1.5mile run

msr said:
interestednovice said:
So now the TA are tested on all the same exercises as the regulars, does that mean that they have to meet the same run times and number of reps on different exercises for a given trade?
Yes, That'll be the one army concept.

interestednovice said:
Bit of a fat bloke with big shoulders and triceps basically, but I'm sure I can meet the standards for regular infantry selection given consistent running and weight loss in a few more months.
Keep at it. Although you have to run 14 mins for the Risk Reduction Run (RRR) at selection, you will need to be hitting 10.30 for the mile and half (assuming you are under 30) to qualify for your bounty.

msr
I'm 33 but I have no injuries or medical problems that would prevent me from reaching the same 'pass' times as somebody in their late 20s on a distance run given consistent effort and the right diet. As I understand it, distance stamina and raw strength persist the longest of all atheletic attributes. There are people doing these types of events at the Olympic level well into their 30s. I'm 2 years younger than Paula Radcliffe and nothing I'm conceivably young enough to join asks for performance even close to that level.

It's mostly gymnastic agility and raw sprinting speed that start to go in the 20s. As I understand it everything else is a matter of effort and can stay so well into your 40s barring medical problems.

Hmm.. enough rambling. I need to go for a jog!

interestednovice said:
I haven't done selection yet, but what OnTheBus posted looks like the selection stuff for the regulars, whereas the run, pressups and situps test is what I read that the TA have to do.
I can happily confirm that OnTheBus is on the money, no pressups or situps for the actual test - pressups here and there for being shabby or losing competitions, but thats about it.

give it heaps lads - its a f'ing top weekend.

interestednovice said:
I'm 33 but I have no injuries or medical problems that would prevent me from reaching the same 'pass' times as somebody in their late 20s on a distance run given consistent effort and the right diet.
I am 35 and still get under 10.30.

Jog on.

msr

msr said:
interestednovice said:
So now the TA are tested on all the same exercises as the regulars, does that mean that they have to meet the same run times and number of reps on different exercises for a given trade?

interestednovice said:
Bit of a fat bloke with big shoulders and triceps basically, but I'm sure I can meet the standards for regular infantry selection given consistent running and weight loss in a few more months.
Keep at it. Although you have to run 14 mins for the Risk Reduction Run (RRR) at selection, you will need to be hitting 10.30 for the mile and half (assuming you are under 30) to qualify for your bounty.

msr
If you are joining the Infantry, then by the end of PHase 1B, you need to do the Risk Reduction Run in 13 mins or under. If you are 'Other Arms' you have 14 mins (this, I believe is where Regular and TA differ). You will do a number of RRR's during 1B to get this right!
When you come to do a PFT, due to your age, you have 11 mins to complete the 1.5 mile run part of the Test.

OnTheBus said:
msr said:
interestednovice said:

interestednovice said:

msr
If you are joining the Infantry, then by the end of PHase 1B, you need to do the Risk Reduction Run in 13 mins or under. If you are 'Other Arms' you have 14 mins (this, I believe is where Regular and TA differ). You will do a number of RRR's during 1B to get this right!
When you come to do a PFT, due to your age, you have 11 mins to complete the 1.5 mile run part of the Test.
I'm confused now. I thought the exercises and the allowed times were the same between regular and TA? looking at the times for regulars in other threads I'd have to get 12:45 or under to pass selection and get into basic to join non-para infantry?

Anyhoo, if I want to do the same job as a 25 year old, My way of motivating myself is to say I need to be able to pass the same tests as a 25 year old, which at these levels should be possible. It's a good, achievable goal anyway, and should ensure a good margin for 'bad luck' etc.. on the day.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
interestednovice,

Let me try to clear up a few things for you. The selection tests and format are the same for Regs and TA. The bench mark for pass results still varies however as for the TA at the moment as long as you're fit to start all arms training (i.e. run 1.5 miles in under 14 mins) you will pass selection for any branch of the service (Parachute Regt notwithstanding).

The Regs have different pass marks for different branches (see my previous post on this thread) and also use your scores in the other physical tests to determine your suitability for the branch you want to join. This hasn't happened for the TA yet as we've only just started this process and they are still 'capturing data' to feed into the number crunching machine to determine what level of fitness is needed for an average TA recruit at the start to reach the required level at the end.

In summary then; relax! You are well on course to doing fine on selection and if you continue hitting the pavement with your running shoes, by the time you start recruit training you'll be approaching a good level of fitness to begin.

My one tip about selection is to throw yourself into the spirit of it. Play the game and be enthusiastic. It will be noted and you will enjoy yourself a lot more.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
interestednovice said:
RP578 said:
interestednovice said:
I haven't done selection yet, but what OnTheBus posted looks like the selection stuff for the regulars, whereas the run, pressups and situps test is what I read that the TA have to do.
The selection is the same for TA and Regulars and has been since the beginning of this year. The "run, pressups and situps test" is called a Personal Fitness Test (PFT) and is one of the mandatory tests that a soldier has to perform each year. Where exactly did you read otherwise?
From this site, here http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Fitness
That only mentions initial training and not Selection, along with someone's recommendations about your level of fitness by the time you first turn up at a TA centre.

RP578 said:
interestednovice,

Let me try to clear up a few things for you. The selection tests and format are the same for Regs and TA. The bench mark for pass results still varies however as for the TA at the moment as long as you're fit to start all arms training (i.e. run 1.5 miles in under 14 mins) you will pass selection for any branch of the service (Parachute Regt notwithstanding).

The Regs have different pass marks for different branches (see my previous post on this thread) and also use your scores in the other physical tests to determine your suitability for the branch you want to join. This hasn't happened for the TA yet as we've only just started this process and they are still 'capturing data' to feed into the number crunching machine to determine what level of fitness is needed for an average TA recruit at the start to reach the required level at the end.

