1 R Irish Para Company

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Skinn_Full, May 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard recently that the 1st Battalion Royal Irish are to have a Parachute trained company. Does anyone know if this now exists or is still in the prep stage. Will the blokes attend all arms 'P' Coy or something different? Any info/feedback welcome. Gleaned this from the Army website,

"Future plans also include the formation of a Para Trained Company which will be able to wear the coveted "Green Wings". This move to 16 Air Assault Brigade will see the First Battalion firmly in place to be at the forefront of future Operations around the World."

Cheers easy!

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Skinn,

I think the phrase "future plans" summs it up nicely. It is an aspiration and one I am sure 1RI will work hard to fill. The only way for them to get their wings is via all arms P Coy the BPC at Brize.

Duke

3. Yeah, I kind of worked that one out ;), I was unsure how old the 'future plans' statement was though as I havent been on the Army site for a while.

Cheers Easy!

4. Found this on the Rangers(TA) website;
    "From 2006 we will support 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regiment in the vanguard Air Assault role. We offer the prospect of the Army's tough "P Company" pre-parachute selection course for those men that aspire to earning coveted parachute wings"

Looks like the TA R.Irish getting in on the act as well - good luck to them if they get it off the ground - might be a bit of a logistical nightmare organising para continuation training in NI though!!

5. I had a thought last night re 1 R Irish.

With FAS and the multi battalion regiments, and the disbandment of the Home Service Battalions, the Royal Irish will be a one batallion regiment (well, 2 if you include RANGERS).

The Army head-shed tend not to like one batallion regiment .

Has anyone any thoughts on what might happen?

HVM

6. Politics old chap, Politics....

Otherwise the Royal West Britons (Welsh and Irish).... 8O

7. R IRISH are relatively safe on thegrounds of reprensentation. They wer discountedvery early on in the assumptions stage of FIS on that basis.

8. I've read Skinnful's and Pronto Minor's mails on this subject with interest and have looked on the respective Battalion's websites to see what they have to say about it, however some things strike me as odd, either through ignorance or lack of all the information, neither wilful;

Being part of 16 AAB doesn't mean that the RI are required to do P Coy and have their wings; don't they form the heliborne side of operations with Para Regt providing the parachuting capability? What purpose would it serve for them to do the same courses as Para Regt? If there isn't a case for them to do so, there's no case at all for their TA contemporaries to do the courses. If the argument is used that they're to augment Para Regt then how does that sit with the fact that 4 PARA are the Regt Reserve and have provided large numbers of blokes at short notice to go on ops with the Regular Bns?

Aside of this particular topic but on a related matter, there seems to be an increase in queries regarding individuals from line infantry regiments wanting to do P Coy or AACC but not necessarily to serve in the Regular or TA Para Bns or Regular Cdos or RMR. Genuine question; why is that? To me it seems the simple thing would be to transfer to the appropriate unit - trying to get on the respective course and not going to serve with the Bn or Cdo seems, frankly, odd.

9. Gluck,
    Certainly in 5 AB Bde there were a small number of para slots allocated to each of the airland bns, as I recall this was for the Recce Platoons although the resident Gurkha Battalion managed to get a large part of their Support Company trained - which was why it was fairly easy for them to provide a fully para trained GRC at short notice to 2 Para a few years back. I assume that the same has been carried over to air assault battalions in 16AA.
    If battalions are going to stay in post and with the same formation without arms plotting it might be seen as a useful recruiting tool for them in their own recruiting areas, kind of "you don't need to join the para reg, look join your own local regiment, and you can still parachute"
    As for any useful role - likewise I can't see it but probably more along the lines of a gizit for senior soldiers to keep them on board - of course if they could get a complete Rifle Company fully trained (and keep it that way) that might put a different spin on things.
    Now as for all and sundry in the TA seemly being offered P Coy, could this not be linked in with the regimental tie ups which are a part of FAS(TA)? ie. The Rangers are now tied to 1 Royal Irish, who are tied to 16 AA Bde. Therefore if the regular battalion gets para slots so do the TA - as they would provide pax on mobilisation? Perhaps that might also explain the story of Yeomanry being offered P Coy which was on another thread - one of the QOY squadrons must now be tied to the HCR who have an operational role to provide a para trained troop to 16 AA? ........or might it just be a case of the Trg Major/PSI getting carried away with himself chatting to the toms in the bar at end of a training night.............

10. PM

Thanks for your response - i knew about the Gurkhas in 2 PARA, they never seemed to know what 'steer away' meant.

What you state all sounds reasonable enough but i can't help thinking that offering P Coy and BPC to non-Para roled TA units on the basis of Regimental tie-ups is tenuous. If it's seen as a gizzit or ally thing to do in a Regular unit, what are the odds on it being offered to TA soldiers? Slim, i think.

11. 1 Royal Irish already have more than a few para trained soldiers in their ranks already, the para side of things is being pushed to it's full potential. 51 Sqn RE have also become a para sqn.

BBM

12. BBM

Did those blokes get their wings through being posted elsewhere for a period of time, transferring in to RI or as part of this new idea? I acknowledge that in the former 2 cases, many units will have blokes with their wings, each having their own history to earning them.

My observation is more along the following; that where, for instance, there are non-Airborne Arms/Corps units, there will be an airborne unit within that organisation and possibly a TA airborne unit too. In this example you have infantry, airborne infantry and TA airborne infantry - what is the reasoning behind the need to have more infantry go airborne? It might be simplistic but if you want to be an airborne infanteer you join Para Regt, if you want to serve in your local regt you join them.

13. One of our lance corporals in the Rangers did P Coy when he was attached to 1 Royal Irish several years ago (just after an ops tour in Kosovo with them), when they were originally part of 16AA.

Our PSAO has told us that it will be offered selectively to TA Rangers within the next few years as 1 Royal Irish adapt to the new role in 16AA.

14. 1 RI did a stint with 16AA before (Telic 1). They were more than keen to push guys through P-Company (Tim Collins has wings from a stint with the SAS). As an organisation they are very pro
    P-company and this desire made them the natural choice to serve long term with 16 AA.
    I should imagine they still have quite a few para trained soldiers serving, on the news footage from Telic 1 there are quite a few with wings up.

It's an extra incentive for recruiting soldiers and i am sure a whole para company will be easy to acheive within a relatively short time.(Remember we had the Guards para company and there are currently a platoon of guards soldiers serving in 3 para).

With the loss of 1 Para from the brigade structure 1 RI also fill a parachute role (albeit on a small scale)

15. I served with both 5AB and 16AA Bdes, it has always been policy to allow the airland/air assault infantry battalions to raise a parachute trained company during their roulement with the brigade. All the volunteers in question attended the All Arms P Company.
    As BBM mentioned in his post the reason 1 Royal Irish have a certain number of para trained individuals within their ranks is that the battalion has already had a roulement with 16AA Bde at the beginning of the decade.