Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1/72 scale German WW2 railway gun K5(E)

Starting my next project, this 1/72 scale 280mm rail gun by Hobby Boss.
box art.jpg

Just as well you went for the 1/72 model and not the likes of Schwerer Gustav in 1/35th. It needs its own shed.
I'd need to Borrow Mrs Si's Grand Piano for the 35th one, the 72nd one looks enough of an undertaking, it's going to look nice in a glass case, if I don't cock it up.

I enjoyed the Hasegawa version in the 1980s, as well as both of their Karl kits (one between twin railway transporters, the other on its tracks - so not actually deployed). Oddly enough, I never completed the Munitionspanzer which came with the deploying version.

Looking forward to this Sprocket 321
cheers Rob, I'll share every step, starting with.... the two cam schemes suggested in the kit, either panzer grey or that rather attractive other scheme. Haven't done my homework yet so unsure if that's an Anzio Annie colour scheme. The grey could be made to look great using the salt technique and various shades of Panzer grey.
cam schemes.jpg

I enjoyed the Hasegawa version in the 1980s, as well as both of their Karl kits (one between twin railway transporters, the other on its tracks - so not actually deployed). Oddly enough, I never completed the Munitionspanzer which came with the deploying version.
typical WW2 Germans, everything had to be massive and complex, wasn't the tracked one called Thor, were they both 1/72 scale. Wonder what they go for now?

typical WW2 Germans, everything had to be massive and complex, wasn't the tracked one called Thor, were they both 1/72 scale. Wonder what they go for now?
There were a small number built, in two distinct versions; tha Hasegawa kit was a hybrid. If I were to build one again, I'd choose the later version by Hobby Boss, who offer both late and early variants. The Munitionspanzer is sold separately.
I've been tempted, but my build queue is too long as is.

I've glanced through several photos of "Leopold', most of which are of models and, with the exception of a 1/16 RC model, all omit an essential feature - a shunting engine - without which the gun couldn't be aimed.

That's a bit like building a Queen Mary trailer without a Bedford Ox.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

jambosun

Old-Salt
Really looking forward to this one. I dont post much, but have to say that the modelling threads are brilliant and I am very envious of the skills on show. I have the manual dexterity of a manatee on a roller coaster so can only watch in awe as the models take shape. Keep them coming please.

The Leopold still exists at Audinghen in northern France.
Just one thing Sprocket, I wouldn’t go overboard on the salt. These things spent a lot of their time, hidden up and were kept pristine.
99B0BD84-2010-471D-B62E-D334716E4F83.jpeg
246BC3A1-3909-4768-81E6-8624754C7951.jpeg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I recal reading somewhere that one of them had its own battalion of troops attached.

Chef

LE
I recal reading somewhere that one of them had its own battalion of troops attached.
By the time you've got local defence, AA, and general support I wouldn't be surprised if it was a couple of battalions.

@SPROCKET321 e-bay has Karl morsers from £35-£144 for the rail transported one.

opening moves. very fine parts, first railway related kit for me, so a steep learning curve.
beginings.jpg

complex part assembly. clothes pags for holding the chassis frames firmly in place while the glue dries.
clamping the chassis rails.jpg

Latest Threads