1 Royal Anglian Parade, Guildford 20 Nov

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by henrywicks, Nov 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In addition to the Freedom Marches that 1 R Anglian, recently returned from an exceptional Afghanistan tour, will undertake in Norwich on 22 Nov and Bury St Edmunds on 23 Nov, there is to be a parade through Guildford tomorrow, 20 Nov.

The battalion is stationed in Purbright and this will be a chance for families and friends, as well as the public, to show how much we appreciate all that they and all forces are doing for our country. The details are: Form up at the bottom of the High Street at 1000 and step off at 1030 up the High Street. The Saluting Dias will be at Tunsgate. At Hay Trinity Church the Battalion will then turn off and march down North Street. There is no public reception for any other than the Battalion, though the council have generously laid on a spread for the guys.

Stabilis

2. Morning Henrywicks,

Want to attend but the date of the parade is not clear. It is either tomorrow[thats Tue19 Nov] or its on Wed 20 Nov. Which is it please?

JDB2270

3. Today is the 19th, tomorrow the 20th.

4. Neither as Tuesday is the 20th & Wed is the 21st

However

On Tuesday 20 November, 400 soldiers and a military band from the 1st Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment will be marching through Guildford town centre in a special homecoming parade starting at 10.30am, organised by Guildford Borough Council.

Linky Thing

5. May I be the first to say, well done to Guildford Borough Council.

6. Just a little senior moment there troops!! However it would be nice if I was just one of hundreds of Ex Soldiers/civies on route lining duties TOMMOROW 20th November!!
    All the best and lets hope the weather is better than it is today, its pis*ing down stair rods a the moment

7. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

My first posting was with the Vikings in Colchester, but sadly due to working in London I am unable to attend. However my sister works in Guildford, so she is going to muster as many from her work as possible to stand at the side of the road and cheer as they go past.

All that is left to say is, well done lads, hope it's a nice day for you tomorrow.

8. Today I saw 400 Vikings marching in rain with hundreds of well wishes clapping & cheering, it was something special to see & hear.

I can only imagine how the lads felt.

9. :D Awesome parade, 500+ soldiers, both high streets were lined by decent crowd young and old who applauded them around the whole route. Good feature on the local/London TV news too. Saw lots of local teenage school kids putting their 'tuck' money in the collection buckets wielded by the lads which was pleasing. Well deserved accolade to the guys.

A lot of people say that they would attend these events if only they knew about them in advance, this parade (and the next 2 Vikings parades in Lincs) were advertised in the Sunday press, where are the MOD press officers? :roll:

10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Irritating isn't it? I'm in Camberley and had no idea this was on. And I'm bloody serving! :x

11. "A lot of people say that they would attend these events if only they knew about them in advance, this parade (and the next 2 Vickings parades in Lincs) were advertised in the Sunday press, where are the MOD press officers"

Depends who is organising it - if the unit is doing it locally, then get the PRO to ring up DGMC in London (mod press office) and let them know. They should be able to get the message out - phone number is on the website.

12. Shame the Sun had to overdo it with the advertising but in fairness they printed it and brought it to a wider audience.

Just look at those medal bars!

Welcome home and well done.

[​IMG]