Builds 1/35 scale Saladin Armoured Car Mk 2

I do like those tank suits
The originals were issued to AFV crews in NW Europe in the winter of 1944/45. They were called pixie suits at the time. I know an old bloke who served with 2HCR/Royal Horse Guards at the end of the war who reckons they were the dogs' danglers.

Edited for typing incompetence or a Polish keyboard....

Last edited:
seems to be going together ok, how are you finding fit of parts, I built their MBT70 from black label, and nothing to do with Carling. The MBT70 was great fit if you carefully followed thew instructions to the complex suspension.

The kit goes together really well with almost no fettling, but yes, you have to pay close attention to the instructions for the really complex parts like the suspension. Quite an enjoyable build. I'll be posting more photos as soon as I've done some more, but it won't be for a few days because I'll be working.

No I haven't. i didn't realise there were incorrect parts. I'll have a look round now though. Thanks for the heads up.
Hatches are wrong. I think the mount for the 30 cal is missing as well. It’s trivia but if you have OCD it will irritate to know you’ve got bits wrong.

There’s a set of resin wheels as well

Hatches are wrong. I think the mount for the 30 cal is missing as well. It’s trivia but if you have OCD like most of the posters here, it will irritate to know you’ve got bits wrong.

There’s a set of resin wheels as well
whistles to himself while keeping an eye out for the expected taxi to arrive :)

Are the seaside pics the ranges at Akamas?
On the range at Akamas in my Saladin, I started to give the order to engage a transport target moving left, STOP,! Came from the gunnery bunny on the back deck , there are no moving targets on this range!

Apparently a couple of the locals fancied the wood frame and were behind the screen nicking the target

2RTR, were in Libya early 1960s they had Saladins Saricans Ferrits REME were equipped with M9 halftracks. All painted Sand, I’ve see colour photos of the boys out on exercise, wearing a right mixture of kit. From baseball boots flip flops ww2 tank suits.

You're far too young to have served in one of these Loops !

In the late 1980's they were still in service in Sri Lanka, cos they came to us for ammunition, of which we had several thousand rds.

FCO got their knickers in a twist about (76mm?) Canister so they went elsewhere.

Think up till early 90's the Omani Army had a few left over.

Bit of the history here: FV601 Saladin - Tanks Encylcopedia

- and for the truly nostalgic you can't beat a bit of Pathe News ;-D

Not bad for something based on the M38 Wolfhound Armored car

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
( which few of us have heard of, as it was never adopted into US service so......)

" It was designed as a replacement for the M8 Greyhound series, but the end of the war in 1945 led to the cancellation of the project after the completion of a handful of prototype vehicles. The layout of the M38 had similarities with the Alvis Saladin, a post-war British armored car, but there was no link between them.[2] "
Source

As a bit of useless info, the Aussies took the complete turrets off some of their Sarasans and fitted them to M113s for local fire support around the paddy fields, where wheeled vehicals feared to tread.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
1542581138664.png

Is this the combo you refer to ?
1542581353959.png

Every day a college day for me on Arrse... I did not know that the worthy Centurion had also seen combat service in Vietnam...live and learn...

View attachment 362393

Is this the combo you refer to ? View attachment 362394

Every day a college day for me on Arrse... I did not know that the worthy Centurion had also seen combat service in Vietnam...live and learn...
That's the bugger, when I lived in Oz my next door neighbour was a Vietnam Vet, he told me about them.
Later upgraded with Scorpion turrets.
I think they are still in service,happy to be corrected if I am wrong.