• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Builds 1/350th scale model kit WW2 German U boat, made from PE

this kit is entirely PE, it's a bit like metal earth, but more complex, well, you watch and you be the judge.
the keel is one piece bent/folded down the spine, this will take the frames that form the shape of the hull.

the parts, just like a PE set to superdetail another kit, are cut from the frames by PE scissors and trimmed in the usual way.

the frames get larger and easier to handle as you work in board

here's one of the wider frames

as you get to the wider part of the U boat, the model has work stations and crew compartments, bunk beds..

a head, or for us landlubbers a loo.

here's one of the engines

more construction, just a hint of superglue..

ops room?

few more frames fitted

oh, yes, fancy a trip to the submarine museum, rest my eye's for a bit

steering and propulsion

a macies coffee stirring stick, snapped off the right length, to support the hydroplane while it sets

pleading insanity milud, finished and in the palm of my hand for scale

You've finally snapped, it was a matter of when not if really! Looks amazing though.
I concur with the Honorable Gentleman's assessment, I've indented for the nice white jacket with the crossover sleeves :)

Nice little intro to PE there, but I would have to say they suggest using a modelling blade to remove photoetched parts, I find small scissors better for the job, you can trim off the stub far easier and the knife blade can lead to stretching of the photo etched frame and even damage the delicate part you are trying to remove, Italeri do a great, reasonably priced pair of PE scissors
Metal Scissors Model Making Tools Kit Mini Tweeze Precision Model Tools | eBay

You've finally snapped, it was a matter of when not if really! Looks amazing though.
I want to know where he finds the time to do normal stuff, like eat or have a shite. @SPROCKET321 appears to model 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week - non-stop and any subject!

I want to know where he finds the time to do normal stuff, like eat or have a shite. @SPROCKET321 appears to model 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week - non-stop and any subject!
He's been cloned.......or reproduced via 3D printers :)

So not made with plastic explosives then?

Looks great. :)
if we are using plastic explosives in the modelling area, then things have gone seriously wrong, mind you, it's far more abrupt an end to a project than say, a messy airgun shoot up. My Airfix SR.N4 model is teetering on the edge. PE4 on standby.

if we are using plastic explosives in the modelling area, then things have gone seriously wrong, mind you, it's far more abrupt an end to a project than say, a messy airgun shoot up. My Airfix SR.N4 model is teetering on the edge. PE4 on standby.
Not if its made by Revell :)

Latest Threads