1.5 mile run - does it give you much training benefit?

I am training hard at the moment and have noticed some massive improvements so far, was just wondering if I can count doing a 1.5 miler best effort as an effective training session?

Most fitness books recommend 20-30 minute runs, hill reps, or Fartlek.

I periodically do 1.5 milers to see how I am getting on and also do the odd bleep test. Ive got me times down from a shocking 11-12 minutes several months ago to 10 minutes

In other peoples experience is it much harder and takes longer to knock those times down to 9 minutes and below?

yossarian said:
I am training hard at the moment and have noticed some massive improvements so far, was just wondering if I can count doing a 1.5 miler best effort as an effective training session?

Most fitness books recommend 20-30 minute runs, hill reps, or Fartlek.

I periodically do 1.5 milers to see how I am getting on and also do the odd bleep test. Ive got me times down from a shocking 11-12 minutes several months ago to 10 minutes

In other peoples experience is it much harder and takes longer to knock those times down to 9 minutes and below?
Back when I was in my early twenties, it took me about 6 months to get from struggling to get in under the fail mark at 10:30 to a 7:45. To do this I ran the same 4 mile course every weekday as fast as I could go, sometimes twice a day. I also did a single 8 mile run every weekend. All of this was on top of a fairly hefty unit PT programme of 3 lengthy runs per week, including at least one with weapons and bergans. I also gave up beer during the week, stopped eating for 2 and got my weight down from 95 to 70 kgs. It was great, I was rarely beaten in a BFT. Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days...

My standard running fare is a one mile slow jog to get to where I run as a warm-up, a mile and a half, some stretches, 6 intervals of running as hard as I can for one min followed by one mins of jogging to recover, then I run as hard as I can to another point (try to do it under 4mins30) and then a mile slow job home to warm-down. Once a week I also hit the exercise bike and do intervals on that and then once more a week I do a five mile run and make sure I do the middle three miles in less than 21:30.