1/3 of Army Top Brass to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squarehead

Old-Salt
Can anyone hazard a guess as to what sort of immediate pension and lump sum will they receive?

Just want to compare as I have worked for a living!

Down at the bottom of comments was this:

Christ where have all these come from!
A Battalion has around 500 to 600 men/women all ranks and are led by a half Colonel. While I am aware you need some senior military advisors we have more swords than rifles!
These numbers equal a Colonel for every 164 other ranks (based on the 82,000 figure for 2020 which does not even constitute an army) and a Brigadier for every 410 men/women.
Oh well some of the jobs for the boys had to go at some time!
If we could only follow this up by removing the jobs for the boys from the MOD then we may be able to afford some more soldiers.
We have more brogues on the ground than boots!

Are those figures ish accurate? I was always shit at work.....?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer

A Battalion has around 500 to 600 men/women all ranks and are led by a half Colonel. While I am aware you need some senior military advisors we have more swords than rifles!
These numbers equal a Colonel for every 164 other ranks (based on the 82,000 figure for 2020 which does not even constitute an army) and a Brigadier for every 410 men/women.
If we could only follow this up by removing the jobs for the boys from the MOD then we may be able to afford some more soldiers.

If the number of reported Colonels and 1*s are accurate, then the basic maths is right.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

A battalion of 5-600 men? Lucky. Last year's light Dragoons journal put the OrBat for a light cavalry regiment at iirc 325 heads. I know traditionally a batallion has a higher headcount than an RAC regiment, but this is half what it was in my day.

If the number of reported Colonels and 1*s are accurate, then the basic maths is right.

Well if someone at the treasury has looked at those 'numbers' I'm amazed they're only planning on shedding a third! Undoubtedly some ex senior officer members will be along in a moment to tell us how indispensible they all are?

jim30

LE
"If we could only follow this up by removing the jobs for the boys from the MOD then we may be able to afford some more soldiers."

I hear this phrase a lot - what specific 'jobs for the boys' do people mean when they use this phrase, and how does this differ from an SNCO or long serving JNCO being given a 'cushy number'. When you look at the ARRSE post on 'cushy billets' the majority of the best posts seemed to revolve around juniors and not seniors.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what sort of immediate pension and lump sum will they receive?

Just want to compare as I have worked for a living!

Exactly, even a mere Colonel's redundancy and resettlement package wont be anything to sniff at.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Exactly, even a mere Colonel's redundancy and resettlement package wont be anything to sniff at.

In the unlikely event that they are offered statutory redundancy terms; the most that they'll get is just over £13k.

MacDonald's are on the lookout for 4 stars. They have more troops than the army too.

"If we could only follow this up by removing the jobs for the boys from the MOD then we may be able to afford some more soldiers."

I hear this phrase a lot - what specific 'jobs for the boys' do people mean when they use this phrase, and how does this differ from an SNCO or long serving JNCO being given a 'cushy number'. When you look at the ARRSE post on 'cushy billets' the majority of the best posts seemed to revolve around juniors and not seniors.
These claims always amuse me. I have a feeling most who make them have never been in MOD. Certainly my usual haunt (5th floor) could hardly shoe-horn in any more desk for these amazing, newly created jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads