Builds 1/35 scale Saladin Armoured Car Mk 2

Do Aussies still use the 113, only ask as my next door wasn't over impressed with em, the standard one really rolled around, what with a couple of tonnes slapped on top.

Later upgraded with Scorpion turrets.
I think they are still in service,happy to be corrected if I am wrong.
Happy to do so. Not sure when they were retired but there are a couple of snippets around that indicate that they went out of service for the same reason and at about the same time that Scorpion was retired in the UK.

While neither of the below links gives an out of service date, they do show which variants are in service and FSV/MRV is conspicuously absent:

50 years service for M113 | Australian Army

M113AS4 Armoured Personnel Carrier | Australian Army

Good to see the old Churchill. A great kit at the time. Add a couple of hatch halves and good for another 30 years!

You're far too young to have served in one of these Loops !

In the late 1980's they were still in service in Sri Lanka, cos they came to us for ammunition, of which we had several thousand rds.

FCO got their knickers in a twist about (76mm?) Canister so they went elsewhere.

Think up till early 90's the Omani Army had a few left over.

Bit of the history here: FV601 Saladin - Tanks Encylcopedia

- and for the truly nostalgic you can't beat a bit of Pathe News ;-D

Attachments

So after a long hiatus due to work, illness and more work, I finally got to do some more on the Saladin. I didn't think anyone would be interested in the priming stage of the build, so I am just uploading where I'm up to now with starting the painting. I've gone for a desert theme because thems the colours I had in my paints box (and it keeps a theme because I recently picked up a 1/35 Pink Panther Land Rover which will be my next build) I have used Citadel/Games Workshop paints. I did a base coat of Zandri Dust which is a yellow-ish sand colour, with a heavy dry brush of Rakarth Flesh which is a more earthy shade. Next will be a lighter dry brush using Ushabti Bone, then I will be getting on with the final build, assembly and markings, although I still haven't decided if I'm going to use the markings that came in the box or source some third party transfers. Apologies for the quality of the photo, I don't have a super fancy camera, so I used a potato my phone.
IMG_20190308_132448.jpg

So after a long hiatus due to work, illness and more work, I finally got to do some more on the Saladin. I didn't think anyone would be interested in the priming stage of the build, so I am just uploading where I'm up to now with starting the painting. I've gone for a desert theme because thems the colours I had in my paints box (and it keeps a theme because I recently picked up a 1/35 Pink Panther Land Rover which will be my next build) I have used Citadel/Games Workshop paints. I did a base coat of Zandri Dust which is a yellow-ish sand colour, with a heavy dry brush of Rakarth Flesh which is a more earthy shade. Next will be a lighter dry brush using Ushabti Bone, then I will be getting on with the final build, assembly and markings, although I still haven't decided if I'm going to use the markings that came in the box or source some third party transfers. Apologies for the quality of the photo, I don't have a super fancy camera, so I used a potato my phone. View attachment 381414
My old Regt 2RTR were out in Libya in the late 50s I’ll try and download a couple of colour photos from our forum and get some tac marks as well.

Hope these help, shows how the lads stowed kit like bivvie camnet etc also the flower baskets for camming up.
My Saladin 07BB34 broken down in the Black mountains..JPG
Saladin 07BB75 (Lt Wilson, Tpr Messenger and Peake descending the escarpment.JPG
001.jpg
img728.jpg
My Saladin 07BB34 broken down in the Black mountains..JPG
Saladin 07BB75 (Lt Wilson, Tpr Messenger and Peake descending the escarpment.JPG
001.jpg
img728.jpg
My crew, Bob Peake, Self & Bill Philips, at Fort Bir Dufan, Libya..JPG
The Jerry cans with white highlighted pressings are for water.
All Sqns used call signs marked inside Sqn tac sign on turret sides.
2RTR Sqns are named, not ABC, but AJAX BADGER CYCLOPS and rear echelon NERO. Reccie Sqn HUNTSMAN.

Last edited:
I ment to add, the last colour photo, the lads are in black coveralls, pre 1960 they worn desert dress, but when required buff tank suits.
Another edit..... During that period the RAC Red/Yellow tac badge on the right also had 2RTR across the top in a white bar. The division tac signs I belive are green and white back ground.

Last edited:
Always liked this photo:

Aden_Sheikh_Othman_1967.jpg