In summary then; relax! You are well on course to doing fine on selection and if you continue hitting the pavement with your running shoes, by the time you start recruit training you'll be approaching a good level of fitness to begin.

My one tip about selection is to throw yourself into the spirit of it. Play the game and be enthusiastic. It will be noted and you will enjoy yourself a lot more.
Thank you, and fair point about relaxing.

Practice the 1.5m in your spare time. 4 mile runs are all well and good but you need to monitor how your perfmormance is coming along for the 1.5m.

Personally, I start the run at a pace that I intend to keep for the duration - that's not to say that it is a slower pace than it could otherwise be, I still try and make it an ambitious pace.

As an aside, if you have a British Military Fitness class in your area sign up (you get a Forces' discount) - the benefits for someone in the TA (recruit or trained) cannot be overstated, esp when you consider how little time there is for fitness in the TA.

anyone here going to Pirbright for the selection this Friday 7/11?

I did a 1.5 in 12 mins last night. Not fantastic I know, but considering Ive done next to no prep, I smoke and Im 37 I didnt think it was too bad.
Hopefully I can get a better time tomorrow.

Got back from selection at ADSC Pirbright yesterday afternoon.
There were 29 of us, the oldest a 44 year old (I was second oldest at 37)
According to the OC their was a 60 percent pass rate, but we were told results would be forwarded to our respective units and we would find out on Tuesday if we were succesful or not.
I managed 11:30 on the run and didnt make a t.wat of myself so Im hopeful Ill have passed.

You should treat it as a personal test, forget regulations etc etc, anyone can amble over the line with 10 seconds to spare without sweating but whats the point in that? what have you proved? the last BFT of my Marine life was 9 mins dead in boots, i never went to the gym never really did phis thought my heart was going to pop towards the end but thats the fun of it all! plus i had to beat my REME OC!
Im now at uni and looking to do UOTC to keep my options open, if anyone has any info on the Lancaster unit i would be gratefull.

luckymarine said:
You should treat it as a personal test, forget regulations etc etc, anyone can amble over the line with 10 seconds to spare without sweating but whats the point in that? what have you proved? the last BFT of my Marine life was 9 mins dead in boots, i never went to the gym never really did phis thought my heart was going to pop towards the end but thats the fun of it all! plus i had to beat my REME OC!
Im now at uni and looking to do UOTC to keep my options open, if anyone has any info on the Lancaster unit i would be gratefull.
Ex Marine? Don't join the OTC!

Why not pop down to your nearest TA unit or even look If theres an RMR unit nearby?

Im at Uni of Cumbria, nearest RMR is Newcastle an the TA unit up here is Lancs Reg, im a Yorkshire lad and wearing a red rose is out of the question! it may seem trivial to most but anyone from Yorkshire or Lancashire will know exactly what im on about!
Am looking into UKSF(R) Sabre as i was close to joining SRR just before getting out but involves a lot of weekends, not that im not commited but im doing quite an intense academical Degree and will need a few weekends here and there to myself for assignments!
It looks like the UOTC gives me the opportunity to keep my hand in whilst training myself to a higher rank, which is what i need really. Anyone with anymore info or anyone who is in already and can tell me a bit more i would be gratefull.

luckymarine said:
Im at Uni of Cumbria, nearest RMR is Newcastle an the TA unit up here is Lancs Reg, im a Yorkshire lad and wearing a red rose is out of the question! it may seem trivial to most but anyone from Yorkshire or Lancashire will know exactly what im on about!
Am looking into UKSF(R) Sabre as i was close to joining SRR just before getting out but involves a lot of weekends, not that im not commited but im doing quite an intense academical Degree and will need a few weekends here and there to myself for assignments!
It looks like the UOTC gives me the opportunity to keep my hand in whilst training myself to a higher rank, which is what i need really. Anyone with anymore info or anyone who is in already and can tell me a bit more i would be gratefull.
Fair one, no need to say anymore on the Lancashire front! Being from Yorkshire I understand.

Best of luck whatever you decide! I imagine alot of the OTC totty will be falling over themselves when they see the Green lid!

Ha Ha, I hope so! does anyone know for definate about keeping a green lid in the OTC? any ex Bootnecks about? I know i would be entitled to keep my dagger on my arm but there seems to be a bit of a debate on the lid front.

luckymarine said:
Ha Ha, I hope so! does anyone know for definate about keeping a green lid in the OTC? any ex Bootnecks about? I know i would be entitled to keep my dagger on my arm but there seems to be a bit of a debate on the lid front.
Dagger will be certain, lid I'm not too sure about. I imagine there isn't many ex RM In the OTC so I doubt you'll get the gen here.

I know In the Infantry you'd wear whatever the regiments headdress Is and then your dagger.

I would think It wouldn't be a drama In the OTC to be honest, probably good PR for them.

heh, at my TA INF selecton w/e the Trg WO2 said if any one took longer than 10:30 they were "not suitable" and binned. I remember fecking pegging around with another lad, made some sort of nav fcuk up (we were the first two out and had beaten the marshals to their positions) and after running the longest 1.5 mile of my life found out we had just cained it for nearly 3 miles, I thought I was going to die but we got a helluva of a time for the distance.

RustyBayonet said:
heh, at my TA INF selecton w/e the Trg WO2 said if any one took longer than 10:30 they were "not suitable" and binned. I remember fecking pegging around with another lad, made some sort of nav fcuk up (we were the first two out and had beaten the marshals to their positions) and after running the longest 1.5 mile of my life found out we had just cained it for nearly 3 miles, I thought I was going to die but we got a helluva of a time for the distance.
Which Brigade was that?!