Builds 1/32 Napoleonic area classic collectors series Mounted Figures by Airfix

after being given a few of these, I'm now an avid collector of the series, that said, I like to build too, so I'll collect a mint one, and build a less than perfect one, and you can still obtain less than mint examples for under a tenner.
box art of several kits.jpg

I got these two for under a tenner, the Scotts Grey is complete and unstarted, but the Frenchie is started, rather badly. But appears to be complete.
box backs.jpg

I do like a challenge, and there's no challenge more satisfying than taking a model someone else has messed up and turning it into something worth displaying, this French Cuirassier fits that category, the previous owner has screwed it up and given up on the build.
half made kit.jpg

the Grey is in mint, unstarted condition, so I'll make that second,
plastic parts on the trees.jpg

lets clean up the Frenchman and see what we've got.

the Horse looks to have been poorly joined and painted in....don't know.
half made kit cu horse head.jpg

the figure looks like he has shat himself, and the look on his face confirms it, that'll need stripping and taking apart.
half made kit rider b.jpg

Chef

LE
30p for a mounted 54mm figure and as I recall they were pretty good for the time.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I made all of them in the 70s, as good an intro to 54mm figure modelling as a 14 year old could manage. I nearly picked up a boxful at an auction but the price got too high. I did get this lot though:

3DD79351-43F0-42C8-AF11-72CE5E736596.jpeg

after cleaning up the Horse rider and the saddle, here they are in primer, not too badly off despite their bodged beginnings. They should take paint rather well now. one thing I've noticed that's missing, the blade and scabbard of his sword, the ornate handguard is still on the sprue.
in primer the three main.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
after cleaning up the Horse rider and the saddle, here they are in primer, not too badly off despite their bodged beginnings. They should take paint rather well now. one thing I've noticed that's missing, the blade and scabbard of his sword, the ornate handguard is still on the sprue.
View attachment 583811
In that scale, stiff card will do for both, if you've nothing in the spares box.

Yes, I was thinking of cutting one out in plasticard, and PE scrap, might be more accurate than cardboard. I've started painting the rider, lots of detail work to go on there, thin white lines, for now I've got a Garden fence to replace, so I'll crack back on with the little Frog in a day or two.
starting ti paint rider.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, I was thinking of cutting one out in plasticard, and PE scrap, might be more accurate than cardboard. I've started painting the rider, lots of detail work to go on there, thin white lines, for now I've got a Garden fence to replace, so I'll crack back on with the little Frog in a day or two.
View attachment 583917
Let me have a check in the spares warehouse....

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Any good?

1FA648F1-B5D9-41F0-BC09-3AF8EC4AEDEC.jpeg

Or anything in here?

D4ED0FF1-7A36-4E4E-BC95-386472029512.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
very kind offer, many thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing how I can do scratching one up, can I get back to you if my efforts are woeful, that sword in the sheath would be a good sub as he comes with a pistol, your spares organisation is impressive.
Of course, my spares are your spares…;-)

Latest Threads