Builds 1/24 Scale Hawker Harrier airframe number XV744

one great time and effort saving thing I learnt today was, the winglets 744 flew with are supplied in the kit, yesss! ferry winglets, rather than those curved to vertical tips you see, great this is working out to be more straight forward than I had imagined.

Point of history: I had long thought that it hadn't 'won', so much as it won for an aircraft in its class (i.e. subsonic V/STOL).

There are stories of Harriers beating even F-15s in time-to-flight races; 'straight up' is useful whilst the other guy is still brakes-off and trundling out to the end of the runway.

Then I looked it up.

I'd assumed that there were supersonic aircraft taking part in the race - and, indeed, the fastest overall time in a Daily Mail Air Race is 5 hours 11 minutes for an RAF Phantom heading east to west (London to New York).

The Harrier you're building holds the record for the fastest overall west to east (New York to London) crossing: 6 hours 11 minutes.

Happy to have been put right.

Point of history: I had long thought that it hadn't 'won', so much as it won for an aircraft in its class (i.e. subsonic V/STOL).

There are stories of Harriers beating even F-15s in time-to-flight races; 'straight up' is useful whilst the other guy is still brakes-off and trundling out to the end of the runway.

Then I looked it up.

I'd assumed that there were supersonic aircraft taking part in the race - and, indeed, the fastest overall time in a Daily Mail Air Race is 5 hours 11 minutes for an RAF Phantom heading east to west (London to New York).

The Harrier you're building holds the record for the fastest overall west to east (New York to London) crossing: 6 hours 11 minutes.

Happy to have been put right.
AH, Yes, the Phantom, wasn't it RN?

the Pegasus engine in grey primer with the inside matt black. the intake is covered with a large fan. Same Halfords finest on the fuselage halves inside and out.

The engine goes in one half of the fuselage, not that you will see the engine when it's finished.

with both halves test fitted together, the cockpit needs work so I'm not ready for the big join yet.

the nozzles join onto the outputs of the Pegasus engine, some lining up needed here

Bloody hell man. Slow down - or at least royally f**k something up to make me feel better about my model-making ability, or lack thereof

Bloody hell man. Slow down - or at least royally f**k something up to make me feel better about my model-making ability, or lack thereof
Oi, thats my department :)

Minor point, the LP fan blades, I see they are painted blue in the cutaway photograph. In service they are bare metal not painted blue.

This old kit, especially as it's not been preserved in a box has warped in places, the wing. the port wing has a slight warp, the upper portion is ok, just the lower one, so hot water and weights...

Airfix chose to place their stamp on the inside surface of the main plane, out of sight once it's assembled, good move, Revell are you listening?

this massive pile of unused plastic will go right into the spares box, these Pilons, guns, rockets and missiles would have been a race loser in may 69, shame in a way, I might have to make a fully combat loaded one in 1/48 scale after this.

Airfix chose to place their stamp on the inside surface of the main plane, out of sight once it's assembled, good move, Revell are you listening?
Not a bloody hope in hell of that @SPROCKET321 :)

Cracking build BTW mate

the instrument panel under construction.

trial fit of the main wing with it's winglets fitted, next up, some wheels.
airscale decals in use??

the great advantage of having the original item on you door step, or rather in reasonable travel distance, is you can take the pictures you need at angles that shows you what you want to know.

the Airfix parts, best glued into position, or, like my 70's effort, it will just collapse. Might take a leaf out of daz's book and make some hydraulic lines