• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Builds 1/32 Douglas Dauntless SBD5 from Trumpeter

Managed to get some time in at the crack of dawn this morning.

IMG_2003.jpg

So thats both wings, tail and fuselage done with the grey.

IMG_2004.jpg

I didnt mention, but I made start on the canopy. This is three sets of glass after a single coat of the big bottle of floor polish earlier in the thread.

IMG_2005.jpg

So thats the first coat. I'll dip them in into again tonight then leave em for 48 hours before touching them. You normally leave them 24 hours between coats and and two coats is enough. There are two more pieces of glass making up the full canopy, so they and all the other glass on the thing need two coats of the floor polish. The effect leaves the plastic looking like glass.

The plane now needs leaving for a week for the oils to go off and harden. Once thats done, I'll make a start on the yellow and brown to weather the fuselage further. I'm not going to go over the top as I've seen loads of great models ruined by people overdoing it.

Thats means its onto the .30 cal machine gun for the rear gunner, and a few other bits need buidling which I've not done yet.

One other point worth making about the gloss varnish is done worry if you overdo it (I may have too much panel wash on one of the undersurfaces of the wings - once its dry, you can lightly run is down with wet and dry without damaging the paint. Exciting eh?

Got the .30 cal assembled

IMG_2013.jpg

I was going to leave the plastic barrels on, but on balance

IMG_2016.jpg

@Cold_Collation - you are right mate - its got to be done

gun.jpg

where I need to get to to nail the gun

You just need to build the body of the gun out of etched now Si :)
No etch shipped with it unfortunately apart from the gun site.

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2026.JPG

so tonights joyous task it to make a work on the glass with these

IMG_2030.jpg

well thats taken about 45 minutes. What an utter pain in the arrse that was

IMG_2033 2.jpg

Not sure what to do about painting as it should be green oxide on the inside but I need to undercoat it with black. hmm

well thats taken about 45 minutes. What an utter pain in the arrse that was

View attachment 354615

Not sure what to do about painting as it should be green oxide on the inside but I need to undercoat it with black. hmm
Green, metal, top colour? maybe?

Trying that on mine via the outside as there's nothing to mask on the inside, hence base coat of interior green, overcoat with metal, top coated with IJN dark green applied externally

Trying that on mine via the outside as there's nothing to mask on the inside, hence base coat of interior green, overcoat with metal, top coated with IJN dark green applied externally
Thats exactly what I'm going to do. I did consider masking the interior but it looks too hard

so here is the base coat which is green - should show up OK on the inside of the canopy

IMG_2061.jpg

and dull alu applied

IMG_2041.jpg

so next is a combination of hairspray (yes hairspray) and masking fluid on the green and alloy

there you go
IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

Still got three more bits of glass to do

so with the exception of the grey oils, these are done.

IMG_2076.jpg

The oils will fade the blue, green and aluminium giving them a slightly beaten look.

IMG_2072.jpg

Made a start on the .30 cal - the barrels will go and be replaced with the brass ones.

IMG_2075.jpg

The step needs aluminium paining to represent worn paint where the pilots foot scuffed it

IMG_2074.jpg

There is the glasswork thats done if you are interested.

IMG_2073.jpg

For those of you in the southern hemisphere, you can read the colours:)

Whats I will be doing with these is mixing green to dapple on the fuselage and wings to break up the sea of grey and break it down a little.

IMG_2078.jpg

and here it is at the minute. Still got about a weeks worth of work to do on it, maybe two. Have to see how I get on.

Its not so much the very impressive woek in the build I like , its the weathering that just makes it look authentic.. fantastic work Simmerit

Its not so much the very impressive woek in the build I like , its the weathering that just makes it look authentic.. fantastic work Simmerit
Thank you. I'm quite pleased with it so far - there is always a risk with these things that you overdo them. The next bit re the green oils will make or break it..

Some cracking work going on with other lads builds also, and we are hoping to encourage other to have a go

IMG_2082.jpg

Not planning to do anymore to the glass. .30 Cal next!!