1.5mile run

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by yorkie79, Oct 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i know this has been thrashed around here probably loads of times, however ive been down to my local ta unit this past couple of weeks.
    done a medical and all that good stuff, they are doing a 1.5 mile run next week and have asked if i want to do it, of course i said yes.
    now im no racing snake but do get out and pound the streets 3-4 times a week for about 4mile each time.
    its been a while since ive done a 1.5 mile run, what time should i aim for? i know your going to say as fast as poss, which i will do but what time will they be looking for?
    thanks in advance
  2. Aim for less than 13mins and your sorted
  3. The 13 minute thing is fine but if you are unsure of your fitness level and what time you can achieve then how do you know what pace to set? With all the fitter lads, as usual, bad idea.

I suggest start at a tempo that is comfy for half a mile and increase the pace if you feel up to it. The third half mile should be very tiring but aim to keep the tempo the same and not slow up regardless of how fcuked you feel and accept the time at the end. Run the first half mile too quickly then you'll dawdle with heavy legs at the end and achieve a much slower time.
  4. If your running regularly.... don't stress.... you be fine.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Start fast, keep going fast, try to get faster at the end. Pacing yourself for the first half mile is for poofs and pie eaters.

Flat out from the start, tasting blood by the halfway point and vomiting by the end should do you just fine.
  6. I'm with the Duke on this, go for it from the start. Any time at a "comfortable pace" is completely wasted.

If you're running 3-4 times a week for 4 miles you should be easily capable of beating the 13 minutes. I train about the same and do 10 1/2 minutes.

You should also be able to work out what your training pace is. If you're doing 9 minute miles in training you should easily be able to do 8 minute miles on the test (12 minutes) etc.
  7. As The Duke says. The 1.5 run should be your personal best run, dont listen to the wasters who say ' I've got 13 mins and I'm taking it'. If you need to throw up, learn how to puke over your right/left shoulder whilst running, just keep going, your efforts will not be wasted
  8. What the Duke said it correct....

All I'm saying is that if you do 12 mins and it's your best....

Don't panic!!! If you keep training specifically for the distance, over time you will improve dramatically.

I went from plus 12 mins to around 8.30 in approx. 2 months.
  9. 1.5 miles in 13 minutes equates to 8 mins 40 secs to the mile. This is the equivalent of running a 3 hour 45 minute marathon or 7 miles in the hour. Average walking pace is 3 miles in the hour so you only have to run slightly faster than twice the average walking pace.

I am a great believer in the tale of the hare and the tortiose. Better to arrive capable of actually doing something than completely knackered trying to prove that you're a 'man'. It's the old bull and the young bull story.

So, trot along, amble over the finish line in 12.5 minutes and chat with the PTI as breathless heaps of sweat and vomit lie heaving on the grass beside you. You'd get the girl.
  10. msr

msr LE

Assuming she overlooks your medicine ball sized beer belly :)

11. Because bimbling across the line in 12.30, when you're capable of a much better time really looks like you're the kind of bod who gives his best effort all of the time. Useless fcuk.
  12. ive found that by beasting my self from the off and just going as hard as i can all the round im a min faster than if i pace myself!!
  13. msr

msr LE

Or the kind of clever person who realises that you have been given 12.30 to complete a task and utilises the time available.

14. The most efficient and therefore fastest way of running any distance longer than c.100 metres has to involve pacing in order to remain in an aerobic condition (ie below anaerobic threshold). Any time spent anaerobic during the run has to lead to slowing to recover. The cost of any recovery taken during the run will always exceed any benefit gained from going too fast at any stage less the final 100 metres or so. Tactics can also play a significant part, especially if the course is hilly or it is windy and a runner can adjust his effort to allow for this.
    Remember that although in British Army culture 'individual best effort' implies that you should rag yourself to death within the first 1/2 mile and then hang on for your life, what it actually/technically means is that it is not a bunch start race; it is in fact an individual time trial (you are racing the clock and therefore yourself).
  15. Possible the stupidest thing I've read on the subject so far. Someone without a suitable endurance base cannot start fast and get faster. Flat out, taste blood, vomit etc.? If a little run makes you bleed and vomit I suggect you visit yout MO but advise it to others.