1.5mile run

luckymarine said:
Ha Ha, I hope so! does anyone know for definate about keeping a green lid in the OTC? any ex Bootnecks about? I know i would be entitled to keep my dagger on my arm but there seems to be a bit of a debate on the lid front.
Think you only wear thelid if your serving with commando brigade, so its the detol badge only for you mate. Ask the head shed at your unit to be sure, to be sure!

The_Duke said:
PandaLOVE said:
msr said:
PandaLOVE said:
The_Duke said:
Start fast, keep going fast, try to get faster at the end. Pacing yourself for the first half mile is for poofs and pie eaters.

Flat out from the start, tasting blood by the halfway point and vomiting by the end should do you just fine.
Possible the stupidest thing I've read on the subject so far. Someone without a suitable endurance base cannot start fast and get faster. Flat out, taste blood, vomit etc.? If a little run makes you bleed and vomit I suggect you visit yout MO but advise it to others.
I suggest the 4 PARA is not for you then ;)

mstr
Funny you should say that msr. A few years ago a young Para medic guy swore he and his Para mates would run their BFT in 6.30 as a squad.... in step! I had two choices. Bang my head against a wall explaining it was not possible or just leaving the bloke to dream up more BS in his own little world. I wonder if Duke is a medic? :roll:
No medic. I am however someone who understands the meaning of "individual best effort". It is only 1.5 miles, and you should be running it as fast as possible.

Anyone who has ever really pushed themself will understand what I mean by tasting blood and vomiting.

Of course, if you just amble round being careful not to spill any crumbs, then the above will not apply.
A little sidebar. A gentleman of my aquiantence, of the RLI , was completely and utterly baffled by the whole run till you puke mentality, regarding it as complete stupidty to run a given distance in 6 minutes 30 seconds if you were given 10 minutes 30 seconds to run that distance. Mind you, from chatting to him his viewpoint was formed from 3 Firedrops in one day...............

[Ha Ha, I hope so! does anyone know for definate about keeping a green lid in the OTC? any ex Bootnecks about? I know i would be entitled to keep my dagger on my arm but there seems to be a bit of a debate on the lid front.quote]

Being a former 'Royal', and probably on the right side of 30 something I would have thought sub 9 mins for your best effort! Dagger Yes, Green lid No. The things Bootnecks will do for a s?%g!!. UOTC, you'll end up in the poo. All the best anyway mate, I would have made the effort to join the RMR, but you would undoubtadly end up on ops sooner.

OnTheBus said:
Which Brigade was that?!
42 North West, LCV (now 4 LANCS) - Unfortunately because I was a crap I later failed miserably at CIC *embarrassed cough*.

I've just came back from my selection weekend at Strensall, which I passed.

I did the 1.5 mile run in 11 minutes and 13 seconds, which for the 15 minutes needed for signals is alright I guess.

I have started going to the gym in the past month and a half or so, and so I hope to improve on that time come the next 1.5 mile run.

Yea looked into RMR nearest is Newcastle, an unfortunatly i need to be in the country as im at Uni at the moment, just need to keep my hand in really as the culture shock has been epic! 18 and 19 year old students that have never done anything else but go to school/college and think the world owes them something!
i'll stop now before i get carried away!

luckymarine said:
Yea looked into RMR nearest is Newcastle, an unfortunatly i need to be in the country as im at Uni at the moment, just need to keep my hand in really as the culture shock has been epic! 18 and 19 year old students that have never done anything else but go to school/college and think the world owes them something!
i'll stop now before i get carried away!
I'm a student as well, and the way some of those participating in the student lifestyle go on irritates the hell out of me. When I first came to Uni, it made me angry, but you soon get used to it.

shavies said:

I did the 1.5 mile run in 11 minutes and 13 seconds, which for the 15 minutes needed for signals is alright I guess.
15 minutes?!?!?! for infantry its 10:30 or out!!!

6riflesrfn said:
shavies said:

That's because we're Infantry and expected to be fit to function In our role.
, just as other roles In the Army require you to have a degree of technical know how and ours does not (In most cases).

6riflesrfn said:
shavies said:

It is still 10:30 for signals I have no idea where they get 15 mins your allowed 11mins if you are over 35 or 12 mins over 40. I did my PFT along with the TM, Adj, QM, and the CO and we all came in under 10:30 and I can tell you anyone who came in at 15mins we would beast the crap out of them. and just in case your wondering yes I am a TA Signals

grumpybear said:
6riflesrfn said:
shavies said:

It is still 10:30 for signals I have no idea where they get 15 mins your allowed 11mins if you are over 35 or 12 mins over 40. I did my PFT along with the TM, Adj, QM, and the CO and we all came in under 10:30 and I can tell you anyone who came in at 15mins we would beast the crap out of them. and just in case your wondering yes I am a TA Signals
I'd love to know which Reg. your in!!!!!

bibo_boy said:
grumpybear said:
6riflesrfn said:
shavies said:

I'd love to know which Reg. your in!!!!!
So would I cos he's got his times wrong

Press-ups
(b)
Sit-ups
(c)
2.4km Run
(d)
Level

29 and under Male Less than 10mins 30secs Level 10.2
Female Less than 13mins Level 8.1
30 - 40 Male Less than 11mins Level 9.8
Female Less than 13mins 30secs Level 7.7
35 - 39 Male Less than 11mins 30secs Level 9.4
Female Less than 14mins Level 7.3
40 - 44 Male Less than 12mins Level 8.10
Female Less than 14mins 30secs Level 6.9
45 - 49 Male Less than 12mins 30secs Level 8.5
Female Less than 15mins Level 6.5
50 - 54 Male Less than 13mins 30secs Level 7.7
Female 11 Less than 16mins Level 5.6

Try and get off to a good start and maintain a fast pace for the first half a mile. You will probably start to feel it after this so slow up a little for the next half a mile then build up again towards the end. By the time you get to the last 100 meters you should be going flat out.

Anyone with a half-decent level of fitness should do it in under 10:30.

The fastest person on my two week CMSR was a 48 yr old who was rejoining. Did it in just over 8 mins and no-one got near him!

A lot of it depends on where you are doing it and what the weather is like on the day. Hills and strong wind can add substantially to your time!