Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds 1/16th scale M5A1 Stuart Light Tank

trial fit of the model, base, and glass case, all seems to fit well together. Two final things to do before sealing it all down, spattered mud on the rear fenders, add the tied down stowage with thread and pva glue. Let the drying process gas off before the vapour gets trapped in the glass.
glass case base and model trial fit.jpg

glass case base and model trial fit b.jpg

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Lovely work. So lovely that it's prompted me to try a massively over-complex diorama involving a PAK40, a Universal Carrier, Jeep and M5 with a difference. All this with very little in the way of artistic talent, modelling experience or skill. But it's better than drinking myself to death.

Quick question, I don't suppose you (or anyone else) have any idea where I can find a layout plan or picture for the turret well in the hull of an M5 recce variant? I'm making guesstimations from the photo evidence I have found, and from your drivers stations in this thread, but my Google-fu has failed me.

This is what I've done so far, but I need more data about the turret well layout:

1610277417902.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
...And with the upper body on:

1610277506908.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
When I say "done", nothing is glued in yet.

Cheers.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Lovely work. So lovely that it's prompted me to try a massively over-complex diorama involving a PAK40, a Universal Carrier, Jeep and M5 with a difference. All this with very little in the way of artistic talent, modelling experience or skill. But it's better than drinking myself to death.

Quick question, I don't suppose you (or anyone else) have any idea where I can find a layout plan or picture for the turret well in the hull of an M5 recce variant? I'm making guesstimations from the photo evidence I have found, and from your drivers stations in this thread, but my Google-fu has failed me.

This is what I've done so far, but I need more data about the turret well layout:

View attachment 537925
Any good?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Any good?

Thanks, sadly close but no cigar. I need a shot or plan of what is actually in the turret well...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Last edited:

Daz

LE

View attachment 537925
Blimey TMW you don't do things by halves, getting stuck into a major Diorama with no build up experience, when was the last time you had a go? mind you it will take drinking time down, so that's a plus, make that drink a celebration one when you make something you're happy with. Why don't you start a thread on it, we'll all pitch in with support.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Blimey TMW you don't do things by halves, getting stuck into a major Diorama with no build up experience, when was the last time you had a go? mind you it will take drinking time down, so that's a plus, make that drink a celebration one when you make something you're happy with. Why don't you start a thread on it, we'll all pitch in with support.
:omg:

Yes, I'm a fcuking idiot. The last time I did a big model build was about 5 years ago when I smashed my knee up and ended my military skiing career (coulda been a contender etc), when I built this:

1610284718104.png

It's basically the model I wanted to build about forty years ago, hence use of the Airfix bombed house and the fantasian German emplacement.

Since then, work, guns and family have kept me away from little plastic men (apart from a small sojourn when I had an operation on my back did a couple of other little ones).

Now that I'm going quietly insane with nothing to shoot and working from home , it's time to get it all out again. As a little practice piece, I'm making a 1/72 Matilda to see if I remember which end of the paintbrush I need to glue. I've bought a cheap airbrush which I haven't tried yet, and I have started the prep work for the interior of the Recce Scout as much as I can figure it out. fortunately, as well as the official manufacturer Recce version, British Theatre Workshops were knocking them out locally so there'll be a fair amount of artistic licence applied

So okay, I'll do a thread on how not to make accurate models. No laughing. Okay, not more than 75% laughing.

Latest Threads