Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1/72 scale German WW2 railway gun K5(E)

I've been doing a bit more research and discover that if I'd taken a different turn while exploring the locale I'd have found the Battery Todt museum with a damn great K5 sitting out the back. its even called Leopold which is the one that Sprocket is building. Only thing is it isn't the real Leopold as that is located at the Fort Lee in the US and it wasn't one of the original K5 guns based on the French coast. There seems to have been some 20 plus of the things produced with only the two surviving.
That’s the one I posted earlier on in this here thread of Sprockets.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Go large!

Although it's questionable as to whether this is still modelling.
And after all that hard work, the uniforms are all to cock. Wrong Waffenfarbe, everyone's a private soldier....

I've been doing a bit more research and discover that if I'd taken a different turn while exploring the locale I'd have found the Battery Todt museum with a damn great K5 sitting out the back. its even called Leopold which is the one that Sprocket is building. Only thing is it isn't the real Leopold as that is located at the Fort Lee in the US and it wasn't one of the original K5 guns based on the French coast. There seems to have been some 20 plus of the things produced with only the two surviving.
There's a couple of them drowned in the Aegean apparently, saw a great documentary about them.

the gun and the casing assembled and in primer, next the railway line.
gun and frame GV.jpg

Chef

LE
the rails slide neatly into the fittings on the model base. There is no mention of this on the instruction sheet, which is fine, as the rails sliding in is elementary, even for a railway no clue, like me.
close up of fitted rail.jpg

but there is also no mention of what these are for, they are on the same sprue frame tree as the rails, so that's the only hint as to their purpose. There are 12 of them.
unknown parts.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
the rails slide neatly into the fittings on the model base. There is no mention of this on the instruction sheet, which is fine, as the rails sliding in is elementary, even for a railway no clue, like me.
View attachment 541611

but there is also no mention of what these are for, they are on the same sprue frame tree as the rails, so that's the only hint as to their purpose. There are 12 of them.
View attachment 541616
Aren't they the things that join lengths of rail together, fishplates?
1611251499897.jpeg

fishplates, cheers
Now you need one of the old and bold of 507 STRE to tell you how far apart to space them (i.e. Reichsbahn rail length). I don't think the youngsters do Germany these days.

the track joins have the holes for the rivets on the fish plates, narrow fishplate spacer single bolt outer, wider spacer double bolt inner.
rail joint and rivet holes.jpg

with the fishplates assembled to the track, a first coat of dark rust, probably the only use of the salt rust technique on the model.
first coat on track.jpg

Chef

LE
With traffic running over them wouldn't the tops of the rails be shiny steel? Also can I just stick an 'Excellent' every couple of pages please? The quality, speed and quantity of your work is amazing.

Latest Threads