1.5 Mile Run

There are a number of threads on the forum regarding this, however, it appears that each one of these threads differs.

Some people have attended selection and completed the 1.5 mile run in 12 or 13 minutes and passed whilst others have attended and failed with the same times. Therefore, is it the overall performance through every task which is taken into account before deciding whether or not potential recruits are accepted or not?

Im currently running the 1.5 miles in about 12.5 minutes which i know is very slow but ive got another month or so before selection so there is plenty of time to improve on this.

I finished in 10min 15 secs....I'd been getting under 10 mins in practice but when we did the real thing it was through a park, over grass, uneven terrain, etc,...so it really did take its toll on me as Id been used to running on roads. Plus he made us do half the course as warm up before we did the real thing, so in effect we did 2.25 miles ! We were told then that an Infantry soldier was expected to do it in a maximum of 10mins 30 secs....
Even though a few of us had beat that time we were then given a grilling because none of us were throwing up which the PT instructor said we would have been if we'd given 100% all the way, haha....
It seems to be down to the individual careers office, as I did mine with a friend but he failed his cos he took over 15 mins !!! Ha, how I laughed....even all the chicks finished before him, but he didnt really prepare for it like I did.
Anyway.......the PT instructor who normally did the 1.5 mile runs in my area was due to leave the Army so for a while there was no runs being done. My mate got a letter from the Army which basically said that he didnt have to do the run again and if he felt he was at the required level then he could continue with the rest of his application....so they basically left it up to him !

Ive been back to the same park a few times since and can now do it in about 8-9 mins.....it may be worth finding out where it is and running the course yourself first if you're unsure about how you'll do.

BurnCK said:
I'd been getting under 10 mins in practice but when we did the real thing it was through a park, over grass, uneven terrain, etc,...Sounds real tough,espeacialy the bit about the grass !

It wasnt tough....I passed didnt I ? Maybe it was just me then, but the running surface wasnt what I was used to....especially cos it has been raining.

What time you need to achieve will depend on your job choices. I know there was a list of different trades and times on the www.army.mod.uk site, but once it got updated I think that part was removed. When your recruiter filled in your job choices he would have had access to information regarding that choice, such as; the next avaliable basic intake and 1.5 mile pass times.

The absolute final cut off point is 14 minutes (unless you're going for junior entry, in which case it's 14.30). So if your job choice allows it, you could get in with a 13 minute pass time. However if you're going for infantry that would not be a pass.

Ask your recruiter what time you need to acheive.

Some people have attended selection and completed the 1.5 mile run in 12 or 13 minutes and passed ! They have passed because it's a number's game,and that's how sac's of sh*t slip through the net and end up serving with good blokes who have to carry them in the field when the going get's tough for them,i.e. when it start's to rain... :D

Just so you know BurnCK when it start's to Rain just before you go out into the field on Ex,and believe Me 9 time's out of 10 it will,the blokes don't get told it's been binned and to go back in the block and play board games !

Found the correct page:

Here

That should give you the criteria that you will need for your job choice.

The Parachute Regiment must complete the run in 9:18.
The Infantry and Pioneers must complete the run in 12:45.
Well gag me with a spoon, I would've thought that would be much lower.

The Parachute Regiment must complete the run in 9:18.
The Infantry and Pioneers must complete the run in 12:45.
Well gag me with a spoon, I would've thought that would be much lower.[/quote] Yeah Me too,it just goes to show how society has changed and how the Goal Posts have had to be moved to allow for the youngsters who have been on their playstation's for the last couple of years instead of getting out of their darkend bedroom's and doing a bit of phys...

I should just add that I am one of those softie young 'uns, and even I think that time is too high. I can beat that time (who couldn't, it's a jog) and I would not think myself anyway near the fitness level required for infantry.

Still, as I'm going for R Signals, looks like I've only got to beat 14 minutes 8).

backblast said:
Just so you know BurnCK when it start's to Rain just before you go out into the field on Ex,and believe Me 9 time's out of 10 it will,the blokes don't get told it's been binned and to go back in the block and play board games !
Obviously !!....Id run in a blizzard without complaining, that wasnt what I was saying. I was saying that that's why I didnt hit the time Id been getting in practice. If the weather bothered me then I wouldnt be running the 3 miles Im currently doing EVERY DAY before work, which sometimes means getting up at around 4am to do it cos I often start work at 6am !

BurnCK said:
backblast said:
Obviously !!....Id run in a blizzard without complaining, that wasnt what I was saying. I was saying that that's why I didnt hit the time Id been getting in practice. If the weather bothered me then I wouldnt be running the 3 miles Im currently doing EVERY DAY before work, which sometimes means getting up at around 4am to do it cos I often start work at 6am !
If that wasn't a bite, I'll eat my own årse. :D

For phucks sakes....

