1.5 Run time tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in about 1.5 to 2 months i will be going to the assessment centre. I am applying for the role of Infantry so need to be able to run a mile 1/2 in under 12:45 but as of today, can only run it in about 13 1/2 minutes. Is 1 to 2 months enough time to shed that extra time and what tips can people give. I have been running outside on a relatively flat road near my house with only some minor inclines and slopes. I have only been running for a couple weeks now but am unsure if its realistic to think i can get my run to under 12 minutes in 1 to 2 months. Any and all advice is welcome, thanks.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So in about 1.5 to 2 months i will be going to the assessment centre. I am applying for the role of Infantry so need to be able to run a mile 1/2 in under 12:45 but as of today, can only run it in about 13 1/2 minutes. Is 1 to 2 months enough time to shed that extra time and what tips can people give. I have been running outside on a relatively flat road near my house with only some minor inclines and slopes. I have only been running for a couple weeks now but am unsure if its realistic to think i can get my run to under 12 minutes in 1 to 2 months. Any and all advice is welcome, thanks.
Q. Is 2 months time enough time to knock a minute off your run time
A. Yes

How?

Run.

No tips, no tricks. Just keep running the same circuit and push yourself harder and faster each and every time. Aim to knock seconds off each run, and the seconds soon become minutes.

That's how I did it. A loop outside the house that had an uphill and downhill and I had to run four and a half laps to get a mile and a half. Every night I'd go out and run it and time myself and a bit faster every time.

There's no magic trick, no training technique other than just run in my opinion.

Besides, on the day, you'll be so hyped with Adrenalin that'll you be running with mong strength and you'll go faster. I can guarantee you're not running as fast as you possibly could right now.

Cover yourself in marmite and bacon. Get a friend to release the hounds. 1.5 miles in 7 mins. Sorted.

DO BETTER

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Move your legs faster.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Don’t start sentences with ‘so’ and you’ve saved time already Forrest.

Serious answer, find a hill, and start running up and down it. Learn fartleks, and do them. Get used to the idea you're going to sweat. A lot. Then you'll sweat some more.

Serious answer, find a hill, and start running up and down it. Learn fartleks, and do them. Get used to the idea you're going to sweat. A lot. Then you'll sweat some more.
This, particularly the hill running bit, is what I'd recommend. When you get to the point that you're running up hills faster than most folks can run down them is when you know you're pretty fit. That may be a bit long term, but in the short or medium term, the extra effort you need to belt out to run up a hill will improve your fitness rather quickly.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Eat less, move more.

The answer to every fitness question in the world.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Try to run more than a mile and a half. Just to give yourself a bit of stamina.

So in about 1.5 to 2 months i will be going to the assessment centre. I am applying for the role of Infantry so need to be able to run a mile 1/2 in under 12:45 but as of today, can only run it in about 13 1/2 minutes.
Try and postpone your visit to the assessment centre for at least a year. Unless you are in your 40 / 50's, 13 1/2 minutes is abysmal.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
The main tip and one you really need to grasp is ‘stop posting your shite and repetitive threads in Current Affairs’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads