Builds 1/35 scale Saladin Armoured Car Mk 2

Further from my thread here, this is the build of my 1/35 Saladin Armoured Car Mk 2. The kit is a Dragon Black Label. This is not a manufacturer I have had any experience with, but I have heard of. Regarding the quality of the kit, it is excellent. Almost no flash at all, no holes from casting and the parts all fit together with very little fettling. The only cleaning I had to do on the sprues (aside from the usual wash in warm water) is from where I have removed the part from the sprue which is to be expected. So far I have completed the main hull, which went together well. There are a lot of tiny, fiddly pieces, of which I managed to drop every single one at least once because its not proper model building if you don't. Next up is the suspension and running gear ready for the wheels to be attached, but I'll prime it before the wheels go on.

Attachments

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You're far too young to have served in one of these Loops !

In the late 1980's they were still in service in Sri Lanka, cos they came to us for ammunition, of which we had several thousand rds.

FCO got their knickers in a twist about (76mm?) Canister so they went elsewhere.

Think up till early 90's the Omani Army had a few left over.

As recently as 2009 it was still used by the Honduras and Sri Lanka in police duties (Sri Lankan Civil War). In 2014 it was still in service with the Indonesian KOSTRAD Cavalry Battalion and KOSTRAD Recon Company. Nowadays most are retired and in storage but many can be purchased by private collectors at relatively low cost.

Bit of the history here: FV601 Saladin - Tanks Encylcopedia

- and for the truly nostalgic you can't beat a bit of Pathe News ;-D

Dragon Black Label is just Dragon models latest marketing wheeze, they've used titles such as "Shanghai-Dragon", "Cyber-Hobby", "Smart Kits", "Generation2", "2-in-1", "3-in-1" in the past.....somebody in the marketing department must think its a good idea :)

Looks like a nice kit BTW

In the late 1980's they were still in service in Sri Lanka...
ISTR the RTR had them in Cyprus up until the late '80s?

In the late 1980's they were still in service in Sri Lanka, cos they came to us for ammunition, of which we had several thousand rds.

FCO got their knickers in a twist about (76mm?) Canister so they went elsewhere.

You're right, Goats, but I've always like the look of the Saladin, and bought the kit coz its a bit different to grown up tanks or land rovers.

Last edited:
Update #2.

Got the suspension and bits done. Again, tons of tiny fiddly bits, a lot of which were no glue required, so they kept dropping off at inconvenient moments. Apologies for the quality of the photos, I don't have a proper camera handy so I used my phone.

Now on to building the turret and wheels, then get everything primed, painted and put together.

Attachments

Last edited:

ugly

LE

I do like those tank suits

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
heee...some kind of hussar outfit? @AlienFTM would know

and prominently wearing the brand-new issue 58 pattern webbing ?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
ISTR the RTR had them in Cyprus up until the late '80s?
a squadron (not necessarily A Squadron) of 15/19H had Saladin in Cyprus with the Armoured Car Squadron in the early 80s. A few years later, another squadron didn't.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Double eagle capbadge on display in the video... QDG?

Update #2.

Got the suspension and bits done. Again, tons of tiny fiddly bits, a lot of which were no glue required, so they kept dropping off at inconvenient moments. Apologies for the quality of the photos, I don't have a proper camera handy so I used my phone.

Now on to building the turret and wheels, then get everything primed, painted and put together.
seems to be going together ok, how are you finding fit of parts, I built their MBT70 from black label, and nothing to do with Carling. The MBT70 was great fit if you carefully followed thew instructions to the complex suspension.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
oooh-arrrr!

There is aftermarket for this kit as there are a few bits wrong with it. Have you had a look at what's available?

Latest Threads