Builds 1/35th scale White Scout car M3A1 with Eduard detail set

box art.png

You're probably wondering why has he chosen the old Airfix one, when Tamiya, Bronco,and some other eastern European companys have produced a modern kit of this in recent times.
Well most of the kits of this are in fact the same molds used by Airfix in 1975, save the latest Tamiya one they are mainly re box re issues of this kit.
sealed bag.png

got mine cheap off e bay and the seller was true in that the box is battered (so what I'm not collecting it) but the kit is still in it's sealed bag, after all this time!
and today, the Eduard detail set for it arrived, there are three frets like this one,
eduard 1.png

I think the parts count for the PE set may outnumber the parts count for the actual kit, lets see
kit parts count.png

Last edited:
the floor and chassis of the kit
kit floor and chassis.png

it does come with a canvas hood, unrealistic in thick plastic, but I'm not using that, if I were to hood it up, I'd make steel hoops and make the canvas with tissue soaked in diluted white glue.
kit hood.png

But that would hide the eduard floor detail, and I want to go to town on the inside. It's a shame cos I'm taken with the picture on the side of the kit box.
box side picture.png

there were four parts that escaped from the sprue frames and ended up in the corner of the clear plastic bag.
loose kit parts.png

so what are my plans for this? The kit suggests western desert use by British and Commonwealth forces, I'll go with that, I'll press home all I've learnt about the salt technique on AFVs. A battered veteran left in a vehicle park in Egypt, as the war, and better designed kit, moved on to Tunisia. I'll even have a drip tray underneath it. And I'll employ all the PE.
eduard 2.png

nice one @SPROCKET321 - my favourite septic bit of transport. Looking forward to seeing a fleet tomorrow!

There’s an interesting (and short) psychological description of why you buy Kits so that you can turn them into something else in Harry Pearson’s great little book about being a boy in the 60s/70s:

Scratch building eh? Soon to be a thing of the very distant past.....

View attachment 488308
You're probably wondering why has he chosen the old Airfix one, when Tamiya, Bronco,and some other eastern European companys have produced a modern kit of this in recent times.
Well most of the kits of this are in fact the same molds used by Airfix in 1975, save the latest Tamiya one they are mainly re box re issues of this kit.
View attachment 488310
got mine cheap off e bay and the seller was true in that the box is battered (so what I'm not collecting it) but the kit is still in it's sealed bag, after all this time!
and today, the Eduard detail set for it arrived, there are three frets like this one,
View attachment 488311
I think the parts count for the PE set may outnumber the parts count for the actual kit, lets see
View attachment 488313
Airfix got the molds from Peerless/Max this kit is Hoary

so on with the kit, starting with sanding off the raised floor detail to accept the PE flat floor plates.
floor sanding.png

on they go, and they provide scale gripper surface texture
floor panels.png

also sanded off, raised hinge detail so these brass bin lids fit.
floor and bin tops.png

there is a gap at the front to allow the internal bulkhead to fit
floor panels front.png

the kit part has knockout marks that need to be filled
sink holes in body brace.png

There’s an interesting (and short) psychological description of why you buy Kits so that you can turn them into something else in Harry Pearson’s great little book about being a boy in the 60s/70s:

Scratch building eh? Soon to be a thing of the very distant past.....
I beg to differ - here's my first attempt at a 1/9 Vokes filter cobbled from wire, wine bottle foil, mesh, sprue and a cut up pannier from Italeris Triumph 3HW.
IMG_20200703_172649.jpg
IMG_20200703_121243.jpgIMG_20200701_004755.jpgIMG_20200701_004702.jpg

Fair enough, - it's bollox. My micrometer is backed and it grew. I'll send a photo of the correctly dimensioned Mkll later.

I look forward to seeing the finished version to see how it compares with the box picture.

Points I'll be looking for include:

The kit says it includes 3 figures although the picture shows 4, none of which is the driver.

You're doing a British version but the figures are US. Does the kit have some British figures? Or is that the reason behind your canny move to depict it in a vehicle park?

The front MG is levitating above the windscreen without an evident mount.

That must be one of the worst examples of box artwork that Airfix ever did.

NSP

LE
the floor and chassis of the kit
View attachment 488314
it does come with a canvas hood, unrealistic in thick plastic, but I'm not using that, if I were to hood it up, I'd make steel hoops and make the canvas with tissue soaked in diluted white glue.
View attachment 488317
But that would hide the eduard floor detail, and I want to go to town on the inside. It's a shame cos I'm taken with the picture on the side of the kit box.
View attachment 488316
I'm struggling to think of any museum I've been to where this has either been exhibited "closed up" or shown in historical photos alongside in such a state. In a frontline setting I'm guessing they went open top with all the toys onboard - and didn't even stow them and "hood up" when it rained heavily. I'd take a view that they'd cover the guns but otherwise keep it "ready for action" in bad weather - rigging the covers with a "quick-release" on the tie-down. Show it uncovered, show the interior detail - and show off your Goddammit modelling skills*!!"

Alternatively, build the more famous/well/known vehicle in this basic body shape and stick tracks under the arse-end!

* Not jealous, honest.

I look forward to seeing the finished version to see how it compares with the box picture.

Points I'll be looking for include:

The kit says it includes 3 figures although the picture shows 4, none of which is the driver.

You're doing a British version but the figures are US. Does the kit have some British figures? Or is that the reason behind your canny move to depict it in a vehicle park?

The front MG is levitating above the windscreen without an evident mount.

That must be one of the worst examples of box artwork that Airfix ever did.
To be fair the mount is mainly obscured by the ammo box, but it is there, my only critisism of the box artwork is how did that guy from the front of Nuts magazine get to command a scout car in WW2. Just look at his ears!
GUN MOUNT PICTURE BOX ART.png

the figures in the kit, well lets just be kind and say they are of their time, there are aftermarket sets of British armoured car crews available.

Latest Threads