1 Para

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Bondi-Babe-Magnet, Apr 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did the whole of 1 Para form part of the new special forces regiment or just part of them. I heard that 500 of them are part of it.
    Did any blokes leave to beef up the other 2 Bn's.
    I take it 1 Para were the natural choice as they were under strength -can anyone in the know enlighten me ?

2. i was under the impression it was around 450 men from 1para and 200 guys from the marines and RAF regiment

3. how many in a battalion?

4. What i meant was were 1 para only 500 strong or were they a full Bn of 650.
    Did they lose 150 blokes to the other Bn's or were they understrength to begin with ?

5. So do 1 PARA still exist.....have they been permanently re-assigned or are they merely attached to the SFSG? Will they be rotating 2 and 3 PARA around with them?

Rab

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

1 Para still exist, and are the permanent core of SFSG. New soldiers now post into 2 or 3 Para, and have the option to go to 1 Para after a few years service.

Edited to add 1 Para were the natural choice because they had carried out the role before. They were no more undermanned than the other Bn's, but their structure has now changed slightly to fit the role.

7. look here:

SFSG

8. There are some soldiers from 2 & 3 PARA that have gone across so 1 PARA probably didn't have enough blokes for the role.

9. All the Parachute Regiment Battalions swap men around to widen their experience. Any one who has spent any amount of time in this regiment could have served in all three battalions. Not only do swap men around they also swap weapons so that the Battalion that is on active Service will ever thing they require and more besides.

10. All the Parachute Regiment Battalions swap men around to widen their experience. Any one who has spent any amount of time in this regiment could have served in all three battalions. Not only do swap men around they also swap weapons so that the Battalion that is on active Service will ever thing they require and more besides.