I've missed a few when on COD 2 with the sniper rifle, fired from the hip. Easy mistaka to make'a.

Spot_the_Dog said:
The more I hear and see The Royal Anglians, the more I think they are the dogs danglies. They have certainly earnt their battle honours in Afghanistan, top work fellas!
We are of course fecking brilliant!!!!!

sneeky_turd said:
Just to show how much of a "laser" I am when it comes to faces, but the Lance Jack on that video is the same lad who got interviewed by Ross Kemp on his first Aghan gig as a crow who was fresh into theatre. Obviously coming along leaps and bounds.
Yeah its him alright. You obvioulsy Dont forget a face. Fast forward to 4:00 mins

Grant mitchell in Afghanistan

Fronty

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I think it was a moderator... Mind you, it won't get rid of much of the sound from a .338 or .308, but it will make it a bit more pleasant for the people next to him when he does shoot.

Those boys make you proud - what an example of being cool, calm and collected under fire. No doubt about it - they are all professional soldiers and I take my hat off to them.

What I find amazing is that they are all younger than my son and they look like they should still be at school!

BTW The Royal Anglians have always been a solid, steady regiment. I saw them in action in Belfast in 1977 and when I did my basic training at Bassingbourne the Platoon sgt and one of the section Cpls were Royal Anglians. The Cpl in particular was an outstanding NCO and set a standard of behaviour that I always tried to copy.

Well done boys!

Rodney2q

Indeed, it shows off the junior leadership of the Britsh Army in an excellent light. Well done guys.

Firstly - That dude with the "Sniper" Moniker, was counter-sniping on a murder hole at a range of 160 metres. So yeah, his pot-shots counted... and that "Idiot" as he was called, well, we know him as "Galvin" and has hit and confirmed plenty in the last six months of his life. A blazing firefight like that; you forget the "One-shot one-kill rule."

Secondly - His face was covered, because they are high profile targets. Worth an extra 30'000 dollars from the Taliban. The guy filming it is a freelance journalist called Vaughn Smith, and is sound as ****.

Thirdly - Yes. I was there.

Fact is; We had no I/Star. The air cover was -not- for us. We fought against platoon strength insurgent groups with whatever we could carry in our hands. The GPMG was worth more on the ground than a million dollar jet. We had to fight them, like they fight us. Only minus the freedom of movement...

...which was fun.