Builds 1/35th scale Military aircraft towing tractor

tractor box art.png

Lat year Airfix released this new tool kit of a US Military tractor, used by USAAF to tow aircraft and munitions around the airfields. Make I nice little model by the looks of it, lets see how it goes together.
step two oil filter.png

tractors are the most basic vehicles, stripped down to bare necessity. the two halves of the engine gearbox go together neatly.
the oil filter, distributer and starter motor are tiny separate parts.
part a 44 distributer cap.png

there are no HT leads from the top of the cap to the spark plugs, there's no spark plugs either, or electrical connection from the cap to the coil. stretched sprue came in handy here.

being 35th scale the distributer cap is only a couple of mm across, If this were 1/25th scale I'd have a better chance, but they might look better in fine fuse wire as sprue doesn't bend that well.
distributer cap with scale.png

It's really tiny and maybe I'm being too fussy, but lets see what It looks like when it's painted
sprue ht leads.png

Last edited:
there is no provision in the kit for the fan belt either, so masking tape made that.
masking tape fan belt.png

next problem is an Airfix Mystery. Part A30 is the plate that bolts to the back of the tractor mounting the tow bar, but it's not here? there's not even a sprue number A30.
tow gear instructions.png

the bar Is present,
Part a 33.png

but not the plate, bit of a pain, I'll have to make one from plastic card, easy enough, but time I shouldn't have to spend.
missing part a 30.png

the part was an easy make, the bolts were made by placing melting sprue through an eduard bolt maker on the edge of one of their frame edges.
bolt maker b.png

these are then sliced off and glued to the plate.
bolt maker c.png

To summarise, the tractor was available with either a petrol engine or a diesel (maybe paraffin) engine. It is therefore feasible for the model to correctly have a distributor, HT leads and a coil so Sprocket doesn't need to modify the parts to maintain accuracy.

Now, was the tractor painted green directly over an undercoat or was it painted green over red? (I note that Sprocket has a penchant for weathering his models).

To summarise, the tractor was available with either a petrol engine or a diesel (maybe paraffin) engine. It is therefore feasible for the model to correctly have a distributor, HT leads and a coil so Sprocket doesn't need to modify the parts to maintain accuracy.

Now, was the tractor painted green directly over an undercoat or was it painted green over red? (I note that Sprocket has a penchant for weathering his models).
Pfft
Rivet counter.

the tyres are rubber, painted with Halfords grey primer then base black, many more shades to go on this, might try the hairspray technique next
test fit axles.png

Daz

LE
the tyres are rubber, painted with Halfords grey primer then base black, many more shades to go on this, might try the hairspray technique next
View attachment 493317
As the tyres are rubber, surely a run down with kero would of been a better option :)

Daz

LE

Latest Threads