Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1/72 scale German WW2 railway gun K5(E)

brake linkages
brake linkages.jpg

frame instructions.jpg

PFGEN

GCM
I recal reading somewhere that one of them had its own battalion of troops attached.

They were a massive waste of resources when they were sorely needed elsewhere. Their effectiveness was also called into question. When the firing rate is a few shells a day why bother. It also took a few months to set them up.

My Dad was on the receiving end of one of the smaller rail guns at Cap Gris-Nez. After the invasion the Germans would pull it back through the tunnel and turn to vertical fire. Dad and his mates slept under a barn door which they took with them on their truck. Woke up one night with a piece of shrapnel from one of the shells of the gun that had gone through the door. Just stopped short of his noggin. The yanks sent over a raid of Fortresses which buried the Germans and their gun in the tunnel.

Last edited:
They were a massive waste of resources when they were sorely needed elsewhere. Their effectiveness was also called into question. When the firing rate is a few shells a day why bother. It also took a few months to set them up.

My Dad was on the receiving end of one of the smaller rail guns at Cap Gris-Nez. After the invasions the Germans would pull it back through the tunnel and turn to vertical fire. Dad and his mates slept under a barn door which they took with them on their truck. Woke up one night with a piece of shrapnel from one of the shells of the gun that had gone through the door. Just stopped short of his noggin. The yanks sent over a raid of Fortresses which buried the Germans and their gun in the tunnel.
Is it still there?

with the wheels fitted, the truck bed goes on next, bit of a struggle to get it to sit right, so pegs as clamps while it dries overnight, little bit of liquid mr surfacer for the tiny gap all around, but it looks ok this morning.
fitting the bed onto the chassis b.jpg

PFGEN

GCM
Is it still there?

Good question. A few years ago I went walkabout following my Dad's European tour along with his notes. Cap Gris-Nez had clearly taken a pounding from the air with bomb craters all over the place. South of the Cap itself are the main batteries and there are still remains of the Todt batteries along with a couple of others. Again bomb carters everywhere but now a lot of it is farmed so any sign of a hill being blown up is difficult to find. According to my Dad, the raid buried the lot. I went looking for a railhead expecting to use that to trace the possible location but couldn't find any or the remains thereof. Post war a lot of tracks just weren't replaced.

I wish I'd done a bit more study before I'd gone, ie dig out some aerial photos from that time.

the first truck forward details
truck a so far.jpg

there's more to go on there...
more parts for a.jpg

but for now truck a can be placed safely to one side to dry and let those fine attachments harden in place so they aren't easily knocked off.
so far so good truck a.jpg

truck B, I need to go back to the start again and build the same chassis parts again as trucks A and B are identical up to this point.
NEW TOP INSTRUCTIONS.jpg

Truck chassis B assembled, with it's bed laying alongside, let the Axles dry before that goes on.
chassis B and bed B.jpg

next up, the detail parts for truck B instruction diagrams
truck B instructions.jpg

the gun mechansim made up and ready to go in the body.
gun mechanism.jpg

the tabs are inserted into adjacent slot, the slots need opening up to allow the tabs to freely enter.
side plates attach to gun mech.jpg

then the inner side plates and the gun mechanism slot down into the outer frame.
insert slotted into outher shell.jpg

the frame plan view
view from above.jpg

with the masking tape removed, it left me with a nice strong box structure.
Trunnion caps next.
trunnions.jpg

everything went together with a series of clicks to show everything had slotted into position. The mounts need a small amount of mold line scraping, I should have noticed that before I fitted them, but I'm not removing them now they are glued firmly in position.
the Barrel next. The end cap forms the muzzle crown, and some lands and grooves for the rifling can be seen, for about 10mm in.
lands and grooves.jpg

while that sets, I'm sitting down after my 5 mile run to watch the Guns of Navarone. Silly movie, but worth a laugh.
gun barrel fitted.jpg

PFGEN

GCM
Is it still there?

I've been doing a bit more research and discover that if I'd taken a different turn while exploring the locale I'd have found the Battery Todt museum with a damn great K5 sitting out the back. its even called Leopold which is the one that Sprocket is building. Only thing is it isn't the real Leopold as that is located at the Fort Lee in the US and it wasn't one of the original K5 guns based on the French coast. There seems to have been some 20 plus of the things produced with only the two surviving.

Latest Threads