Builds 1/35th scale White Scout car M3A1 with Eduard detail set

I'm struggling to think of any museum I've been to where this has either been exhibited "closed up" or shown in historical photos alongside in such a state. In a frontline setting I'm guessing they went open top with all the toys onboard - and didn't even stow them and "hood up" when it rained heavily. I'd take a view that they'd cover the guns but otherwise keep it "ready for action" in bad weather - rigging the covers with a "quick-release" on the tie-down. Show it uncovered, show the interior detail - and show off your Goddammit modelling skills*!!"

Alternatively, build the more famous/well/known vehicle in this basic body shape and stick tracks under the arse-end!

* Not jealous, honest.
good point about the canvas cover, but vehicles weren't always on the front line, and lets face it, in a approaching sandstorm in the Western desert are you not going to give the order, "get the top up lads, we're in for it for the night" anyway, as you say, I'm making it open.

NSP

LE
good point about the canvas cover, but vehicles weren't always on the front line, and lets face it, in a approaching sandstorm in the Western desert are you not going to give the order, "get the top up lads, we're in for it for the night" anyway, as you say, I'm making it open.
I assumed you were doing a follow-on to the general forum theme for the D-Day anniversary. I struggle with the small print (I really need to get down to Specsavers).

To be fair the mount is mainly obscured by the ammo box, but it is there, my only critisism of the box artwork is how did that guy from the front of Nuts magazine get to command a scout car in WW2. Just look at his ears!
View attachment 488504
the figures in the kit, well lets just be kind and say they are of their time, there are aftermarket sets of British armoured car crews available.
2 odd things just noted

1-Gunner has a paratroop chin cup
2- Fifty has the 1930's Colt Barrel support which is slotted

To be fair the mount is mainly obscured by the ammo box, but it is there, my only critisism of the box artwork is how did that guy from the front of Nuts magazine get to command a scout car in WW2. Just look at his ears!
View attachment 488504
the figures in the kit, well lets just be kind and say they are of their time, there are aftermarket sets of British armoured car crews available.
2 odd things just noted

1-Gunner has a paratroop chin cup
2- Fifty has the 1930's Colt Barrel support which is slotted

"what are our chances of being thrown in that can with all the other shapeless sprues"?
three figures close up.png

needless to say, I won't be using the figures supplied in the kit

Last edited:
a coat of Halford's grey primer, helpful when your using brass and plastic together and you need both to take paint at the same rate.
grey primer.png

fittng lower body to the chassis. So far so good
Chassis and lower body.png

taking a close look at the floor texturing, from the factory I would think it would be spray painted olive green like the rest of the body, as it's open and would be seen from the air, but would take a lot or wear from soles of the crews boots. Weathering wear and tear needed here, before the sides go on.
floor in primer.png

There’s an interesting (and short) psychological description of why you buy Kits so that you can turn them into something else in Harry Pearson’s great little book about being a boy in the 60s/70s:

Scratch building eh? Soon to be a thing of the very distant past.....
What a coincidence - I just finished re-reading my copy today...

The story of my life is in that book... :)

the first step with the floor is to paint it aluminium, let it dry add water and sprinkles of salt.
interior a.png

then the silver is oversprayed with Olive green, dried and brushed off
interior b.png

then a further sprinkling of salt and on goes a Desert yellow light coat
interior c.png

filling in some knock out injector pin marks
sink marks on body interior surfaces.png

the interior surfaces of the body sides get a similar treatment including
small amounts of rust.after the salt technique, the rust looks quite effective.
interior rust.png

Before the British took this vehicle over, it would have had US stars painted on it in the factory, these would get painted over as the allied star didn't come in till later. the Eduard set provides really useful stickey peel off masks. Love em. They will get the old salt treatment and just peer through the worn desert paintwork.
white stars.png

the radiator protective shield slats would also have had a star, this will be barely visible as the paint on the slats is going to be very worn.
radiator shutters a.png

radiator shutters c.png

another nice job @SPROCKET321
Thanks Buddy.

flat plates, best easiest way to apply PE, I did a test fit to make sure these bonnet armoured sides fit on ok first, you don't want a struggle when PE has been fitted.
pe fitting.png

the parts in their positions on the side of the model, the brackets are on, but the jerrycan holders are still to be made, the jerry cans are going to be rusty and battered.
jerry can bracket.png

the dashboard, Eduard suggest modifying the dash kit part, I found it easier to remake the backing plate in plasticard. the pe kit provides a printed instrument sheet, quite effective.
dashboard parts.png

Latest Threads