Builds 1/24 Scale Hawker Harrier airframe number XV744

Tangmere Aviation Museum have asked me to make them another model aircraft to display at the museum. The plane won the Atlantic air race in may 1969, the anniversary of the race is coming up next year so here we go, I'm using the Airfix 1/24 scale kit that I made when I was about 13, made a right cockup of it, so here's my chance to get it right this time. The kit of Ebay, no box, no decals, no instruction booklet.

I've trial fitted the fuselage halves together, they look like they will fit ok.
if you ever lose or buy a kit without the instructions just go to the Airfix Tribute forum, they have pages of the things on pdfs.

744 is sat outside in the rain at Tangmere, the original aircraft was the 7th airframe built, she was converted from GR1 to GR3 configuration in 1974 at RAF Wittering, here she is with her long GR3 nose.

Hope it's an early incarnation of the kit. Somehow later moldings have a canopy that is a little too wide, something to do with the kit being used as the basis for a Sea Harrier as well.
Heating it a bit in warm water helps but makes it a little high at the top. I vacformed one in the end.

well, all that from a newspaper protecting my flowery table cover. Went to Tangmere aviation museum today to find out a little more. The Race was organised in 1969, by the Daily Mail, The Harrier had to take off from a coal yard to get near enough to the start point, the GPO tower.
There was a sister plane that took part with a slightly different markings layout, XV741 in white letters on the nose, the only difference, my plane has the crest of the experimental Squadron, (part of 1 sqn) with it's own crest above the tail tri-colours.

the fuselage halves taped tightly together to re fix the warping.

the experimental squadron crest is the only part I don't have, my spares box turned up some RAF roundels of the right type, never throw anything away, decals wise that is.

these crests from the RAF Hong Kong mk22/24 Spitfire Sqn, in the spares box, might make a good base for the crest. just need to do a bit of Googling now. The Unit only lasted a year before it was amalgamated into 1 Sqn. So the Crest may not have been officially sanctioned. by the MOD.
Now I'm off to dust my Elastolin Hitler figure.

Hope it's an early incarnation of the kit. Somehow later moldings have a canopy that is a little too wide, something to do with the kit being used as the basis for a Sea Harrier as well.
Heating it a bit in warm water helps but makes it a little high at the top. I vacformed one in the end.
thanks for the Early warning on that Fred, I cut the canopy from the sprue for a test fit and it looks ok. I'm thinking of the Aircraft on the apron, canopy slid back with the pilot doing his pre flight checks from the cockpit, but could he close the canopy by himself or is that a ground crew task?

Latest Threads