1 day tabata sprinting a week?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by rg1991, Mar 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if there's any point me doing this traing once a week, looking around on websites it says that it should be done 3-4 times a week but my routine doesn't give me more than 1 day to do it because I'm mainly working on endurance, so my question is will I see any speed improvement on my 1.5 miler only doing these tabata sprints once a week?
    Thanks in advanced

2. Yep.

You're working to fatique, so if you're doing anything else, 3-4 times a week is impractical.

3. I might sound thick are you sayin there's no point or there is?

4. There is a point to doing it. You're overtaking your fast twitch muscles and not allowing proper recovery.

Sorry, I was just trying to explain that even though they say you should do it 3-4 times a week, they are assuming that is the only form of exercise you perform. In reality once-twice a week with other exercise (football, martial arts, rugby, weight training, anything taxing reall) is ideal.

I was reading about elite distance runners from africa a little while ago. They perform only 1-2 fast runs (ie taxing) a week, the other 10-11 runs (they do 2 a dayers) are easy paced runs that don't overtax them, but allow for a sustainable longer term adaption.

5. Ah rite all good then. Cheers mate

6. It's only 4 minutes of graft really, I personally knock out Tabata sprints at the end of every distance run.

It's only when I'm on a best effort 2 miler or below that I don't bother as I'm suitably fried at the end!

7. msr

msr LE

Read the original:

In Tabata's study, the researchers found that guys who used the routine five days a week for six weeks improved their maximum aerobic capacity (a measure of your body's ability to consume oxygen--the more oxygen you can take in, the longer and harder you'll be able to run) by 14%. What's more, it also improved anaerobic capacity (which measures your speed endurance, or the duration you're able to sprint at full effort) by 28%. So the Tabata Protocol is the rare workout that benefits both endurance athletes and sprinters--hard to accomplish. Consider: A study of traditional aerobic training--running at 70% of aerobic capacity for 60 minutes--for the same number of weeks showed an improvement in aerobic capacity of 9.5% and no effect on anaerobic capacity.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_5_20/ai_n6011850

msr

8. From the webpage you linked

You can do it more often, but if you're fried from other training sessions (I do a sport and this original poster was talking about endurance sessions so I'm not sure how adapted to it he is), putting it in more often might lead to injuries/overtraining (well, under resting really).
    It depends on work capacity as well.

edit- unless you're saying he could replace a session or two and put tabata in instead. He's stating endurance, so I didn't want to assume just running (I always think triathalon for some reason when someone says endurance).

9. Never heard of this before guys, but looks really quite interesting. I'm going to see if I can incorporate this into some of my PT lessons. Not sure the lads/lasses at my unit will thank you for bringing this to my attention though!

-Tango

10. The good thing about indoor machines is that you can really play with the resistance to find the absolute spot that wrecks you on intervals. Outdoors can have more variables.

11. Looking at the article, the effort needs to be 170% of VO2 max, so it is a really, really violent 20 seconds - sprinting uphill, or similar

http://www.pponline.co.uk/node/39413

This looks like quite a smart way of doing it - keep the belt on a treadmill uphill running and step on and off for the efforts, although you might end up on your face (or that's what the worrymonger health and safety types will tell you)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1996760918255030757

12. I tried the Tabata method earlier on today - I do interval training a couple of times a week, but the Tabata protocol is very specific - 170% of maximal oxygen consumption for twenty seconds, ten second rests, repeat, total failure in six to seven efforts.

I thought the problem would be hitting 1.7 times maximum, and it was. I'm past my best and not that fit, but I reckoned 13-14kph up a 15% slope might do it. In reality to hit total failure I'd have to go a bit quicker, and at that stage you start taxing your leg muscles as much as your heart and lungs.

20 seconds work and 10 seconds recovery is finely judged - you think, "It's only 20 seconds", so you start, manage it, and then the real distress starts on the recovery.

The internet is full of "weight training Tabata", Tabata sessions on ellliptical trainers..........I think the only way most people can reach 170% of maximum is flat out running up a hill. If most people can do (say) 350 watts at maximal aerobic output I doubt they could do 595w doing anything else.

I felt dead brilliant once it was over, and I feel as if my lings have stretched. I can't stop taking deeper than normal breaths.

I wonder if combining a Tabata interval session - mug of tea and a banana ten minute recovery - then Mike Mentzer one set to failure high intensity weight session every five days would give you nearly all the benefits of training for hardly any time.

13. A good routine is tabata every other day, combined with a weights session one non tabata day and an intervals session or long hily run the next. Works for me anyway. I have to take one day off a week too though.

If you like tabata you should have a look at www.crossfit.com too. The regime is tough (its taking me a while to get up to the standard where I can complete the recommended sessions) but it takes your fitness up an order of magnitude.

14. I've just given it a go for the first time, and I'm utterly bolloxed. I had my girlfriend standing on the sidelines with a stopwatch and a whistle. All the whistling confused the dog no end. I think he got an even better workout than I did. :)