Builds 1:72 Focke-Wulf Fw190A-8

Trick_Boom

Old-Salt
Thanks for the advice guys, here it goes.
(Newbie basic build)

This is a starter kit, includes basic paints, glue and brush.
20211026_180815.jpg

Step 1 and 2: Cockpit
There was a small glass part that should fix to the dash, I cut it out and 'Ping' off it went into oblivion. Oh well, first casualty.
Painted cockpit and pilot, not so clear in pic but managed to get the decals onto the instrument panel.
20211026_231454.jpg

This small bit has literally taken me the entire evening

RaiderBoat

War Hero
I’ve had that SNAP! PING! more than a few times… I just mark it down to the part being unavailable and fly anyway.

Looks like a good start.

5645andym

Old-Salt
If I am cutting a small part off the sprue I try to keep my finger over it and use light pressure to keep it clamped to the cutting mat to avoid the 'ping' of doom.

Must learn how avoid cutting in to my finger wuith the knife next . . .

sarnian

War Hero
If I am cutting a small part off the sprue I try to keep my finger over it and use light pressure to keep it clamped to the cutting mat to avoid the 'ping' of doom.

Must learn how avoid cutting in to my finger wuith the knife next . . .

You might try using (very carefully) positioned nail clippers on the join between part and sprue, held inside an A4 envelope?

Roll a wee bit of Plasticine into a little "worm" and stick it onto the sprue and component.
It won't go far and it just peels off.
Old trick my Papa taught me when he was a carpenter down the docks on the Queens with "upside down" screws..but it was linseed window putty back then.

Trick_Boom

Old-Salt
Step 3 - 5: Fuselage
20211027_201901.jpg

So all the painting of the pilot and cockpit with dashboard decals has now become obsolete. But I guess although it will never be seen, I know it's in there.

Step 6 - 8: Tail, wings and armament.

20211027_223723.jpg

After attaching these together, the question is "Wheels up" or "Wheels down"?

Last edited:

Trick_Boom

Old-Salt
Step 9: We have a problem here
20211027_232737.jpg

Left the cockpit to cement inside the Fuselage overnight, it seems to have rolled over and moved. How did the cockpit do that? Like it has its own gyroscope...
Had to carve off the bottom of it so the wings could attach.

Step 10 - 11: Wheels

Probably the hardest bit of the build.
20211029_002144.jpg

Going on advice from @ches I trimmed the landing gear by 1mm for accuracy :D

*Interesting thing I learned building this, I always thought the rear tail wheel was static like a stabilizer on these aircraft. But they actually retracted into the tail (Halfway) after takeoff.

Last edited:

Trick_Boom

Old-Salt
Nearly done
20211030_025258.jpg

And paint. I tried to make the engine exaust look a bit charred (My air/fuel ratio might be a bit rich)

20211107_011201.jpg

Small edit: Just above the tail number is 5 white stripes. The Luftwaffe painted kills on their tails.

Last edited:
When the 190 was being designed, they experimented with total retraction of the tailwheel but found in wind tunnel tests that a half retracted wheel saved having to fit doors and a door closing mechanism, thereby saving weight and parts and that the half wheel offered little or no drag. The tailwheel was retracted by a cable linked to one of the main landing gear legs, so that bringing the mains up also brought the tail wheel up.

Latest Threads