Builds 1/32 TBM-3 Gruman Avenger from Trumpter

This is a spill over from the Pacific build, and @daz has managed to get me into bloody planes.... so I now have about 4 overspills from the Pacific build, including another Dauntless and a Hellcat which I'll have to work through when I've finished the Wokka this Christmas.

IMG_3261.jpg

I picked it up form Waltbay as you may gather from the box and got a reasonable price on it. Cant remember how much though.

Anyway. It is big. Bigger than the Dauntless, so I may do it with the wings folded.

I started the engine ages ago but had a mental block on the wiring for the plugs, but I'm finally through that

IMG_2561 2.jpg

That was it in progress in the final furlong yesterday afternoon. I need to find a better way of wiring these plugs when I do another one as supergluing them is shite. It works, but its not very tidy - not that you can see any of it when the engine is in.

IMG_8154.jpg

This is full of ejector pin marks as you can see. The filler has gone off as I've not used it for donkies, but hopefully it will stick or I'm in the shite til after boxing day as I'll need to get to a shop.
IMG_3226.jpg

Quite good progress last night on this - none of it fixed yet and the big debate is do I put a pilot in. I quite like to see them with a bloke in, but if the wings are folded there aint a lot of point (obviously). Need to have a think about that one.

IMG_5762.jpg

Wiring of plugs done, but I I need to get the exhausts primed now and the rest of last nights construction work

IMG_7443.jpg

IMG_3575.jpg

It is not humanly possible to build at the speed and rate of @SPROCKET321 but this one may be over by the New Year. Well. The interior may be done anyway.....

Handy engine for the ref @Simmerit .....its also one of the reasons why the Wildcat is languishing in the junk pile....... note where the wiring fits though at the top of the block, sadly missing on the kit :(
_tbf.jpg

Looking forward to the build .... if for no other reason than it might give me inspiration to build this at some stage

fbt.jpg

Tempting, but I've only got pacific fleet paint. At the rate I do these though I've got plenty time to get a different set of colours!!

Screenshot 2018-12-23 at 12.44.43.jpg

Go the bomb bay done.

IMG_2850.jpg

So there are four different options for the bomb bay. One if a whopping great fuel tank, there is a torpedo or two different sets of bombs. Probably going for one of the bomb configs.

The plan goes together pretty easy, which is nice.

IMG_0343.jpg

so its ready to prime the interior now and various bits of the cockpit before assembly.

black primer on, so tomoz its aluminium in the areas where there is wear and tear and I'll be back on it Boxing day hopefully

IMG_4315.jpg

So FAA gets more tempting

1 imageproxy.jpeg

2 imageproxy.jpeg

3 imageproxy.jpeg

4 imageproxy.jpeg

5 imageproxy.jpeg

6 imageproxy.jpeg

7 imageproxy.jpeg

8 imageproxy.jpeg

9 imageproxy.jpeg

10 imageproxy.jpeg

11 imageproxy.jpeg

You've got to do it as a diorama, as the photo with the chap on the ladder. Thats a fantastic shot. Would be different and a head turner too!

I dug some more snaps out last night and had a little read about it in service with the FAA.

It was used to patrol the channel during the invasion - hence the stripes. Quite tempted by the one as it’s unusual. I’m 98% there on doing an FAA variant - only problem is I’ve just spend 35 quid on three US figures for the bloody thing....

Thinking on - this could be my D-day submission! As @PFGEN says, it will need a serious bit of weathering

I dug some more snaps out last night and had a little read about it in service with the FAA.

It was used to patrol the channel during the invasion - hence the stripes. Quite tempted by the one as it’s unusual. I’m 98% there on doing an FAA variant - only problem is I’ve just spend 35 quid on three US figures for the bloody thing....

Thinking on - this could be my D-day submission! As @PFGEN says, it will need a serious bit of weathering
The choice of schemes is interesting. That mostly white one would be quite something.

I’ll play my ace card: the Dauntless. We’re due an FAA scheme from you.

[Work done, here. Pours himself large seasonal sherry...]

The choice of schemes is interesting. That mostly white one would be quite something.

I’ll play my ace card: the Dauntless. We’re due an FAA scheme from you.

[Work done, here. Pours himself large seasonal sherry...]
Dammit. But so would the Far Eastern one.

[Pours another sherry...]

Its never too early for a sherry...........

Not sure what to do with the second Dauntless yet - its a early variant.

Decision made on the Avenger though - FAA it is.

I've got a 1/32nd Tiffy and Spit to do yet.... and the Wokka - lets not forget the Wokka.

Waiting for the next instalment is the only reason I’m still on this site, and haven’t moved over to Mumsnet.
It’s back on the piano, so it’s close to making it to the kitchen table after Boxing Day. The only thing stopping me cracking on is a mental block on one silly bit

Latest Threads