Builds 1:400 Mary Rose

Trick_Boom

War Hero
20220130_231214.jpg

Thought I would try something different from the aircraft builds.
20220130_231624.jpg

The Mary Rose was a successful warship for Henry VIII for 34 years: almost the entire duration of his reign.

The Mary Rose - Favourite Ship of Henry VIIIMary Rose
20220131_200626.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of a drift but Portsmouth Football Club used to have a fanzine called ‘More Dead Wood Than The Mary Rose’.
Trying to build the Airfix HMS Victory put me off sailing ship kits for life, so good luck with the build.

Last edited:

Daz

LE
Looks a nice little kit. I remember when these were in plastic bags!
Not that one, it was a new tool in 2014

Looks a nice little kit. I remember when these were in plastic bags!
I remember them. My first encounter with Airfix kits was when my parents and I were on a caravan holiday at Pagham, near Bognor in the early 50s. I remember the loo stank, and as the weather was wet for much of the week we spent quite a bit of time in the caravan. To compensate, I was bought the Airfix model of the Golden Hind, as you say, in a plastic bag.

Mt father assembled it in the caravan, using the type of glue we had at school with a rubber cap with a slit (which used to get encrusted with old glue). He did not know that you had to use a special cement - the sort I became acquainted with as I got older and built more model kits. He tried to paint it using my water colour paint box.

Not surprisingly, the paint would not stick to the plastic and Golden Hind fell apart after about half an hour.......

Airfix added more ships to the series as years went by; HMS Victory, the Santa Maria, HMS Shannon, the Revenge and the paddle steamer Great Western come to mind. I seem to remember you could get them in Woolworth's, with a price tag of 1s 11d, as were their first aircraft kits - also in plastic bags with the instructions on the back of the cardboard stapled to the bag showing an artist's impression of the ship/aircraft.

1981, the year the Mary Rose to the surface, Lady Di married Charles and the following year was the Falklands, a great time to be British.

Nice little kit by the look of it, painting the hull to look like timber will be interesting, Quite a lot of painting details flags and shields if the Margaret Rule book is to be used as reference. Great piece of British History.

here's a link to another airfix tall- ship build with some tips on wood painting.

Last edited:

DarkBrig

War Hero
Does the kit come with the natty yellow cradle?

View attachment 642467
Me and my mate deliberately dogged school that day just to see it rise, didn't even claim to be sick just agreed to meet at his and watch it live.
My dad says he woke me up and carried me down to see Apollo 11 land ( I was 3) but I obviously don't remember it, - this though I do. It might not have been earth shattering but it was history and I was "there" when it happened.

Trick_Boom

War Hero
I remember them. My first encounter with Airfix kits was when my parents and I were on a caravan holiday at Pagham, near Bognor in the early 50s. I remember the loo stank, and as the weather was wet for much of the week we spent quite a bit of time in the caravan. To compensate, I was bought the Airfix model of the Golden Hind, as you say, in a plastic bag.

Mt father assembled it in the caravan, using the type of glue we had at school with a rubber cap with a slit (which used to get encrusted with old glue). He did not know that you had to use a special cement - the sort I became acquainted with as I got older and built more model kits. He tried to paint it using my water colour paint box.

Not surprisingly, the paint would not stick to the plastic and Golden Hind fell apart after about half an hour.......

Airfix added more ships to the series as years went by; HMS Victory, the Santa Maria, HMS Shannon, the Revenge and the paddle steamer Great Western come to mind. I seem to remember you could get them in Woolworth's, with a price tag of 1s 11d, as were their first aircraft kits - also in plastic bags with the instructions on the back of the cardboard stapled to the bag showing an artist's impression of the ship/aircraft.
Now that made me laugh, great story :D

Spacehopper383

War Hero
Me and my mate deliberately dogged school that day just to see it rise, didn't even claim to be sick just agreed to meet at his and watch it live.
My dad says he woke me up and carried me down to see Apollo 11 land ( I was 3) but I obviously don't remember it, - this though I do. It might not have been earth shattering but it was history and I was "there" when it happened.
I remember watching it come up and the brown trouser moment when one of the supports gave way. You can see the missing support (or lack of) in the photo front left.

Latest Threads