Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

1% Pay Rise from 2013

I remember as a young LCpl being very strapped for cash. I was married, which was my choice, but I never felt able to splash cash about. Perhaps times really have changed and squaddies get loads of dosh but somehow I doubt it and i still feel that there is a case for protecting them despite your argument of supply and demand and low expectations of our recruits.

I remember as a young un the wages didn't always stretch the month.
However compared to alot of mates who were on YTS etc I was well off

I would wager that across an age range now young soldiers are stil well off compared to alot of their mates.
On Telic 4 the young troopers seemed to have a fair bit banked due to tour allowance and bonuses etc

I would say it's never been a beter time to be in.

I still don't undrestand where you are getting pay cut from?

They used to give you a pay rise and get if back in food and acommodation but to be honest you never noticed anyway only what fell in the bank.

Your points are, by and large, valid. However, my objection was to the pay cut via inflation which even if it does reach the magical 2% will still be a pay cut each and every year until they decide to change it.

Well lots of employers have being paying below inflation pay rises for the last 3 years.

I remember as a young un the wages didn't always stretch the month.
However compared to alot of mates who were on YTS etc I was well off

I would wager that across an age range now young soldiers are stil well off compared to alot of their mates.
On Telic 4 the young troopers seemed to have a fair bit banked due to tour allowance and bonuses etc

I would say it's never been a beter time to be in.

I still don't undrestand where you are getting pay cut from?

They used to give you a pay rise and get if back in food and acommodation but to be honest you never noticed anyway only what fell in the bank.

I think he means that due to getting a pay rise of only 1% we will get a pay cut in real terms as costs will rise higher than wages.

I agree that soldiers are paid reasonably, and don't have much to complain about but I reject the idea that tour allowances and bonuses should be seen as making up the money

I care not a toss for myself as I am long ,long past being part of the green machine. My Army pension is index linked albeit to CPI and so is my company pension and it's only a few months before I get my recently increased by 5% Old Age Pension.
So I guess I should follow your lead and leave the poorest in OUR community to go to hell in a hand cart....................

You do know of course that the "poorest in OUR community" will be getting an raise in increment level every year for about 3 to 4 years (plus two to three more related to passing out of training and doing upgrading courses) on top of their 1%.

Mercer is a retired officer who commanded a regiment and seems to have forgotten, if indeed he ever knew, just how poorly paid our very junior NCO's and private soldiers really are.

Well personally I feel I get paid quite well but who am I to argue against potentially receiving more dosh.

£16-17k was the average number I heard Jocks stating after a full H14. Not bad eh.

I remember as a young LCpl being very strapped for cash. I was married, which was my choice, but I never felt able to splash cash about. Perhaps times really have changed and squaddies get loads of dosh but somehow I doubt it and i still feel that there is a case for protecting them despite your argument of supply and demand and low expectations of our recruits.

I'm married as well & although obviously the housing is heavily subsidised (<£200 for a spacious good quality 2 bedroom apartment in a block, cheers easy) get by quite comfortably once I pay for her car, dog, internet / telephone bill, food etc.

I haven't had a payrise for 3 years and I'm only 28. I think you lot should be counting your lucky stars.

Nuff respect for the hard graft you put in looking after Queen and Country though.

As much as I would love a pay rise (and let's face it, who wouldn't?), I find it very hard to complain about my wages at the moment.

On ops we get a pretty generous bonus, especially when compared to some of our allies. Likewise on exercise there's lsa and other allowances.

I've got a guaranteed wage each month, a cheap as chips 3 bedroom house, childcare vouchers, clothes on my back and job security. Which is a lot better than alot of civvies can say and indeed alot of other public sector workers can say.

I can get though an average week by doin as little as 8 hours tangible, actual WORK whilst in camp, and get paid about 26k for my trouble. Cheers easy I say. Civvie street can ram it.

As much as I would love a pay rise (and let's face it, who wouldn't?), I find it very hard to complain about my wages at the moment.

On ops we get a pretty generous bonus, especially when compared to some of our allies. Likewise on exercise there's lsa and other allowances.

I've got a guaranteed wage each month, a cheap as chips 3 bedroom house, childcare vouchers, clothes on my back and job security. Which is a lot better than alot of civvies can say and indeed alot of other public sector workers can say.

I can get though an average week by doin as little as 8 hours tangible, actual WORK whilst in camp, and get paid about 26k for my trouble. Cheers easy I say. Civvie street can ram it.

Well said, that man. The OP appears to be getting outraged on behalf of others, who actually aren't that bothered in the first place.

Would I like a payrise? .......Yes
Am I botherd if I dont get one? .........Not realy.

Ive been in 5 years, I earn 27k and I'm more than happy. Like someone else said, I probably pull in about 8 hours of actual work a week.

But compared to other Army's you blokes are getting royally ripped off.
I'm a 24yr old L/Cpl in Australia's who's been regular for 5 years and thinking about jumping across to your mob for the experience.
I'm pulling in around $58,000 (37,000ish pounds) a year with all my incidentals and allowances. Overseas we're earning $4500 a fortnight tax free!
For my side of the world, your pay looks awful and almost not enough to live on! No wonder so many of you are jumping ship and coming over here. Our Army needs blokes with experience and we're offering tens of thousands of pounds more then you earn. Its a joke.

But compared to other Army's you blokes are getting royally ripped off.
I'm a 24yr old L/Cpl in Australia's who's been regular for 5 years and thinking about jumping across to your mob for the experience.
I'm pulling in around $58,000 (37,000ish pounds) a year with all my incidentals and allowances. Overseas we're earning $4500 a fortnight tax free!
For my side of the world, your pay looks awful and almost not enough to live on! No wonder so many of you are jumping ship and coming over here. Our Army needs blokes with experience and we're offering tens of thousands of pounds more then you earn. Its a joke.

Bet they'd stamp on those allowances if you started sending more than a handful of blokes overseas though.

If this has started somewhere else I apologise.

I listened to Patrick Mercer MP gobbing off on 5 Live yesterday about the forces pay rise being limited to 1% from 2013. His response to the question that it seems to be a pay cut was that 'a large proportion of the forces didn't go on operations and that operational allowances have been increased' ?!?

Mercer is a retired officer who commanded a regiment and seems to have forgotten, if indeed he ever knew, just how poorly paid our very junior NCO's and private soldiers really are.

I have just emailed Mercer and given him a piece of my mind (something I can ill afford to do!) and also pointed out the obvious high rate of inflation and the slim chances of it ever reaching the 2% target.

This is his office email address should you wish to make a comment: admin@newarkconservatives.com

Stop being a righteous dick. There's no money. If you don't like the pay, get a real job.