Builds 1/12 scale Harley Davidson U.S. Army WLA motorcycle by IMEX

Building this next, I decided against the Lanc as Revell omitted the Crew, as I wanted it flying I'll have to leave the Lanc for now, Time for a military land vehicle model now anyway, ships and planes have been dominant in my build list of late, so let's take a look at the FLH.
box art two.jpg

box lid off, every sprue sealed safely in a bag.
box lid off.jpg

Not made any models from IMEX before, They were from Brooksville Fl, and this is kit number 468, so they brought a few out in their time. I think they've probably gone the way of the Dodo by now.
Here's the first step in the instructions, but there's no potted history that you get with companies like Airfix and Tamiya. So I've no idea the the WLA one nine eight oh was in service, 1980?
stage one assembly instructions.jpg

Last edited:
Well looking at the cover drawing, it’s definitely what HD aficionados call a “Shovel Head”, with the frame looking to be a stripped FLH. The FLH is the designation given to HDs full dressers ie Electra Glide. At that time HD were owned by AMF, who managed to stuff HD’s reputation right down the Swanny.
I’ve got the same scale WW2 WLA half made here, which I must finish!

back on the Shovel head, the crank case join sanded down almost invisible.
engine A crank case join a.jpg

the cylinder pots, these are molded in halves, this is the inside of the first one before cleaning up the flash.
Engine B inside cylinder pot.jpg

joining two halves together, filing the join line between those cooling vanes is a bit tricky, I use a needle file for that.
Engine C pot joined.jpg

joining the cylinders to the crank case, a nice strong join with plenty of contact area.
Engine D both pots on.jpg

RR mentioned the nickname shovel head was due to these shaped valve covers, getting the valve push rods to fit between the crank case and the valve covers requires some filing to get them to fit.
Engine D shovel head.jpg

the main thing about building any motorcycle kit, is patience, waiting for each stage to dry and harden off before moving on, patience pays off.
engine and push rod jubes to valve covers.jpg

the tires in the kit looked crap at first, they had a flash frill all around the centre of the tire where the two halves had been joined together (sorry no pic) I tried cutting, snipping and then melting with a hot screwdriver heated by the flame of a burner, turns out running the tire around the hot nozzle of the burner melted the frill/flash down a treat.
rear tyre.jpg

I'll look into that, or have a search through the spares box and so on, it'll get built at some stage, in a flying moonlite night glass case diorama.

I searched for 1/48 RAF Bomber crew for a Boston - managed to get some spare Tamiya Lanc crew from eBay cheaply, Barracuda do a good 2nd TAF type but pricey.

IMG_20211125_150027.png

Looking forward to the HD build - think it looks a bit chunky but there'll be easy photo reference for various sub assemblies and cable runs on t'internet.

the rear forks, prior to the pic above, had prominent mold lines running all the way around that was straight forward to sand down.
frame A rear forks.jpg
I searched for 1/48 RAF Bomber crew for a Boston - managed to get some spare Tamiya Lanc crew from eBay cheaply, Barracuda do a good 2nd TAF type but pricey.

View attachment 618061

Looking forward to the HD build - think it looks a bit chunky but there'll be easy photo reference for various sub assemblies and cable runs on t'internet.
very nice, but my Lanc kit is 1/72, I'll get crew for it from the spares box, never throw anything away.

I like building the odd Bike, but the real things scare me sh--less

back on the Shovel head, the crank case join sanded down almost invisible.
View attachment 618052
the cylinder pots, these are molded in halves, this is the inside of the first one before cleaning up the flash.
View attachment 618053
joining two halves together, filing the join line between those cooling vanes is a bit tricky, I use a needle file for that.
View attachment 618054
Hate to say this Harleys of that age have a Vertically split crank case, you could have left the seam! :rolleyes:

The famous WW2 WLA or C model was a Flathead as it was a side valve.
I had one of those, as a runabout.
46 cubic inch side valve v-twin.
The throttle and front brake lever were in the usual place. There was a twist grip on the left handlebar too, which operated ignition advance/retard. No handlebar lever on the left though, as the clutch was operated by the right foot, a heel and toe affair which could be placed in any position without springing into the engaged position. It meant that you could take your foot off and place it on the ground whilst the thing was in gear. It also helped in muddy going as you could put the clutch into a slipping mode whilst paddling with both legs.
Gear change was hand operated lever in a simple 3 speed gate on the side of the tank.

Got him pointing at his watch, nicely done:
And "checking the weather", which leads to purely coincidentally looking the other way while the ground crew put up the tents.
And as this is a modelling thread, someone will be along shortly to point out that the chap in the first picture is carrying the wrong sort of jerrycan

close up of the front tire tread after it's frill/molding flash has been shrunk with heat after being run around the burner nozzle.
tire tread close view.jpg

engine, and rear wheel assembly added to the bike frame.
engine and rear wheel mounted.jpg

Will you be putting a rider on it?

...complete with Stahlhelm?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Looking at that kit you might have been better carving it from a solid block of plastic, but impressive job as usual.

Building this next, I decided against the Lanc as Revell omitted the Crew, as I wanted it flying I'll have to leave the Lanc for now, Time for a military land vehicle model now anyway, ships and planes have been dominant in my build list of late, so let's take a look at the FLH.
View attachment 617717
box lid off, every sprue sealed safely in a bag.
View attachment 617718
Not made any models from IMEX before, They were from Brooksville Fl, and this is kit number 468, so they brought a few out in their time. I think they've probably gone the way of the Dodo by now.
Here's the first step in the instructions, but there's no potted history that you get with companies like Airfix and Tamiya. So I've no idea the the WLA one nine eight oh was in service, 1980?
View attachment 617719
1980? not a chance must be a typo

Latest Threads