1 DERR, Minden, 1969

I took this photograph from the BAOR forum. A poster had provided the photo, but no details. It looks like it was originally from a magazine. There was no information as to which barracks in Minden it is.

Details I noticed were the combination of DPM and OG uniforms being worn, four Ferrets, six Wombats and six mortars. Lots of Land Rovers and FV 432s, and a Band. I do have a question... what are those boxy looking things on the top of the APC's in the front row, directly behind the vehicle commanders? There's some of the same version at the head of each row of carriers.

And I like the aprons on the pioneers.

Cheers,
Dan.

Yep, luckily i spent most of my time just down the road in Westminster Bks away from Bn HQ.

No idea about the boxes...local mod full of mess silver, Bn Flags and other existential kit for Active edge?

Last edited:
I spent just over two years in Elizabeth Barracks on the other side of town.
We had the Mk1 432 and I think that some of them had the bins on top as well. I think the bins were used for storing the canvas and tentage necessary to make up command posts - the bits that were added on to the back of 432s. Were they referred to as 'penthouses'?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's Clifton Barracks. According to the write-up with the following link, the 432s with bins are command vehicles.

Clifton Barracks
Between 77 and 84, 15/19H were colocated in Alanbrooke BKS Paderborn with TF Echo HQ & Signals Troop (later 33 Armd Bde HQ & Signals Sqn after Spearpoint and the dropping of the task forces).

They were mounted in lots of dirty smelly 432s, and my memory is of boxes like this on the roof, so I'm sure you're right.

I spent just over two years in Elizabeth Barracks on the other side of town.
We had the Mk1 432 and I think that some of them had the bins on top as well. I think the bins were used for storing the canvas and tentage necessary to make up command posts - the bits that were added on to the back of 432s. Were they referred to as 'penthouses'?

Ah, our fellow fisticuff boys

Yep, luckily i spent most of my time just done the road in Westminster Bks away from Bn HQ.I was stationed at Westminster with frg and recovery from 66 to 71,also did a stint with 1DERR at the urban warfare centre sennelager,westminster and clifton are all residential flats now, half the family still lives on simeonsstrasse

No idea about the boxes...local mod full of mess silver, Bn Flags and other existential kit for Active edge?

I was in that barracks from April 1971 to March 1973 in the LAD, initially with 1 Kings and then 3 LI.

The LAD bar was in the block on the rear right at the top of the block, alright going but awkward if you'd had a few coming back down.

I enjoyed my time there, no kids and my wife working in HQ REME up near the NAAFI so double income!

The photo appears on page 36, Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire) by Martin McIntyre in association with the RGB&W Regimental Museum Tempus Publishing Limited.
The caption

IMG_20180316_124618196_HDR~3.jpg

Last edited:
Would any of the canvas or rubber and other gear on the AFV roofs be to do with floatation devices or am I way out with that one?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Would any of the canvas or rubber and other gear on the AFV roofs be to do with floatation devices or am I way out with that one?
Not a 432 expert but I believe that like CVR(T), the flotation gear was entirely contained in a ring around the outside.

Not a 432 expert but I believe that like CVR(T), the flotation gear was entirely contained in a ring around the outside.
Yes. I've tried to annotate the metal cover in the attached pic. I don't remember seeing many 432s with the flotation gear - I think it was taken off and removed for safekeeping. There was also some kind of buoyancy bag that mounted on the front glacis plate.

FV432.jpg

Yes. I've tried to annotate the metal cover in the attached pic. I don't remember seeing many 432s with the flotation gear - I think it was taken off and removed for safekeeping. There was also some kind of buoyancy bag that mounted on the front glacis plate.

View attachment 326606
Ta, there's a photo of a 1 DERR vehicle with screen up and the buoancy bag on front in the DERR book I mentioned a couple of posts ago.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

View attachment 326606
We took ours off about 80-81 after it had been demonstrated that there were no rivers suitable to wade in a CVR(T) in the 1 Br Corps area because the angle down the banks was wrong.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Storage box, local modification.

You can'tbeat a good local box mod on an incredibly expensive military vehicle. Do you think it drives the manufacturer up the wall?

"Ah yes, another lovely wagon ready to fight the good fight. Look at the compliment of weap..... Those bastards have done it again!! They've weilded a ******* tin box on top haven't they?? **** SAKE"

Generally used for storing whatever shit you didn't want cluttering up inside, some had cam nets and poles, or spare barrels and the like.

We were ordered to strip them off after we literally ripped the **** out of it, with a single Spartan sporting no less than five bin mods including a large cage on the back. Apparently an illegal bin mod falling onto the motorway during a fleet move causes issues.

I took this photograph from the BAOR forum. A poster had provided the photo, but no details. It looks like it was originally from a magazine. There was no information as to which barracks in Minden it is.

Details I noticed were the combination of DPM and OG uniforms being worn, four Ferrets, six Wombats and six mortars. Lots of Land Rovers and FV 432s, and a Band. I do have a question... what are those boxy looking things on the top of the APC's in the front row, directly behind the vehicle commanders? There's some of the same version at the head of each row of carriers.

And I like the aprons on the pioneers.

Cheers,
Dan.
The pic is dated as '66 later in the thread.
I wonder much much of the kit in the pic is still in service.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Guaranteed some of those 432s were upgraded and taken to Iraq around 2008.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Storage box, local modification.

You can'tbeat a good local box mod on an incredibly expensive military vehicle. Do you think it drives the manufacturer up the wall?

SNIP

We were ordered to strip them off after we literally ripped the **** out of it, with a single Spartan sporting no less than five bin mods including a large cage on the back. Apparently an illegal bin mod falling onto the motorway during a fleet move causes issues.
After we removed the floatation screens from our CVR(T)s, we had a wide platform, with lots of holes in where the former had been screwed on.

We also still had a dire stowage problem. So we *cough* acquired lots of Chieftain bins and reinvented Scorpion stowage.

When Scorpion came to a midlife upgrade, apart from moving (from below to above the flotation screen frame) and enlarging (4"-6" I think) the headlights, the most significant visible change was lots of stowage bins.

Then they binned Scorpion.

According to the book by Martin McIntyre the photo was taken in 1969 (I was too idle to type up the long caption), the Bn moved to Germany in 1966.

Latest Threads