Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds 1/35th scale Panhard AML 90 Armoured car by Tiger Model

35th scale Armoured car is next up, lets take a look in the box...
box art for kit.jpg

box side.jpg

the lid off moment, and have to say it's chocka.
box lid off.jpg

here's a preview of some of the later stages, so you can get an idea of the level of interior detail.
instruction sheet hull.jpg

instruction sheet.jpg

instruction sheet turret basket.jpg

so back to the start, and starting with the 90mm main gun
instruction sheet gun.jpg

gun assembly done, judging by the neat way this went together, I have high hopes for this, might make it something very battered in Africa, Chad.
gun complete assembly.jpg

gun complete assembly cu pistoil grip.jpg

the kit comes with both rubber and hard plastic three piece tyres, as the tyres are prominently on show, they need wear, tear & weathering. So I'm going for the easier to take paint plastic three parters.
tyres.jpg

the turret roof detail, loads more components to go in there.
turret roof.jpg

trial fit of the partly assembled turret, to check it all fits
turret trial fit.jpg

gluing down the turret ring to the top of the hull, peg/ clips to clamp it down flat
turret ring bonded and clamped.jpg

I do like making model AFVs that detail the crew positions, this model kit has really impressed me so far, fit is good, internal detail is excellent.
turret basket c.jpg

turret basket d.jpg

I never served on AMLs but friends who did (Irish) said that they would routinely take off the wing mirrors on range days as the blast from the gun would break them. Also,the side doors were left ajar before firing, as the overpressure inside the cab would hurt the crews heads. The doors would swing open if left unrestrained and a door with a spare tyre on it was regarded as a menace,as it could swing shut without warning from the weight of the tyre overcoming the lock. The flat four 85 hp engine was regarded as a menace, being petrol in a confined space and being underpowered. They were later replaced with turbodiesels in a new aft hull.

Forgot to ask - what barrel is that?

I never served on AMLs but friends who did (Irish) said that they would routinely take off the wing mirrors on range days as the blast from the gun would break them. Also,the side doors were left ajar before firing, as the overpressure inside the cab would hurt the crews heads. The doors would swing open if left unrestrained and a door with a spare tyre on it was regarded as a menace,as it could swing shut without warning from the weight of the tyre overcoming the lock. The flat four 85 hp engine was regarded as a menace, being petrol in a confined space and being underpowered. They were later replaced with turbodiesels in a new aft hull.

Was the engine replacement a IrDF upgrade sourced locally ( You guys have Timoney after all ) or something bought in from Panhard ?

It used a PSA turbo diesel and whole new engine comparecent. Some of it was local design and fit and some of the entire vehicle upgrade was in conjunction with Panhard and Denel.

Latest Threads