1.9m on benefit should go back to work

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Feb 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, what a difference the Gobmint finally waking up to the stark fact they are skint and not having a self serving cowardly gobshite in charge makes.

Gordon Brown fought against this before he became PM because he was afraid it would ruin his chances and create a toxic legacy.

Alistair Darling is not playing the Broonite toerag any more and has made it clear he will not carry the can for ten years of failure, so hard action is required now.

And the last obstacle, Peter Hain who had been "worried about the Left" and so did SFA, is gone.

I see opportunities if there are to be companies springing up to "motivate" people who are really capable of work but bone idle. He is right that if you put it in pure fiscal reward terms, why would anybody waste resources trying to force a person clearly incapable of holding down a job for three years into work? A Government might because it gives them numbers to play with and crow about but not a private company because that is dumb.

However since the Gobmint will be unable to stop interfering always a danger that the very thing Mr Freud see as a danger will come into play:

"He wants a combination of carrots and sticks to persuade people to take jobs. "You have to slice the benefits [if people won't work] but if you're not spending the money to provide the services, the stick is just a vengeful and useless way of beating people."

2. Get 'em all back to work. No more "unemployed", more "state employed". There is a lot of graffitee to remove, litter to collect and roads to sweep. 6 hours a day working on a works party, you get your dole. If that is beyond your grasp... no money.

Those who can't do manual labour can do other things.
  3. No Work, No Money, simple
  4. My absolute favourite hobby horse. Mainly because it winds so many people up.

First, a little 'numbers' game...

No. of people who gubmint wants to go back to work = 1.9m
    No. of vacancies on file with T&EA UK wide (approx.) = 600,000.

Work for benefits.... Aside from the fact that it's plain illegal*, it costs more to administer and action than it does to just pay dole. The Govt. are aware of this, but don't like saying so... Simply because there really isn't any solution to the 'benefit culture' which has been created in the UK over the past three generations, no short term one anyway. It's the price that you have to pay for having a universal welfare system, there will always be skivers and no matter what requirements you put in place... They will meet them. After all, it's their only 'occupation'.

Past Govts. Have been content to allow malingerers and borderline cases to stay on incapacity because it keeps the unemployment figure artifically low. It seems the current mob have espied a method of cutting costs a tad.

I predict that a new benefit will appear, effectively a lower rate of incapacity benefit , for those adjudged 'capable' of some form of work. They still wont be unemployed but they'll get the same cheque as someone who is... About £55 a week for a single, childless person (amongst the lowest in Europe, incidently).

* There's a requirement to pay minimum wage, unless the 'candidate' can be said to be 'in training' there's a maximum period of (I think) 11 months and attendance at a formal institute of education is mandatory. That's why those on New Deal end up with NVQs in floor mopping. Which, perhaps ironically, if somewhat predictably can (in some cases) actually be seen as negative issues in the search for 'real' work. My current employer warns those in HR not to bin CVs which mention time on training schemes, as it's a discrimination issue. But it's apparently common practice.
  5. But not quite as low as Romania - a country that could teach Gordon a thing or two.

Vast herds of municipal goats are the key to welfare reform IMHO (are you awake yet Sven - have you got a big garden?).

The National Audit Office published a report about a year ago stating that one third of British households get most or all of their income from benefits. Even a rich country like Britain can't afford that. If we don't get people out of the benefits lifestyle nurtured by Labour and Tories alike, the welfare bill will bankrupt our economy.

The solutions being proposed are too complex and too susceptible to fraud to work. Welfare dependence is too deeply ingrained. We'll need to do something drastic like stopping benefits after 5 years or dishing out food stamps instead of benefits, as happens in America.

Either that or we could reintroduce slavery.
  6. Two pointers spring to mind 1)Overall the state educational system is incapable of turning out much beyond dross and deadweights 2) There are virtually no big industries that can take thousands of completely useless people in the UK anymore. No coal mines, steel mills or ship yards where the useless do learn that being stupid will get them killed.

So, we're kinda stuck with at least 3 generations of the bone idle, work shy and useless........
  7. Aye, well you've actually summed it up better than I could.

There's no real, workable solution and the cheapest option by far is to pay out a small-ish amount to anyone who's prepared to jump through all the hoops.

It makes Daily Mail columnists furious. Which is one of the few upsides.
  8. That'd be a breach of their human rights, innit mate?
  9. Many condemn the Poles etc coming here and taking jobs. They never took any jobs that were always available to anyone from UK who wanted to work. The trouble is a few ppl I know have been unemployed and on sickness benefit of around £150 p.w Their rent is paid, another £60 - £65 and they get their Council tax paid too. All that for sitting at home watching Sky TV. I work 60 hours a week and sometimes wonder if I am any better off. We have an influx of outsiders here because they want to work. Benefit here is supposedly a hand up not a handout - now many ppl see it as the next step from leaving school. I think if someone is not going into further education or work when they leave school then they should be conscripted into a labour Corps. They could then do non combat role jobs. This may teach them discipline and self respect. Also after being paid a decent wage for a decent days work they will not want to move down the ladder to be on £59 p.w.
  10. Yet why are so many ex servicemen being totally let down by the NHS, when with the right care and treatment, they could be found gainful employment.
    That's right, they don't have any targets for those who have served Queen and Country, as for the so-called priority treatments for those on War Pensions, what a load of SH1TE!
    As many ex servicemen don't cue up every week to see their GP and just get on with their lives in pain, when they do see their GP, they are not taken seriously and treated in a manner that will help them back to work.
    Many ex servicemen have many talents, many which allot of civvi companies would do well with, but are let down when with long term health problems the NHS either see them as low priority, or don't have a damn clue on what would help, both the individual and their family!
  11. Its nice to see that those backwards Romanians are better at addressing the problem of the unemployed than the mighty Brits. I say get the lazy benefit scumbags out collecting and selling recycling - everyone's a winner!

By the way, Gordon, if you or any of your clueless minions are logged on and reading this, its my idea and I want my cut when you put this scheme into action 8)
  12. msr

msr LE

Rather than top it up with drug dealing, you mean?

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Thats daft, one of the best members of staff I ever had came from a training scheme.
  14. No, but at the moment all govt (and hence you) have to find is the £59. Put them into a 'makejob' and you've got to make that £200-ish. Plus the wages for the managers and administrators of whatever agency actually 'handles' the work. You'll get a shoddy job done by people who don't want to be there and will ultimately starve the private sector economy by making it impossible for them to compete.
  15. I'm sure. But I can understand it at the same time.