Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

1% Pay Rise from 2013

But compared to other Army's you blokes are getting royally ripped off.
I'm a 24yr old L/Cpl in Australia's who's been regular for 5 years and thinking about jumping across to your mob for the experience.
I'm pulling in around $58,000 (37,000ish pounds) a year with all my incidentals and allowances. Overseas we're earning $4500 a fortnight tax free!
For my side of the world, your pay looks awful and almost not enough to live on! No wonder so many of you are jumping ship and coming over here. Our Army needs blokes with experience and we're offering tens of thousands of pounds more then you earn. Its a joke.

I am on holiday in Strilya at the moment (Perth) Food is extortionate, as is beer. Went to a nature park yesterday, and paid the equivalent of 60 quid for 4 of us to walk around a posh farm. The Aussies are catching us up in rip off UK that's for sure!!

Bet they'd stamp on those allowances if you started sending more than a handful of blokes overseas though.
Good on ya. Our government is piss weak and gutless and every bloke in the combat corps reckons we need more chaps overseas. But for the 2000 or so in Afghan, they're earning $5000 tax free a fortnight. The blokes in Timor and the Solomons are earning a bit less but still stupid amounts.
If you feel the need to slag that off then you must be doing pretty well.

And on Australia being expensive, your spot on. Its a loud of rubbish. The point I'm trying to say though is that you lot seem to be getting ripped off financially. We've been offered a 3% pay increase every year for 3 years and blokes are disappointed. I'm quite impressed by how philosophical you chaps are about getting a 1% increase.

Good on ya. Our government is piss weak and gutless and every bloke in the combat corps reckons we need more chaps overseas. But for the 2000 or so in Afghan, they're earning $5000 tax free a fortnight. The blokes in Timor and the Solomons are earning a bit less but still stupid amounts.
If you feel the need to slag that off then you must be doing pretty well.

And on Australia being expensive, your spot on. Its a loud of rubbish. The point I'm trying to say though is that you lot seem to be getting ripped off financially. We've been offered a 3% pay increase every year for 3 years and blokes are disappointed. I'm quite impressed by how philosophical you chaps are about getting a 1% increase.

That's 3% compounded, right? Impressive. And you want to come over to the UK. You are, sir, a mentalist!

Actually, with the Australians, I know a reasonable number of senior Australian Officers and they are extremely candid that they have a major retention issue and pay issue. Why do you think there are always adverts for people to go join the ADF from overseas? Simply because they cant keep their best & brightest in. I've heard it said that the ADF is great for a career, providing you already have an in service pension to back you up.

As for the original comment - HM Forces are reasonably well paid at all levels - a private on completion of training is earning £17K for a job with no formal qualifications, and during a HERRICK tour can expect another £4-5K on top of that with allowances. £22K per year isn't bad, particularly when you throw in a decent accommodation package which gives a room for a low cost, and an excellent sports / support system as well.

Don't forget that all areas need relatively low starting wages, otherwise you'd be paying a fortune further up the line to keep the more experienced people in - as it happens, the average wage in the UK is about £23-24K per year, and based on some research via DASA website, well in excess of 60% of the armed forces earn over £26K per year. So in other words, the majority of HM Forces earn way more than the national average - and thats before allowances / accom / package are taken into account. For a job which you can join with no formal qualifications, thats not a bad deal at all.

Stop being a righteous dick. There's no money. If you don't like the pay, get a real job.

Oh dear, can I suggest that you read the thread.

I've had 2 jobs over the last 45 years, 25 years army, 20 years as a middle manager in the private sector. I took early retirement at 60.

I obviously jumped in with both feet thinking that soldiers, especially young ones, deserved a better deal. I was wrong. They seem to be happy with their pay cut and not at all bothered that their input to the present financial crisis was zero, and, to their credit, are quite happy to pay for the catastrophic mistakes of others. I was just being protective. It would appear that makes me a (self)righteous dick

I'm happy with my CPI indexed army pension and my final salary private sector pension which, incidentally, went up by 3% this year.
So you see I have no intention of getting a real job or any job at all because I can afford not to.

Merry Christmas

Oh dear, can I suggest that you read the thread.

I've had 2 jobs over the last 45 years, 25 years army, 20 years as a middle manager in the private sector. I took early retirement at 60.

I obviously jumped in with both feet thinking that soldiers, especially young ones, deserved a better deal. I was wrong. They seem to be happy with their pay cut and not at all bothered that their input to the present financial crisis was zero, and, to their credit, are quite happy to pay for the catastrophic mistakes of others. I was just being protective. It would appear that makes me a (self)righteous dick

I'm happy with my CPI indexed army pension and my final salary private sector pension which, incidentally, went up by 3% this year.
So you see I have no intention of getting a real job or any job at all because I can afford not to.

Merry Christmas

I was going to say that I supported your arguments in principle but then I read your self satisfied final paragraph so instead **** off you civvy **** and bore someone else

I was going to say that I supported your arguments in principle but then I read your self satisfied final paragraph so instead **** off you civvy **** and bore someone else

Really, you thought that the final paragraph was over the top in reply to DeltaDog's measured input?

I work in the Public Sector and have been on a 2 year pay freeze and been told that the "maximum" increase I will get from 2012/13 will be 1% for the next 2 years. I will have to pay an extra 3% of my wages twds my pension and suffer the same inflationary impact as everybody else. Now I am all for fighting our own corners but can the original poster please explain where "no-one is taking a hit like the Armed Forces" ? As someone said to me recently "welcome to working for the Government in a time of recession".

So why don't you go back to college/ uni to do a part time professional course, get higher qualifications and set yourself higher goals......and get paid better for it!

I've already told you they will get at least one increment level a year for 3 to 4 years (plus a few more during that time) and yet you dont seem to know anything about it. You are certainly making yourself look ill informed.

I've already told you they will get at least one increment level a year for 3 to 4 years (plus a few more during that time) and yet you dont seem to know anything about it. You are certainly making yourself look ill informed.

Jesus H Christ! Is the volunteer who comes in to read for you off sick or what? This was a reply to someone who hadn't read the thread. It was individual specific and not a general post carrying on the thread for you to stick your ******* nose into you boring twat! I was explaining to some ******* pox infested knob jockey that, yes, I had gone off half cocked and made a dick of myself. So **** off. Please, please read before you come out with your constant drivel and find someone else who gives a **** about what you have or have not already told them. Cnut

DeltaDog. Perhaps you could give me guidence on gratuitous swearing and needless insults as I feel that this effort was less than effective and way below the standard required on this forum

Jesus H Christ! Is the volunteer who comes in to read for you off sick or what? This was a reply to someone who hadn't read the thread. It was individual specific and not a general post carrying on the thread for you to stick your ******* nose into you boring twat! I was explaining to some ******* pox infested knob jockey that, yes, I had gone off half cocked and made a dick of myself. So **** off. Please, please read before you come out with your constant drivel and find someone else who gives a **** about what you have or have not already told them. Cnut

DeltaDog. Perhaps you could give me guidence on gratuitous swearing and needless insults as I feel that this effort was less than effective and way below the standard required on this forum

Temper temper, Mr ill informed. Get yourself over to the NDM thread, your fake outrage will be better suited there.