1/3 of mothers have kids they can't afford

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sunnoficarus, Apr 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking at some of the fat Kyle material pushing multiple rugrats around this thread should read 1/3 of women have kids I can't afford.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. How ever did people manage when wives didn't work? Whining creatures, get an allotment keep pigs and hens, grow vegetables. It worked out fine for my parents oh and my dad stopped drinking to afford a family and my parents never went out.
  3. you missed out the word "purple"
  4. And 'heart'
  5. What did they think would happen?

Lets see:

I am not earning as much - but I am spending more money.
    Mysteriously, my bank balance is getting more into the red (or closer to empty, depending on level of savings).

Not rocket science is it?
  6. Wimmin, capable of multitasking - as long as there is no requirement for basic logic in any of the tasks
  7. My parents were a Government Civil Engineer & a housewife, although my Mother did go back to work (as a Financial Controller) when it came to paying school fees for me & my sister. We seemed to survive quite happily even on one not generous income. Indeed they’d paid off the mortgage if not before I left School then before I left University. Once my sister arrived we stopped having foreign holidays (Dad used to get free rail travel in Europe, so we used to make the most of it) and the family car (singular, although Dad’s MG went into storage until he could afford to run it again) was always serviceable but a bit of a banger.

I think the difference then was that if the folks wanted something they waited until they had the cash for it. They would also say, quite bluntly, that they couldn’t afford the latest toys for the kids & therefore I had my cousins’ Action Men & other toys & my very good model railway was largely second hand, & my Grandmother made a lot of my clothes, otherwise I had hand-me downs (try being the only kid in a Western Home Counties village wearing a completely out of date Norwich Canaries football jersey) & new ones came as birthday & Christmas presents.

Dad liked a beer in the village pub at weekends, but the parents very rarely ate out & we didn’t keep much booze in the house. They were also thrifty with food – we grew a lot & had a fair amount from my Grandmother’s garden while I still remember meat sauces being bulked out with Textured Vegetable Protein.

Nowadays the expectation seems to be that one has to have all new stuff & have it now. A mate knocked up one of my Sister’s secretaries & has done the decent thing by her. Knowing they were not well off* we offered a lot of MasterPlume’s old bits & bobs, only to be told (by the woman), “oh no, only the best new stuff for the baby!”

When it comes to eating & drinking the expectation amongst my friends & to a lesser extent myself is that there will always be a case of wine in the house & a good supply of beer. I tend to buy ready-made sandwiches & we have more ready meals & meals out than might be sensible, but part of that is because I work far longer hours than my Father did & want to maximise time with the Plume family rather than always slaving over a hot stove. I do love cooking though & can do so, well, from scratch, but even I sometimes think did I really need that rather expensive ingredient?

I’d also suggest that housing and other costs as a percentage of income have increased enormously. Not saying the childhood Plume Towers was huge, but it would be out of my reach financially nowadays.

*what grips my shit completely is that because the woman wanted another kid my mate obliged. Naturally we’re paying for the child through benefits (my mate lost his job, but his missus said she’d leave him if he didn’t agree to her spawning again) which I object to violently as we’d love to give MasterPlume a sibling, but can’t afford to.
    • Like Like x 13
  8. It is actually rocket science, when asking pregnant patients if they had planned to get pregnant a number say 'No' when asked if they were using contraception they also say 'No' when asked if they were having sex, they say 'Yes' but have no answer when asked 'What did you think would happen?'
    • Like Like x 4
  9. People coped with what they had. They didn't have the expectations that people today have.

We must have Sky/Vigin TV.
    We must have umpteen mobile phones in the household and a landline.
    We must go on holiday abroad every year at least once.
    We must be able to go down the pub/smoke/do whatever hobby floats our boat.
    We must have a car/2 cars in the household.
    We must be able to out for dinner at least once every month.
    We must have a 96" Plasma TV.
    We must have an Xbox/PS3.
    It's our right.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

A fine post Captain but, for some strange reason, I now have Dvorak's Symphony Number 9 playing in my head.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CaptainPlume I agree with much of what you say, my Dad worked down the pit, he had to go down the pit as he used to work on a farm the wages were too bad to afford more children.
    A lot of things have spiralled out of control price wise i've mentioned this before, just a few years ago things like butter were 50p a pack, not it's about £1.60, same with bread and many other common food items. Utility bills rise massively each year, we have to cut our cloth accordingly.
    If people want to give kids a good upbringing then the money has to come from somewhere.
    As for second hand clothes my school blazer had more names on the inside than I could count, worse hand-me-downs were my brothers orange and brown diamond patterned Y-Fronts.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. It's Hart, FFS! Think naff 70s/80s crime drama with Stephanie Powell (or was it Stephanie Beecham, or "nice software Stephanie", I can never remember which).
  13. Not trying to say we lived in penury, far from it. It's just I think my parents generally had money at the end of the month, while I often have month left at the end of the money!

I don't think I'm hugely profligate, but when I have saved the money has then been used to cover gaps between the contract work I've been doing. Four-five months without a contract a couple of years ago were great in terms of spending time watching MasterPlume grow up, but they bit hard into the savings.

Every morning I wake up & thank my stars I have a permanent job starting later in the year in an organisation which cannot downsize or outsourse the post I'm going to!
  14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I blame Geoffrey Howe, a woolly-minded Tory wet. When he was Chancellor he fell for the Wimmin's line that it wasn't fair that wives' salaries were not taken into account when a couple wanted a mortgage. So he changed the rules and INSTANTLY house prices went up so that the mortgage went up because the wives' salaries were there to help pay it, although of course there were no extra houses emerging instantly from GH's back pocket, i.e. same number of houses but more money to pay for them so house prices rose to meet the money available, obvious innit. End result, if you want a mortgage on a reasonable family property, it can't be done without two salaries to pay it.

The next howler was to stop mortgage interest being tax-deductable so that those already on a mortgage were immediately screwed (although this did bring down house porices a bit as the higher mortgage cost became less generally affordable).

Fortunately we were already tucked into Schloss Seaweed before all this happened & when I took early retirement from what I laughingly call my second career I paid off our mortgage in toto and balls to everybody & now it's gin o-clock.
    • Like Like x 2