Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds 1/35th scale WW1 Rolls Royce Armoured car by warslug

This just arrived in the post from a e bay seller in Glasgow, I'm going to be building it over the next few weeks, stating this weekend.
box art.png

box lid off moment, 7 sprues including the clear parts sprue, the model is split up into tiny fragments, proper model kit.
box lid off.png

starting with, the engine compartment
FIRST PAGE.png

Nice. I'm looking forward to following your build. I don't think I can do 1/35 anymore, my eye sight ain't what it used to be, and my fingers appear too big.

That model looks very fiddly.

departure from normal kit building practice here, and I had to do a double take. Part H is a jig for the chassis to sit in while the glue sets, the Jig is in fact the sprue with all the clear parts on it.
departure from norm.png

I found it easier to depart form the procedure suggested in the instructions, make up the chassis and then place it on the jig, that way no surplus cement is going to mar the lights and other clear parts.
departure from norm parts fitted.png

Daz

LE

aardvark64

War Hero
Wokka?

Daz

LE
the armoured cab, minimal clean up needed, there are moulding pips here and there, they clip of fine, the rough spot left behind can be cleaned up with fine wet and dry.
armoured cab a.png

coat of Halford grey primer from a can.
first coat halfords.png

first coat halford bs.png

the armoured cab, minimal clean up needed, there are moulding pips here and there, they clip of fine, the rough spot left behind can be cleaned up with fine wet and dry.
View attachment 464981
coat of Halford grey primer from a can.
View attachment 464982
View attachment 464980
@SPROCKET321
After you apply the grey primer and you need to glue bits to it, do you scrape off the primer before mating the parts or does the cement adhere to the primer?
In my previous model making years, I would paint the lot with enamel whilst it was still on the sprues then scrape each mating part so it cemented on the plastic. I'm assuming the same applies to modern acrylic paints?

@SPROCKET321
After you apply the grey primer and you need to glue bits to it, do you scrape off the primer before mating the parts or does the cement adhere to the primer?
In my previous model making years, I would paint the lot with enamel whilst it was still on the sprues then scrape each mating part so it cemented on the plastic. I'm assuming the same applies to modern acrylic paints?
100% correct, you need to scrape a small area of contact on both surfaces for the cement to work and provide a strong bond, though I have found that model cement does melt Halfords primer causing a reasonable bond, it's always better to scrape off the paint.

the front bulkhead going on.
engine bulkhead.png

before fitting the armoured body over the drivers seat, I found I'd fitted the rear floor too low, had to take it off to re-position it correctly
wood floor.png

the rear doors are either located as open or closed, if open, the individual hinges have to be fitted to the hull.
hinges individually fitted.png

Last edited: