Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds 1/35th scale M42 Duster by AFV Club

the Duster on it's sand base ready for it's glass case to be assembled, I had considered a tumble weed, blown under the hull, but googling tumble weeds images, they are fine. maybe there's a PE tumbleweed out there somewhere?
sand base.png

NSP

LE
there's a open area in the belly of the tank.
View attachment 472611
there is a hopper in the hull below the gun turret.
View attachment 472614
feeding right through to the ground beneath.
View attachment 472616
Is that just a part of the model or a replica of a real feature? Presumably the spent case dump if so? Although a prolonged static engagement would soon fill it, I'd imagine. Don't imagine it's an escape hatch, being open-topped and looking at the turret contents sitting over it.

NSP

LE
the muzzle brakes/flash hiders are odd pieces, here they are resting on front of the hull next to the drivers hatch, shame as they hide the excellent muzzle crowns of the metal barrels, but they were on Vietnam Dusters, so on they go.
View attachment 473623
Another three-pronged arrangement. Like a pair of giant Vietnam-era M-16s.

Joking aside, was there a school of thought in that design, since it appears on more than one weapon? On a crew-served weapon I can see it but my readings of history would suggest that the design was problematic on the rifle as it was designed to divert the flash in a Y-shape so that the flash did not pass directly through the sight-line - quite critical at night, I'd think. However, this meant that the third prong of the flash went vetically downwards and accentuated muzzle rise on firing. In the prone it would also apparently kick up dirt and leaf litter and whathaveyou.

NSP

LE
the Duster on it's sand base ready for it's glass case to be assembled, I had considered a tumble weed, blown under the hull, but googling tumble weeds images, they are fine. maybe there's a PE tumbleweed out there somewhere?
View attachment 515926
Is it being displayed as a Vietnam-era model? Perhaps a palm tree on the rear corner of the base?

As usual, the skill, workmanship and patience put into this are second-to-none so maybe leave it as is so as not to move focus from the subject? If you'd included figures so it was more of an action scene I'd say you'd need some set-dressing to give it life but as this is just the vehicle "on static display" I'd say, as a non-modeller but who has viewed models in places like the Fleet Air Arm Museum and Tank Museum and so on, keep the focus on the vehicle. KISS rule.

Is that just a part of the model or a replica of a real feature? Presumably the spent case dump if so? Although a prolonged static engagement would soon fill it, I'd imagine. Don't imagine it's an escape hatch, being open-topped and looking at the turret contents sitting over it.
For empty casings, there is one on the R35 renault tank as well for the 7.5mm CoAx Machinegun cases

Another three-pronged arrangement. Like a pair of giant Vietnam-era M-16s.

Joking aside, was there a school of thought in that design, since it appears on more than one weapon? On a crew-served weapon I can see it but my readings of history would suggest that the design was problematic on the rifle as it was designed to divert the flash in a Y-shape so that the flash did not pass directly through the sight-line - quite critical at night, I'd think. However, this meant that the third prong of the flash went vetically downwards and accentuated muzzle rise on firing. In the prone it would also apparently kick up dirt and leaf litter and whathaveyou.
Well if that was the reason they replaced it with a Flash Hider which had the slot in the same spot. Only on the M16A2 onwards did the bottom of the flash hider be made solid.

The 3 prong was an issue because it got caught in things

Foliage
Webbing straps, etc.
Skin when cleaning (and that would hurt)

I used it to open ammo crate steel strapping. Insert and twist

NSP

LE
Well if that was the reason they replaced it with a Flash Hider which had the slot in the same spot. Only on the M16A2 onwards did the bottom of the flash hider be made solid.

The 3 prong was an issue because it got caught in things

Foliage
Webbing straps, etc.
Skin when cleaning (and that would hurt)

I used it to open ammo crate steel strapping. Insert and twist
How was it as a church key, though...?

View attachment 515926
Why not some raindeer moss and spray clear lacquer

View attachment 515926
Fine wire wool, teased out, light spray of carpet glue and a sprinkle of fine sawdust. They frequently travel in packs...

NSP

LE
Fine wire wool, teased out, light spray of carpet glue and a sprinkle of fine sawdust. They frequently travel in packs...
That might do it...

They might travel in packs but they hunt in pairs.

Jut like Persian Gulf fish traps...

the glass case fitted down over the model, taken in better light conditions.. Need some practice with diorama skills like tumble weed, cactus plants. Plenty more models in the pipeline to practice on.
sealed in it's glass case.png

Latest Threads