Builds 1/35th scale White Scout car M3A1 with Eduard detail set

the eduard instructions suggest carving off the molded on detail of the jerrycan holder, easier by a long chalk to find a bare jerrycan from the spares box.
jerrycans.png

the pe jerrycan holder and the bumper bars and headlamp protector grills ready for primer, once they are superglued to the model, they are easier to finish shaping properly.
pe jerrycan holders.png

Last edited:
salt technique, step one, wet and sprinkle, in the areas you want chipping.
salt technique a.png

salt technique b.png

then a coat of faded Olive drab from Lifecolours range.
salt technique d.png

I tried a variation of the salt technique today, instead of scraping off the salt between colours, I left it on, to get the base colours to peek through clearer. That way, a coat of sand at the end will tone the shades down equally. at the moment it looks fit for the scrapyard.
salt technique e.png

next phase, re salt and apply the yellow sand and dark slate grey cam.
salt technique f.png

blow ups always alarm me and show my faults, look at that line on the bonnet to side join
salt technique g.png

light coat of desert yellow with a faded coat of slate grey.
yellow and slate grey camouflage b.png

the salt is still clinging on in the corners
yellow and slate grey camouflage a.png

Note to self, leave the most delicate PE like light grills off until after the salt technique is completed.
pe lightgrills d.png

look how battered they get when you have to re fit them after they get knocked off ....twice, during the salt technique.
pe lightgrills cu.png

look how battered they get when you have to re fit them after they get knocked off ....twice, during the salt technique.
They actually look better for it. Probably a bit late to suggest it but could you do a bent/straightened/buckled bumper and beaten out mudguard?

daz

LE
Note to self, leave the most delicate PE like light grills off until after the salt technique is completed.
View attachment 490641

View attachment 490642
Have you tried warm water to dissolve the salt rather than brushing it off? might cause less damage to the brass bits?

They actually look better for it. Probably a bit late to suggest it but could you do a bent/straightened/buckled bumper and beaten out mudguard?
damage like that would be realistic and add interest, but you have to plan for that right from the start as it's major conversion work that has to be completed well before construction begins. I've always wanted to do a tank crushing an old car diorama, may do it one day.

Anyway, back to reality, I wasn't impressed by the lay of the Pe Brackets, so replaced the kit one's.
kit bracktes used.png

the pe instructions show the outer braces go under not over the outer panel.
so I had to correct that.
brackets behind.png

the PE instructions also omit the gap between the top anti slip panel and the end panel with the tail lights.
real scout car rear panel brackets.png

so on it goes, this time looking a lot more accurate, well, it will after the superglue string is removed and I move it up 3mm.
brackets held with super glue string.png

Have you tried warm water to dissolve the salt rather than brushing it off? might cause less damage to the brass bits?
I'll give that a go next, have to watch the tissue and white glue canvas top doesn't dissolve.

I used a paint brush dipped in a mild washing up liquid and it left a covering of salt the following day, so, much to the amusement of my daughter, I placed the model in the shower. Warm, did the job. Left in the warmth to dry off.
dry off after shower.png

after a black wash and some of the decals applied.
black wash.png

black wash b.png

It is indeed.

Just one point: if it was parked up and abandoned, would it still have the jerry cans on it?
that's a fair point, and the pioneer tools would be in the G1098 store, or whatever it was in 1941. I'm having thoughts of changing it all and having it open with the skate ring mounted guns and a bloke having a fag. The top's not doing it and the pe for the guns are calling.
black wash and decals rear c.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads