Builds 1/72 Kriegsmarine WW2 German S Boat with Eduard PE set.

the aging, but still good, Airfix S boat will be up for a build project soon, Jan 2022.
box art.jpg

aspects of this kit might well, ok, will be showing it's age, so I'll be aftermarketing some of it, the deck guns 20mm C30 and flak42 in particular, maybe the deck vents. I've still to find a single aftermarket item for this. Not my first build of it, made one for Tangmere aviation museum a few years back to go alongside an RAF Rescue Launch, (a craft with a Family connection)

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably the finest high speed fighting boat of WW2.
Looking forward to this as I have one in my unmade kits cupboard.

BTW there is a Revell equivalent.
Amazon product

the aging, but still good, Airfix S boat will be up for a build project soon, Jan 2022.
View attachment 624442
aspects of this kit might well, ok, will be showing it's age, so I'll be aftermarketing some of it, the deck guns 20mm C30 and flak42 in particular, maybe the deck vents. I've still to find a single aftermarket item for this. Not my first build of it, made one for Tangmere aviation museum a few years back to go alongside an RAF Rescue Launch, (a craft with a Family connection)

Make sure you get some crew figures for it. They'll show the size of the boat and bring it to life.

View attachment 624442
Air fix still avoiding representations of the swastika. Look at that ensign on the box lid.

stuskimac

Old-Salt
The classic German "Schnell Boat" (hence S-Boat), beautiful design, purposeful & fast, being triple screw it was! I've loved this boat since as a child, the main reason being that my Dad built a balsa 1/32nd scale model from scratch using marine plans. It used to sit on the upstair landing window sill, I walked past it everytime I went up/down the stairs, my Dad did a top job on it, beautifully detailed & would tell my brother & me all about it, what it was etc. He built it mid 70's & said one day he'd put R/C gear in it & sail it, R/C was very expensive back then & out of reach of my Dads budget in those days.
Sadly during the late 80's they had a fire upstairs & it got badly fire damaged, however he managed to save the hull & kept it. Many years later mid 90's when R/C gear became more accessible & finances improved/disposable income for hobbies, he rebuilt it & added R/C gear. He re-did it as a later 43/44 super structure with the enclosed torpedo tubes, armoured cabin & sailed it & I did too! It was fantastic, sailed really well & fast, the hull design was indeed spot-on ! Ran it regular for about 10 years down the local boat lake, it always made me smile watching it & having a go myself! Then it eventually got retired & replaced by other boats, my Dad built & sailed a lot of R/C boats!
One day I went round to see him & he announced he'd had a clear out of old boats, one of which was the S-Boat, put them in pile in the garden, lighter fuel & a match, up she went viking style!
A piece of me died that day, I chuckled with him at the time when he told me, but secretly I was quite sad about it. I think he knew, because he said it was a fitting end to her, she'd already survived one fire, been sailed many times & was worn out.

Well a few years later I picked up a 1/35th scale GRP hull & plans for one, scratch built a 1939 version, fitted R/C gear, twin screw (like my Dads) & got it all working ship shape & bristol fashion & proudly took it down the boating lake. Put it in the water & .........................nothing! dead in the water! lifted it out & put in on the table everything worked, props spun, rudders etc, put it back the water, f@ck all happening! Something was wrong, props stalling, wrong motor size? no idea, never did sus it.
Life stuff got in the way & R/C model boats got shelved & I've not sailed any for a long, long time. My S-boat is still sat in the shed gathering dust, hasn't seen the light of day since atleast 2006. One day, maybe i'll dig it out & have another go, maybe.

EU regulations I think you will find, not Airfix.
Highly likely - discussed recently where kits sold in EU had the decal sheet designed to be 'clipped' and swastikas removed!
Thanks to @Daz
bfc014_2_z2-jpg.616979

Also, see here:
decals have a ritter kreuz (?) in the centre, not the swastika.
Maybe the OP can check his decals, and let us know... he says it is an old kit, so may have been made pre PC!

Last edited:

Daz

LE
Highly likely - discussed recently where kits sold in EU had the decal sheet designed to be 'clipped' and swastikas removed!
Thanks to @Daz
bfc014_2_z2-jpg.616979

Also, see here:
Maybe the OP can check his decals, and let us know... he says it is an old kit, so may have been made pre PC!
It would need to be the 75 or possibly the 77 issues to have the swastika, come the re-release in 81, the box art had been changed to show the Ritterkreuz

Daz

LE
Next (no wah!) question - would a set of 45 year old decals actually work?
Chances are.......no, they tend to yellow and disintegrate with age, but, its always worth a punt just in case

Thanks to @Daz

Ritterkreuz (Knight’s Cross) was a degree of the Eisenkreuz medal. It took the familiar form of a Croix Patée, which had been a Prussian symbol since the days of the mediaeval Teutonic Knights. The shape is called Tatzenkreuz in German.
The straight sided cross adopted for use on German military aircraft and vehicles in 1918 through to 1945 was a Greek cross, called in German a Balkenkreuz.
The swastika is called, in German, hakenkreuz which translates as “hooked cross.”
The legal prohibition in Germany on displays of the swastika goes back way beyond the formation of the EU or it’s antecedents.
Omitting a swastika from model aircraft decal sheets is one thing, but replacing the swastika with a balkenkreuz as the central motif of the Nazi-era military ensign is a new one on me. It looks odd.

Probably the finest high speed fighting boat of WW2.
Looking forward to this as I have one in my unmade kits cupboard.

BTW there is a Revell equivalent.
Amazon product

may do a tandem build, show them side by side, not sure what of the two craft is the older type, probably the airfix one with exposed tubes, the Airtfix kit I have has no swasticas, and the flag has the Balken cross. (spelling) so I may as well search for decals as well as crew and better deck details.
s-l1600.jpg

Spent a couple of hours last night, trying to find a British Motor Gun Boat.
Managed to find a 1/32 scale Fairmile Dog Boat but at around 500 quid well out of the pay scale.
So if anyone knows of a 72 scale Vosper or British Power Boats gun boat, don’t want a MTB. Please let me know. Ta!

Spent a couple of hours last night, trying to find a British Motor Gun Boat.
Managed to find a 1/32 scale Fairmile Dog Boat but at around 500 quid well out of the pay scale.
So if anyone knows of a 72 scale Vosper or British Power Boats gun boat, don’t want a MTB. Please let me know. Ta!
Any good ?

Any good ?

Thanks for looking, I did see that. But I’d have to do a lot of work converting it.
Lowestoft had quite a few MTBs and MGBs based here during WW2, quite often mixing it with the Germans in their E Boats and armed trawlers.

Thanks for looking, I did see that. But I’d have to do a lot of work converting it.
Lowestoft had quite a few MTBs and MGBs based here during WW2, quite often mixing it with the Germans in their E Boats and armed trawlers.
I vaguely, vaguely remember Revell, or maybe another American manufacturer, doing a Patrol Torpedo Boat with decals to finish it as PT-109, skippered by a Lieutenant John F Kennedy, and sunk under him.
The kit must have come out about the time of JFK’s presidency, but before his assassination, so ‘61 to ‘63. I considered myself to have grown out of model making by then, so I never bought it, but that didn’t stop me taking a look at new releases.

With little in the way of a personal naval connection I have always been fascinated by the story of the MTB's as my book shelves bear witness.

For modellers can I suggest Allied Coastal Forces of World War II
Vol 1 Fairmile and US Submarine Chasers
Vol 2 Vosper MTB's and US ELCO's
Lambert (died 2016) and Ross

Loads of photos and detailed drawings in each book (700 drawings!!!), a modellers dream.

I think the series was intended to cover other boats but sadly it never happened.

Notice they have just been reprinted, £27 at Amazon, reduced from £40. worth every penny.

Last edited:

Reminds me of a story, purporting to be true. I think I got it from the “Humour in Uniform” feature which was a regular in Readers’ Digest.

In the last few weeks of WW2 a mixed RN force was venturing out from Lowestoft in the direction of the Friesland Isles. The leading vessel was a submarine, and there was a mish mash of other small vessels.

The sub captain flicked out an Aldis lamp message, “ If we make contact with enemy vessels, I intend to remain on the surface.”

Quick as a flash came a reply from an MTB skipper, “So do I !”

Reminds me of a story, purporting to be true. I think I got it from the “Humour in Uniform” feature which was a regular in Readers’ Digest.

In the last few weeks of WW2 a mixed RN force was venturing out from Lowestoft in the direction of the Friesland Isles. The leading vessel was a submarine, and there was a mish mash of other small vessels.

The sub captain flicked out an Aldis lamp message, “ If we make contact with enemy vessels, I intend to remain on the surface.”

Quick as a flash came a reply from an MTB skipper, “So do I !”
Monsarrat saw a flotilla of MTBS leaving harbour, and signaled
Corvette to passing MTB: "Good luck".
Reply: "Thanks. Actually we rely on skill".

edited for accuracy

Last edited:

Latest Threads