Builds 1/35 scale Saladin Armoured Car Mk 2

I’m of the understanding that we got rid of Scorpions as part of the drawdown of forces on Germany, CFE rings a bell, the Soviets got rid of tanks, we got rid of Scorpions due to the size of their gun the Soviets considered them tanks as well

I’m of the understanding that we got rid of Scorpions as part of the drawdown of forces on Germany, CFE rings a bell, the Soviets got rid of tanks, we got rid of Scorpions due to the size of their gun the Soviets considered them tanks as well
Well I didn't know that, but to be honest the Soviets were probably being bloody minded anyway.

It wasn’t just the main armament fumes, remember the Co-Ax fumes used to come back in as well, I remember a night shoot on BATUS when our driver was overcome by fumes, then the recoil on main caused him to smack his head off of his night sight...cue helicopter drills...

It wasn’t just the main armament fumes, remember the Co-Ax fumes used to come back in as well, I remember a night shoot on BATUS when our driver was overcome by fumes, then the recoil on main caused him to smack his head off of his night sight...cue helicopter drills...
I never did BATUS, so never did get to enjoy the luxurious feeling of being tossed around while the gunner had his jollies. Our drivers weren't allowed in their seats while live firing was going on.
So when we got rid of the Scorpions, does anyone know what happened to them?

I never did BATUS, so never did get to enjoy the luxurious feeling of being tossed around while the gunner had his jollies. Our drivers weren't allowed in their seats while live firing was going on.
So when we got rid of the Scorpions, does anyone know what happened to them?
The hulls were re purposed for the Sabre. The turret? No idea.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks like it was true then. Thanks all.

undervalued

On ROPS
On ROPs
I was tp Ssgt of what was probably the last recce troop of Scorpions in the British Army at CATC in Warminster many, many years ago. The recce platoon were issued Sabres.
The breech blocks on the Scorpions were tack welded to the breech.
I remember hearing at the time that the RAF Regt had found that the propellant fumes were possibly cancer causing.
If that's true or not, I don't know.

Back on thread with the Saladins, the Aussies used 'em for a time. But during the Vietnam War they needed a fire support vehical. The turrets were nicked off a number of the Saladins and fitted to M113s.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

(apologies if @Lupercal has already seen)

ugly

LE
Did these and Saracens have the same wind up transmission issues as the Stalwart?

I heard that you couldn't fire the main gun on a Saladin or Scorpion because the turret filled with fumes.

Anyone able to confirm or deny this from experience or reliable testimony?
I heard that from David Fletcher of the Tank Museum a few months after they were withdrawn.

ugly

LE
Yet they were fired and regularly, snowflakes!

I did my annual gunnery twice after qualifying on 76, at Hohne ranges all the hatches were open and I don't remember the fumes but we are looking at @40 years ago. I don't think we ever fired closed down.

(apologies if @Lupercal has already seen)
Now here's a small world, I and a mate who's an expert on 2RTR vehicals are both 99% sure the Saladin in this YouTube video was on our Regts Orbitt out in Libiya.
IMG_20190525_203936.jpg

Here is a photo of said vehicles sister, being prepped for the ranges in Libiya @61/62.

ps. Paint job for Libiya is wrong, there's no RAC yellow/red tac marking or div marking.