Builds 1/32 TBM-3 Gruman Avenger from Trumpter

Starting to look like a planey thing now. Makes a difference once the fuselage is closed up.
It is and I’ve got some decisions to make soon

C5A29D2B-D1E3-4D40-B26C-6022AFE24ACE.jpeg

So if I do it deep US navy blue but with FAA markings, the decision is so I weather it or do I do it like your Corsair which was factory finish? If I weather it then it will need aluminium and chromo green spraying on top of the black primer before the blue goes on.

the problem I have at the minute is I can’t find a good source of colour photos of the avenger in WW2 - there appears to be bugger all about

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

View attachment 436035
So if I do it deep US navy blue but with FAA markings, the decision is so I weather it or do I do it like your Corsair which was factory finish? If I weather it then it will need aluminium and chromo green spraying on top of the black primer before the blue goes on.

the problem I have at the minute is I can’t find a good source of colour photos of the avenger in WW2 - there appears to be bugger all about
Given what you've said previously, I'd plump for USN blue with FAA markings - and nice and fresh. It's be historically accurate, and not everything has to be weathered to death (which would be a nice contrast with the Dauntless).

Given what you've said previously, I'd plump for USN blue with FAA markings - and nice and fresh. It's be historically accurate, and not everything has to be weathered to death (which would be a nice contrast with the Dauntless).
Pacific planes got hammered. I don’t think the wear and tear over the channel will have been anything like the Pacific theatre. Also suspect the planes that came over at the end of the war from the States saw very little action, so nice and shiny it is

PFGEN

GCM

View attachment 436035

I had a shuftie for some photos in the books I have as pdf but not a lot in colour other than a couple of museum offerings but nothing from the period itself. Some of the black and white ones don't look all that weathered. That's in contrast to the Corsair and Dauntless where the frames seem to have taken a right beating from the jungle strips in the Far East.

See? I was being nice.

The Avenger.

You've had a couple of hours now...
been pumping iron in my quest for a god like body..... Just got back.

The good news is the spare set of rotors arrived for the Wokka today though :)

I'm going to try and get the Avenger mostly assembled and primed this week so its pretty much on its way to being put to bed before I restart the epic build again:rolleyes:

I had a shuftie for some photos in the books I have as pdf but not a lot in colour other than a couple of museum offerings but nothing from the period itself. Some of the black and white ones don't look all that weathered. That's in contrast to the Corsair and Dauntless where the frames seem to have taken a right beating from the jungle strips in the Far East.
Yep that's pretty much what I've found when trawling around. A lot of inconsistencies in the restorations that are flying, such as colour of landing gear, and the colour of the wing formers where the wings join when unfolded - some white, some navy blue and some chromo green as the engine mount where I've seen it chrome even. Very few colour wartime piccies other than ones that appear to have been coloured b/w ones. It seems to be one of the least photographed planes in WW2

PFGEN

GCM
Yep that's pretty much what I've found when trawling around. A lot of inconsistencies in the restorations that are flying, such as colour of landing gear, and the colour of the wing formers where the wings join when unfolded - some white, some navy blue and some chromo green as the engine mount where I've seen it chrome even. Very few colour wartime piccies other than ones that appear to have been coloured b/w ones. It seems to be one of the least photographed planes in WW2
I found with the Corsair that there were a lot of variations in interior colour schemes in the wartime versions. Seems that chroma green was the de facto standard but that didn't stop aircraft turning up with other colours. I eventually chose a scheme and just went for it.

Probably shouldn’t have done that just yet......

1AE5BA2E-25E7-48E2-9881-02DCB82E6359.jpeg

It is fcuking massive

C79FA6C6-065F-46DF-B86B-9D3E0C299F49.jpeg

I mean huge

9B54EF4B-2F4C-4F1F-A2B3-6EE939F142F3.jpeg

There’s a can of pop so you can see how bloody big this thing is

You're gonna need a bigger piano!
certainly will she’s taken her bat and ball home cause she wants all her Christmas shite up in the living room so I’m having to move this lot from under her piano!

B7264791-CCE8-4335-8DA3-F7EFD59AE4D0.jpeg

Oyibo

LE
I'm intrigued. That Lancaster kit, what are the whiskies below it?

I've about 1000 kits in my stash (mostly 1:72) your Lancaster would occupy the space of about 100 of them.
Not my Lancaster stash though. ;)
There’s kits all over the place. If she saw them in one place she’d go fcuking mental!!

I'm intrigued. That Lancaster kit, what are the whiskies below it?
probably a macallan and talisker. Not that shite chivers regal rubbish the mrs’ brother makes me drink.....

Oyibo

LE
probably a macallan and talisker. Not that shite chivers regal rubbish the mrs’ brother makes me drink.....
Talisker. Nice.

Latest Threads