Builds 1/32 TBM-3 Gruman Avenger from Trumpter

This is what it will look like when assembled

IMG_9095.jpg

Loads to do on it yet, and may be back on it on boxing day.

That's looking rather tidy.

Repeat after me: Boxing Day, wokka, Boxing Day, wokka, must restart wokka, wokka needs attention......repeat
If I crack most of the interior tomoz then I will be on the Wokka. One mental barrier to get through and it’s off!!

Managed to get a bit of time in today

IMG_3728.jpg

That's two of the three oxygen tanks for the aircrew on the way.

A bit more progress today

IMG_2512.jpg

engine not fixed yet. This is going to be a pig to get into the fuselage

Thats coming along nicely Si....is that the kit seat BTW?
Thank you. Quite pleased so far. It goes together quite well, and yep, it’s the kit seat.

FAA colours - Vallejo. Any clues @daz ? I think you did one recently. No worries if you’ve not got them handy - I’ll have a dig around for them.

daz

LE
Thank you. Quite pleased so far. It goes together quite well, and yep, it’s the kit seat.

FAA colours - Vallejo. Any clues @daz ? I think you did one recently. No worries if you’ve not got them handy - I’ll have a dig around for them.
It would be this one,
Vallejo Model Air Paint Set - RAF & FAA (Fleet Air Arm) Colors 1939-45 - 71147
  • 71.057 - Black
  • 71.110 - Dark Grey
  • 71.279 - Insignia White
  • 71.302 - Sky Type S
  • 71.309 - Dark Slate Grey
  • 71.405 - BS Dark Sea Grey
  • 71.406 - Light Slate Grey
  • 71.407 - Sky Grey
There's also one by Hataka - RAF Coastal Command & RN FAA Acrylic Paint Set

daz

LE
I should of added, you might need some yank colours depending on what one your building, some of the air frames were painted in the US equivalent colours

Ps, not bad for a kit seat BTW

I should of added, you might need some yank colours depending on what one your building, some of the air frames were painted in the US equivalent colours

Ps, not bad for a kit seat BTW
IMG_4326.jpg

Bit of wet n dry needed just to the top left of the head cushty and the cushty wants a bit more leather on, but the seat is as you say, pretty good.

IMG_9277.jpg

loads to do on this still, but grabbed another half hour on it.

It would be this one,
Vallejo Model Air Paint Set - RAF & FAA (Fleet Air Arm) Colors 1939-45 - 71147
  • 71.057 - Black
  • 71.110 - Dark Grey
  • 71.279 - Insignia White
  • 71.302 - Sky Type S
  • 71.309 - Dark Slate Grey
  • 71.405 - BS Dark Sea Grey
  • 71.406 - Light Slate Grey
  • 71.407 - Sky Grey
There's also one by Hataka - RAF Coastal Command & RN FAA Acrylic Paint Set
I slated Hataka on Britmodeller - the firs batch of all of their paints went off after a month in storage. I'm reluctant to use the stuff.

Ta for the others - I'm going for a late version so the 3 not the 1 and I reckon is will have the black and white stripes on it, so one of the Avengers patrolling the Channel

daz

LE
View attachment 368532
Bit of wet n dry needed just to the top left of the head cushty and the cushty wants a bit more leather on, but the seat is as you say, pretty good.

View attachment 368533
loads to do on this still, but grabbed another half hour on it.

I slated Hataka on Britmodeller - the firs batch of all of their paints went off after a month in storage. I'm reluctant to use the stuff.

Ta for the others - I'm going for a late version so the 3 not the 1 and I reckon is will have the black and white stripes on it, so one of the Avengers patrolling the Channel
Nicked from Britmod

FAA AVENGERS (TARPONS until January 1944)

Production details and Exterior/interior colours

Wheel wells, struts and covers were normally the underside colour. The wheel wells on camouflaged TBF/TBMs of the RN were usually either painted to match the undersides Sky or in a few cases bright yellowy-green Zinc Chromate.

US colours used for TSS

Grumman used MAP colours, Eastern used ANA substitutes.

Grumman--Dark Slate Grey (FS 34096), Extra Dark Sea Grey (FS 36118), Sky (FS 34583).

Grumman used equivalent paint shades, ie colours that matched the official British colours and not substitutes ie colours that, while not matching British colours, were officially approved as being acceptable alternatives. The paint used by Grumman throughout the war on camouflaged British aircraft may not have been made in Britain but it was indistinguishable from paint that was.

Eastern-- Olive Drab ANA 613 (FS 34130), Sea Grey ANA 603 (FS 36173), Sky (FS 34504).

Sea Grey ANA 603 was British Extra Dark Sea Grey so wasn't a substitute as such.

Sky Type S Gray ANA 610 was meant to be equivalent to British TSS Sky as well but there was apparently a difference.

There was no ANA equivalent for Sky simply because at the time of the ANA consolidation it was not required by any service as a paint colour. 'Sky Type S Gray' (or Grey) was terminology used by Dupont for its Sky equivalent paint 71-021 and is nowhere near FS 36373 in appearance by any measure. British requirements for Sky under surfaces were commonly communicated and specified as 'Duck Egg Blue' rather than as any form of grey. The ANA 610 standard for Sky is close to FS 24424 and was retained until 1949 when it was superseded by FS 34424.

Black appears to have been painted over the nose and down the side, sometimes right down the side, back to the leading edge of the wing on some Temperate Sea Scheme /Anti Submarine camouflaged squadrons on North Atlantic/Norway operations

BTW, Grumman-built Avengers were normal "hard" edged, the Eastern built versions tended to be "soft" edged

bit more progress

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

Quite a lot to do still, but its heading in the right direction.

so apart from the fact that it looks like this lad has had ten bells of shit beaten out of him, the debate is do I hack to bits this RAF Typhoon pilot to get him in the seat and get him to fit?

IMG_3170.jpg

2nd image is an F6F Hellcat
It is. I lifted a set of colourised FAA snaps to pad out the thread with some interesting shots, just to liven it up a bit

daz

LE

Thinking about it, the last FAA build of mine was the first Hellcat.... that was back in June 2017 :)
WP_20170520_011.jpg

daz

LE
Dunno if anyone noticed but the a/c in the third has got a bent prop and exhaust ring cowling has got a nasty dent on the bottom.
Not as bent as this one :)

0303007.jpg

daz

LE
so apart from the fact that it looks like this lad has had ten bells of shit beaten out of him, the debate is do I hack to bits this RAF Typhoon pilot to get him in the seat and get him to fit?

View attachment 368908

Nooooooo, get a Typhoon to stick him in :)

BTW, cockpit shot for you :)
3259384f3e90aa515b24b41cc888ac07.jpg

Latest Threads