How can anyone get through the net doing runs at 12 and 13 minutes?!?!?! When I was doing those times I had a gut the size of Belgium.

That seriously takes the urine - Quincy, I am by no means fit as a fiddle, but I can do it in 10:40, and I'm 14 stone and 5'10!!!

So I'll be damned if anyone here asks "is it ok if I only manage 13 minutes?"

DON'T SETTLE FOR UTTER SHYTE TIMES LIKE THAT, PUSH YOURSELF YOU FAT FATHERLESS!

I did. :x

here endeth the rant...

Quincy,

I did my RSC not that long back, I'm not in yet as I have to pass a nursing board soon, but as you can imagine nurses are not competing with the Paras. That said I made it in 10:30 and was, at the time, a good stone and a half over weight at 14 stone, ( not like now as I'm now a slimline racing snake).
There was one kid who made it within his official time to beat for the signals but was refused when it came to the end. (In fact as far as I could make out he was the only one who failed on that day). He made it round in 13:15 and was seventeen. So my advice would be to think of 10:30 as your time to beat like everone else, that way if your a bit off you'll still be well within your official minimun.

As for training for this I know some people prefer to train outside but I made the most of the treadmill because it showed me exactly what I was achieving. As soon as you start to find your reaching your target you simply speed up on your next run. The treadmill makes sure your speed remains constant so your always running at your peak. Just remember to up the gradient to between 1.5 to 2.0 to make up for treadmill propelling you forward. Its hard at first but with the time you have left you can make a hugh difference, ( don't forget to rest for a couple of days before the big event though - you may find your time actually improves)

You seem to have a good attitude towards phys a lot of these boys and girls out there could do a lot worse than to take a page out of your book. I find it incredulous that a seventeen year old runs a mile and a half in 13:15
I am just the right side of 40 and can still do it in times between 9:50 and 10:15 depending on how I'm feeling that day
Franz said:
Quincy,

I did my RSC not that long back, I'm not in yet as I have to pass a nursing board soon, but as you can imagine nurses are not competing with the Paras. That said I made it in 10:30 and was, at the time, a good stone and a half over weight at 14 stone, ( not like now as I'm now a slimline racing snake).
There was one kid who made it within his official time to beat for the signals but was refused when it came to the end. (In fact as far as I could make out he was the only one who failed on that day). He made it round in 13:15 and was seventeen. So my advice would be to think of 10:30 as your time to beat like everone else, that way if your a bit off you'll still be well within your official minimun.

As for training for this I know some people prefer to train outside but I made the most of the treadmill because it showed me exactly what I was achieving. As soon as you start to find your reaching your target you simply speed up on your next run. The treadmill makes sure your speed remains constant so your always running at your peak. Just remember to up the gradient to between 1.5 to 2.0 to make up for treadmill propelling you forward. Its hard at first but with the time you have left you can make a hugh difference, ( don't forget to rest for a couple of days before the big event though - you may find your time actually improves)

Franz said:
Quincy,

As for training for this I know some people prefer to train outside but I made the most of the treadmill because it showed me exactly what I was achieving. As soon as you start to find your reaching your target you simply speed up on your next run. The treadmill makes sure your speed remains constant so your always running at your peak.
I was just about to hurl my cup of coffee at the screen until -

Franz said:
Quincy,
Just remember to up the gradient to between 1.5 to 2.0 to make up for treadmill propelling you forward.
I never knew that - I always had arguments with chaps who said the treadmill was as hard as the real deal, which I though was bollucks. But 2% incline - does that put it on a par? Because I always though a treadmill was useful for keeping a pace, (not withstanding the fact it just made your legs go round and do puhck all for you).

welshblokemiles

Hey I like all this attention, normally I can kill a thread stone dead simply by looking at it. Right though, I'm not setting myself up as a personal trainer just letting others now what worked for me when I had a relatively short period of time. The 2% thing was what one of the real personal trainers told me in the gym and it seemed to work, I got much fitter in no time at all. That said the treadmill training is only something I would recommend for this specific task- ie running for your 1.5 on a usually flatish course. I'd recommend running outside, across fields and up mountains for the real fitness work required to be an effective soldier cause you certainly won't be placing the same strain on your other muscles on a treadmill.

The 2% thing though certainly makes it harder even if it doen't sound much as I had run without it for the first few runs and felt alright. Then I turned it up and nearly died.

I am willing to stand corrected by anyone though - I want to learn too.

Cheers
Franz

Research has shown that 1% gradient is an accurate reflection of outdoor running as this study by Jones and Doust (1996) http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/(vxnxrn55pbqwhfbnk21gmd45)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,5,10;journal,109,110;linkingpublicationresults,1:100184,1 shows.

If you want to find more research on treadmill do a search with Google Scholar.

Scots