1:25k Black Mountains

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by gametheory, Mar 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Northern Black Mountains is OL13 not OL12. With OL12 you won't get the whole Black Mountains area.

You do know it rains in Brecon? I think therefore your question answers itself!

2. Great; had assumed 12 because it says "black mountains" in description and 13 gives no details on the os site.

Only reason I ask about w/proof is that I wasn't sure we might be expected to write on them in those gopping colored pencils (which would probably not do so well on the proofed map).

3. I was always given appropriate mapping to where we were going. I didn't go to Sandhurst that long ago...

4. OP did you get a foam roller too?! On my PCCBC (possibly on the same one as you) EVERYONE from the Instructors to the Ocdts raved about them, its the latest fad!

Other tips imparted to us included taking ribena to make the morning water drinking more palatable and a bin.

People seemed divided on whether printers and laminators are necessary though, what do you reckon?

T.

5. Sounds like we were on the same PCCBC. I already have a foam roller. It's not superlative, but it is nice, and if you get any ITB issues MANDATORY.

Apparently you get a bin in your room according to the staff. If not, tescos. And yeah, ribenaa winner.

Printer is mandatory, laminator you only need maybe 4-5 per group; though everyone needs shit tons of bags.

6. You will get issued a standard MoD metal bin. It will have the "crowsfoot" symbol inside it. My CSgt liked the crowsfoot to point North.

7. Most rooms have no bins in as an ESS thing to encourage recycling. 1:25k map is good advice, we got one for our Long Reach (I am currently Juniors so did LR a month ago) and it was the only map we really used as it shows so much more detail.

8. Do you mean it was issued or someone bought one and winner winner?

9. OK I'll bite as its been a long time. "Foam Roller"? what for or why.

10. Wah shield /
    Hard foam tube about a 60 cm long. You use it to massage areas of muscle after sport. Aids recovery and reduces soreness.

11. OK foam rolling:

"Foam Rolling is a Self Myofascial Release (SMFR) technique that is used by athletes and physical therapists to inhibit overactive muscles. This form of stretching utilizes the concept of autogenic inhibition to improve soft tissue extensibility, thus relaxing the muscle and allowing the activation of the antagonist muscle. Foam rollers offer many of the same benefits as a sports massage, but at a much cheaper price. The foam roller not only stretches muscles and tendons but it also breaks down soft tissue adhesions and scar tissue. By using your own body weight and a cylindrical foam roller you can perform a self-massage or myofascial release, break up trigger points, and soothe tight fascia while increasing blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues."

Taken from here:
    What is SMFR (Self-Myofascial Release)? – Jordan Fitness

What I can't find is any real research to show how it works. Phrases such as "autogenic inhibition" "breaks down soft tissue adhesions" are curious, any one know the background to this or is it one of those great word of mouth, my mate said things turned into a marketing opportunity.

12. Someone bought one that we cut down to size and laminated. Whoever was leading the leg would have the 1:25, worked well for us.

13. When I went through Long Reach was strictly issue kit only. The maps issued were 1:50000 and were the only ones to be used. A syndicate ŵas caught with a 1:25000 map none hills (by Capt N**l E*****d GRENS) and spent the next few weeks on Rops. Integrity is, or was taken quite seriously at RMAS

14. You don't need a 1:25,000 map for longreach, in fact it is pretty bad advice, you will get an admin instruction for long reach with a very basic list of what you are allowed to take, and i remember that it specifically bans maps other than the ones issued, not a great start to the course if you are caught cheating on the first test. A foam roller is encouraged by the PTI's as you will have very little/no time to stretch off after phys, and there are loads of guys with ITBS on the course now that could have prevented it by stretching off!