1.5 mile run - does it give you much training benefit?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by yossarian, Jun 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am training hard at the moment and have noticed some massive improvements so far, was just wondering if I can count doing a 1.5 miler best effort as an effective training session?

Most fitness books recommend 20-30 minute runs, hill reps, or Fartlek.

I periodically do 1.5 milers to see how I am getting on and also do the odd bleep test. Ive got me times down from a shocking 11-12 minutes several months ago to 10 minutes

In other peoples experience is it much harder and takes longer to knock those times down to 9 minutes and below?
  2. You gotta be doing longer runs and also try 8* 100 metres and 6* 400 metres to work on your speed
  3. Back when I was in my early twenties, it took me about 6 months to get from struggling to get in under the fail mark at 10:30 to a 7:45. To do this I ran the same 4 mile course every weekday as fast as I could go, sometimes twice a day. I also did a single 8 mile run every weekend. All of this was on top of a fairly hefty unit PT programme of 3 lengthy runs per week, including at least one with weapons and bergans. I also gave up beer during the week, stopped eating for 2 and got my weight down from 95 to 70 kgs. It was great, I was rarely beaten in a BFT. Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days...
  4. My standard running fare is a one mile slow jog to get to where I run as a warm-up, a mile and a half, some stretches, 6 intervals of running as hard as I can for one min followed by one mins of jogging to recover, then I run as hard as I can to another point (try to do it under 4mins30) and then a mile slow job home to warm-down. Once a week I also hit the exercise bike and do intervals on that and then once more a week I do a five mile run and make sure I do the middle three miles in less than 21:30.
  5. you could run the 1.5 route, stop the clock and keep running.