Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds 1/35th scale WW1 Rolls Royce Armoured car by warslug

I wonder what SAC Shaw would have made of the big white cushion in the cab? nice helpful pictures there Rob, many thanks.

the radiator and rear body fitted.
rad on[1].jpg

That’s the second Rolls Royce Armoured Car I’ve had the chance to look at. The first one was the Irish Army’s one and now the RAFs one. The amount of copper and brass on the engines is amazing. The Irish Army’s one, which I saw at Tankfest a few years ago, was so clean and polished you could eat off of it!

Daz

LE
I wonder what SAC Shaw would have made of the big white cushion in the cab? nice helpful pictures there Rob, many thanks.

the radiator and rear body fitted.
View attachment 465520
It clashed with the drapes on the armoured visors :)

Cracking work BTW

weak coat of green, I might try the salt trick to show worn paint
first week coat of og.png

the wheels are made from four pieces, hub, inner outer and center Tyre.
four pice wheels.png

first coat on the tyres
first rough coat on wheels.png

the salt adheres to the wetted surface before a coat of sand was sprayed on. When the paint dries the salt can be brushed off.
salt method .png

brushed off, the salt leaves the patches of paint showing underneath the top coat, I'm going to be doing this in ever decreasing amounts for a more subtle finish.
salt method a.png

2nd coat of portland stone colour over salt. Here the salt has been brushed away to reveal the effect, so far.
2nd coat c.png

on the turret top
2nd coat turret top.png

Back form Liverpool with some new wheels, salt under a light coat of Desert pink.
weathered wheels on.png

close ups of the effect I'm trying to achieve, long service in the desert look.
turret bottom edge.png

bonnet cover rear.png

nearly finished, just headlights, and the sandshields to do.
nearly finished.png

the Royal Tank Corps marking, had the option for an RAF or Navy one, but RTC was my choice.
tank corp decal.png

Daz

LE
Thanks Guys, it's nearly finished, just the headlights to finish by painting them another coat, the side lights on the front mudguards are clear parts, so they need another coat to make then less translucent. A desert diorama and a glass case, later.
colletion building.png