Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Builds 1/350th scale model kit WW2 German U boat, made from PE

this kit is entirely PE, it's a bit like metal earth, but more complex, well, you watch and you be the judge.
the keel is one piece bent/folded down the spine, this will take the frames that form the shape of the hull.
nvxrte.jpg

the parts, just like a PE set to superdetail another kit, are cut from the frames by PE scissors and trimmed in the usual way.
2mg4mbk.jpg

the frames get larger and easier to handle as you work in board
2hge91c.jpg

here's one of the wider frames
2dwdph1.jpg

as you get to the wider part of the U boat, the model has work stations and crew compartments, bunk beds..
2eobrpu.jpg

a head, or for us landlubbers a loo.

here's one of the engines
e6f77r.jpg

more construction, just a hint of superglue..
sq3xbp.jpg

ops room?
2ajq1c5.jpg

6t0dip.jpg

few more frames fitted
2dtu0w6.jpg

oh, yes, fancy a trip to the submarine museum, rest my eye's for a bit

steering and propulsion
2ujo1kz.jpg

29e4wol.jpg

a macies coffee stirring stick, snapped off the right length, to support the hydroplane while it sets
2ptpkjt.jpg

pleading insanity milud, finished and in the palm of my hand for scale
sfgpe9.jpg

Nice little intro to PE there, but I would have to say they suggest using a modelling blade to remove photoetched parts, I find small scissors better for the job, you can trim off the stub far easier and the knife blade can lead to stretching of the photo etched frame and even damage the delicate part you are trying to remove, Italeri do a great, reasonably priced pair of PE scissors
Metal Scissors Model Making Tools Kit Mini Tweeze Precision Model Tools | eBay