Builds 1/72 Kriegsmarine WW2 German S Boat with Eduard PE set.

I'll be building this kit with that above after the Italian Campaign GB starting on the 16th. unless...did the Germans use S boats off Anzio?
box artwork.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Indeed they did
photozhinds-gers100-side.jpg

1943 – German Schnellboot S.100. German S-boats of World War II were among the best small combatant vessels ever produced. The armament carried by the S-boats gave them almost the same firepower as that of a destroyer and specially developed paint schemes rendered them almost impossible to see at night. The S-boat had a cruising range of 700-750 miles with speeds from 39-43.5 knots.

S-boats were often used to patrol the Baltic Sea and the English Channel in order to intercept shipping heading for the English ports in the south and east. As such, they were up against Royal Navy and Commonwealth (particularly Royal Canadian Navy contingents leading up to D-Day) Motor Gun Boats (MGBs), Motor Torpedo Boats (MTBs), Motor Launches, frigates and destroyers. They were also transferred in small numbers to the Mediterranean, and the Black Sea by river and land transport. Some small S-boats were built as boats for carrying by auxiliary cruisers.

Indeed they did
photozhinds-gers100-side.jpg

1943 – German Schnellboot S.100. German S-boats of World War II were among the best small combatant vessels ever produced. The armament carried by the S-boats gave them almost the same firepower as that of a destroyer and specially developed paint schemes rendered them almost impossible to see at night. The S-boat had a cruising range of 700-750 miles with speeds from 39-43.5 knots.

S-boats were often used to patrol the Baltic Sea and the English Channel in order to intercept shipping heading for the English ports in the south and east. As such, they were up against Royal Navy and Commonwealth (particularly Royal Canadian Navy contingents leading up to D-Day) Motor Gun Boats (MGBs), Motor Torpedo Boats (MTBs), Motor Launches, frigates and destroyers. They were also transferred in small numbers to the Mediterranean, and the Black Sea by river and land transport. Some small S-boats were built as boats for carrying by auxiliary cruisers.
Tom Wheatcroft is restoring an S-Boot, I read an article about it a while ago and he has a dive team go to somewhere in the Adriatic (off Croatia) and get parts off a number of boats that were scuttled at the end of the War.

One illustration caught my eye. An E Boat with triple barreled flak gun amidships.
Not seen that elsewhere, pity the photo is so poor.

Finished the book. Really good read. Amazing how unreliable the German torpedos were.
Multiple failures being common.
Also of interest was the number of enemy survivors picked out of the water. Seems that went both ways with the British doing their bit as well..
Some boats carried triple MG-151/15 or /20

1641959406157.png

Three gun mount in ground role

1641959469386.png

Last edited:
Tom Wheatcroft is restoring an S-Boot, I read an article about it a while ago and he has a dive team go to somewhere in the Adriatic (off Croatia) and get parts off a number of boats that were scuttled at the end of the War.
Would love to be involved in those dives, they'll have to look hard though, the plywood would have disintegrated leaving just the metal fittings and the torpedo tubes. Mr Titanic found the wreck of PT109, or rather PT109's torpedo tubes. Still, with plenty of plywood you could rebuild it and call it the original craft, they did that with a spitfire when all they had was the original pre war supermarine scrolled pilots foot pedals.

Would love to be involved in those dives, they'll have to look hard though, the plywood would have disintegrated leaving just the metal fittings and the torpedo tubes. Mr Titanic found the wreck of PT109, or rather PT109's torpedo tubes. Still, with plenty of plywood you could rebuild it and call it the original craft, they did that with a spitfire when all they had was the original pre war supermarine scrolled pilots foot pedals.
As your into your wreck diving, don’t know how to do links. But on YouTube look up this video:- German E-Boat near Malta, probably S34.
Couple of pics of Wheatcrofts E-Boot.
FB9F51DF-65B5-445F-8612-40A66E8A3B17.jpeg
005A89D0-0733-4D63-A7D4-72D7BFA6D954.jpeg
F4B650F8-DD3C-41F4-87BB-8F5AB6444437.jpeg

As your into your wreck diving,
I only have objects I raised from the deep that could fit in my goody bag, like this WW1 shell fuse cap, nothing as big as an S Boat. If the one in your picture was raised, then I stand corrected about the wood not surviving.
NOSE CAP.png

I only have objects I raised from the deep that could fit in my goody bag, like this WW1 shell fuse cap, nothing as big as an S Boat. If the one in your picture was raised, then I stand corrected about the wood not surviving.
View attachment 630944
Just done a bit of research, Keel solid oak, aluminium frame ribs with Oregon or Scotch Pine longitudinals. The hull was clad in Cedar and Mahogany.
It’ll be doubtful if that S-Boot would be salvaged as, if it’s that close to Malta, she’ll possibly be a war grave.

I read recently that the Airfix kit is wrong in many places, the S100 is reasonably close, some slight detail quirks, like the front gun tub is too narrow by a MM or two, whoopy do, I'm building this one OOB except for the Eduard Detail set, It's going to be weathered, using the salt technique. so here goes.
I've joined the hull and main deck, and here it is for a size comparison against A Vosper MTB, just to show what the RN lads were up against.
size comparison with Vosper MTB.png

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I read recently that the Airfix kit is wrong in many places, the S100 is reasonably close, some slight detail quirks, like the front gun tub is too narrow by a MM or two, whoopy do, I'm building this one OOB except for the Eduard Detail set, It's going to be weathered, using the salt technique. so here goes.
I've joined the hull and main deck, and here it is for a size comparison against A Vosper MTB, just to show what the RN lads were up against.
View attachment 632654
There's some reading worth doing here but apparently it wasn't just size but also hull form. The S-Boat was rather less prone to pitching than the MBTs.

Think Mercedes, rather than Mini...

a while after that I'd cracked the base colours first time, the Tamiya masking tape is a superb product, no paint creep, a nice clean sharp line.
red hull line.png

the green deck is now showing it's first wet salt, give that time to dry before the next differing tone of green on there.
salt on green deck b.png

the foredeck will have the red and white stripes common on these craft when they had air cover. It's going to look really scale when the salt technique gets to work on that.
red hull salt on foredeck.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
View attachment 632654
I never realised how much bigger they were, hell of a difference.

Latest Threads